Thursday 11 February 2021

A wonderful day

 


This is the view from the side window in Tam's bedroom.  She is glad she chose it. As you can see, still bitterly cold here and snow on the far hills (I think this is Carneddau).

Yesterday I had my Covid Vaccination.  I didn't have to go far - just down to the showground and it was all very professionally done.  I had a sore arm last night, took two Paracetamol and then needed an early night, if only to get in a warm bed as I felt a bit chilled.  Today I have a sore back, but it's worth it for the protection and the move back towards normality.

    Keith an I started the day with a short walk to account for half an hour (staying upright, due to medication he takes once a week).  It was chilly, but it freed up my back which has been VERY painful all day.  I am putting it down to the vaccination.  Painkillers aren't touching it (and it's the part of my back which has suffered recently with all the lifting).  I hope it will have eased a bit tomorrow.

    We pottered around today, went to drop a prescription request off at the Dr's, got the paper and a screwdriver and some painting hangers to put up some photos this afternoon.  We now have two pictures put up in those daft stick-on frames on the walls.  Some more will go up around the room tomorrow.  Then I'll take a photo.

    I have to say, we are now GREAT fans of the shutters - in such bitterly cold weather they really shut the cold out and I can see why a previous owner had them fitted.  When I see houses on tv where they don't have any curtains or blinds, I think they must be mad.  We have a window without the blind in the kitchen and that is about to have one ordered, and another for the glazed top half of the door behind our dairy table.  Both let a lot of cold air in with this Siberian weather.  

Above and below: Tam and I needed a walk late afternoon and here are some of the photos taken within half a mile of our new home.  We walked a mile out and back again.  We are SO fortunate.  It eased my back but I daren't sit down for too long at the moment.






As you can see, 365 degree views.  Even better than our views across to Black Mountain from our old home.
 


Finally, one photo from inside the house. This is our hallway - the Utility is the other side of this lovely stable partition.  The old driving bridle is about 100 years old and was a gift from a saddler friend of ours - it looks just right hanging there. 





26 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the continuing updates on your new house. I am trying to figure out where it is by the clues that you give.... I love that old bridle. I have a collection of horse brasses hanging in my house that were purchased in Wales by my first parents in law, and I inherited them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a couple of miles out of Built, Marlane. The Llandovery side, with the Eppynt range on the Brecon side of us. About 20 miles from Kington.

      Nice to have that link with Wales still.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful vistas.

    So right, why would anyone not have drapery or blinds on their windows especially during cold days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the fashion I guess. Must cost them a fortune in heating, having it going out the window glass!

      Delete
  3. Is it stone walls that fence the landscape into 'plots and pieces?' I'm envious of good walking paths. I haven't had the fortitude to do much trudging around the meadow the past few days--the weather is raw and bleak.
    Looking forward to more photos as you continue to improve the decor of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here Sharon it's mostly hedges, sometimes hedges on top of stone and earth banks. The hedges might just be cut by a flail or sometimes cut-and-laid in a style particular to Breconshire (as we are the very top corner here- I think the River Wye is the county boundary).

      There won't be much decorating happening just yet because of having the house rewired, but I am thinking we could do the back wall behind our bed and get rid of those ghastly stick-on frames! A bit worried they've been plastered in so we will have chunks of plaster coming off with them though!

      Delete
  4. Shutters are brilliant. The 1660 house my ex and I renovated had a Victorian extension, and the huge windows all had folding shutters. It's very satisfying, shutting out the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, shutting out the night when it's THIS cold is a great thing. I am absolutely SHRAMMED today - have been in and out topping up bird feeders, herding cats (literally), bringing in parcels etc. The heating has been tripped - again!

      Delete
  5. Those are great views. I don't want to pry, but who is Tam? I must have missed the original introduction. For a while I thought she was a dog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tom, you have just caused HOOTS of laughter here at the thought Tam might be my dog!! Nah, she's our eldest daughter, back in the nest for a while, and we are enjoying exploring the new neighbourhood together.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful beautiful views out of every window. Lucky you! Enjoy! I hope your back feels better soon. There's little else more miserable. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely here - I said I wanted views - thinking, half the county viewed from the garden (we did view one like that but the house was useless) - but these views are just as good. I am just about coping with the bad back today - painkillers helping a little anyway.

      Delete
  7. Whenever I look at your photos, I like to imagine myself standing next to you taking in the glorious scenery. Nothing like it here, though I'm close to the Chesapeake Bay, so water views are available (well, if I wished to stand on the peak of my roof and only in winter--otherwise, I have to drive up the road to see it). But I love seeing your hills and mountain ranges.

    I'm with you on covering windows. Intense dislike of draughts. And an intense dislike of people looking in my windows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you very cold this time of year? Or are you saved the worst of the weather because of being near the sea? We have a HUGE World Atlas on the coffee table (it used to languish in my office and was never opened), so I will go and look you up now. Glad you are enjoying the views. There will be more, regularly!!

      The bedrooms at the back (where we are) have the old sash windows, which need the sashes replacing as they don't shut properly at the moment where the sash cords have broken. Tam's is particularly draughty and so she puts a bed throw across the bottom to keep the draughts at bay.

      Delete
    2. We can have extreme weather here. As a matter of fact, we are under an ice warning today with freezing rain falling (-1c with real feel of -7c). In the past, we've had winter temps of -15c. Summer temps can get up to 40c--and humid. So wide range of weather possible. I live about 35 miles (by car) south of Annapolis, MD--located on a peninsula about 1/2 mile away from the Western shores of the Chesapeake Bay. So not by the sea, just near the largest estuary in the US.

      Delete
    3. Oh gosh, that doesn't sound very nice. I've seen extreme weather programmes about weather in the US where the phone lines are hung with icicles to the ground.

      At least you are by water - we found a pretty stretch of the local river (the Irfon) recently so can still have our river "fix".

      Delete
  8. Loving all of this where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too Jill - never knew all these little side lanes and views as we came into Builth the main road way, which is not as scenic.

      Delete
  9. Keith and I must be on the same medication - I have to take a tablet each Saturday morning and stay upright for half an hour before I have anything to eat (I have to drink a complete glass of water and that's all)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing so. Hopefully it is just for the duration of his steroid treatment.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are the shutters on the inside or outside of the house? I like the stable divider on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inside Debby. Thank heavens for them in THIS weather! The stable divider was one of the things which attracted me to our new home when I looked at the details.

      Delete
  12. PS I do think I could sit and take in your views forever. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing views, how wonderful to have such places to walk.

    ReplyDelete