Sunday 5 June 2022

Open Garden Day at Llysdinam

 


Llysdinam House is about 8 miles from us here and I  have long admired it up on its bluff, as we've driven past.  It is set in 20 acres of beautiful gardens and has been owned by the Venables family (now Venables Llewellyn) for over 180 years.  In fact, Lady Delia Dillwyn-Venables-Llewelyn (1910 - 2006) was a great influence upon the romantic and naturalistic style of the present gardens.  She gardened until shortly before her death at 96.

    Ragged-Robin, I know your ears will have pricked up at the words Llysdinam and Venables and yes, there is a strong Kilvert connection here.  He was staying here in August 1873, when the Venables* family went  to Garth Flower Show, Dog Show, Poultry Show, Bqazaaar and Athletic Sports (mustn't miss any out) and Kilvert took himself off to visit Llanleonfel church (there is a post about it when I visited earlier this year).  (*The Rev. Richard Lister Venables was the Vicar of Clyro, so effectively Kilvert's boss).

In September 1874, he wrote:  "Went to Llysdinam.  I never had a lovelier journey up the lovely valley of the Wye.  A tender beautiful haze veiled the distant hills and woods with a gauze of blue and silver and pearl.  It was a dream of intoxicating beauty.  I saw all the old familiar sights, the broad river reach at Boughrood flashing round the great curve in the sunlight over its hundred steps and rock ledges, the luxuriant woods which fringe the gleaming river lit up here and there by the golden flame of a solitary ash, the castled rock-towers and battlements and bastions of the Rocks of Aberedw, the famous rocky wooded gorge through the depths of which the narrow mountain stream of the Edw rushed foaming to its Aber to meet the Wye, the house of Pant Shoni gleaming white through the apple-laden orchard trees, the green Castle Mount, Llanvareth Church half hidden by its great dark yew, the sudden bend of the river below Builth, the Yrfon mouth above the little ancient town, and last but not least the grey-towered house of Llysdinam sitting on its green sunny hill backed by dark woods, and looking towards the river and mountains of the South."

    His description of the beautiful Wye valley, which we regularly drive on our way to Hay or Brecon, sums it up perfectly.  We are fortunate indeed.  The house of Pont-Shoni (Sioni now) which he mentions is the one Tam and I went to an Open Garden Day at last year.



Bits of Newbridge-on-Wye peep through the trees.  Builth is 6 miles in this direction.


A tremendous long herbaceous border which reminded me of the ones at Powis Castle.



Especially for Sharon (Morning's Minion) as she loves Irises.


A splendid Honeysuckle hugs a warm wall in a corner of the walled garden.



There were woodland walks too but I went straight to plant sales!  Unfortunately they had had a Big Plant Sale only the previous week (didn't know about that one) and so the choice was not as good as it might have been.  Next year . . .



Lots of beautiful Paeonies too - there was a yellow one at the back.


Huge Calla aethiopica Lilies.


Bet they don't have cats - this is Nepeta (Cat nip).  I have mine in a planter, in the hope of deterring the cats, but it has been rolled on and enjoyed and is only an inch or so high yet!


Exotics in the heated greenhouses.



A very healthy orange tree.




Lots of Pelargoniums.  I was envious of the selection, but am gradually adding to mine here (which are planted in the borders).  I bought one at Llysdinam - Geranium magnificum, which has been planted in the Lavender bed.


Regal Pelargonium "Springfield Black".  I would love one (but they aren't cheap!)


The long heated greenhouse had a huge fig tree, grape vines, and lots of things a bit on the tender side.  It was lovely in there.  I have greenhouse envy!

I wasn't there too long, but it made a nice break and I really enjoyed the Kilvert connection, imagining him sitting in the shade of a tree with a book, or strolling and talking, or playing croquet.  


15 comments:

  1. Great choice of G. Magnificum, the bluest and best of the hardy geraniums in my opinion - and next spring you should be able to dig it up and split it into three new plants. I brought a small piece from my old garden and now I have five good mounds erupting through the pergola and looking so good against the white Duchesse de Nemours peonies, deep purple Salvia Nemerosa and Achillea Moonlight. I love Kilvert’s descriptions too, I read snippets of his diary when it’s quiet in the bookshop. Last September when we were staying again in the 15th century farmhouse outside Usk we visited Brewardine, and the little owl church and another beautiful church with its painted (ox-blood?) rood screen roughly carved with quatrefoils. Is it Llanelieu/St Ellyw? There was one other ‘friends of friendless church’ a walk away from where we were staying, sadly blighted by traffic noise but still a beautiful church and its churchyard full of wildflowers. The garden you visited and its setting looks absolutely wonderful. Might have to see what gardens are open around here today as I am completely ‘gardened out’ with my garden - but hope I am still gardening at 96! Have a lovely day BB. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - interrupted when guests arrived. Your plantings sound absolutely beautiful. I am still hard at work creating here as the last gardener was a few shrubs and pretty well nothing else!

      I can dip into Kilvert's diary over and over. It's like an old friend. Hope you find an Open Garden to enjoy today. I noted one but it's a bit too far up country for me to indulge myself.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah. I love hardy Geraniums - looking forward to having them flowering. I have "Patricia" outside the kitchen window in memory of my best friend Trish, who died 6 years ago now, so I remember Trish every time I see that beautiful bright pink flower. The one I used to divide was the scented-leaf Geranium which has almost iridescent shocking-pink flower. I used to pot roots up and sell them at car boot sales for years! Have one here but just broke off a bit when weeding, so that's potted up and happy already.

    Bredwardine is lovely - we tried and tried to buy the old schoolmasters' house there (which Kilvert visited often). The little owl church is one we go back to again and again, and your memory served you will with Llanelieu. A special place and again, we were tempted by the house next door, for sale . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post BB - so enjoyed especially with the Kilvert connection as you can imagine!! I just love big herbaceous borders and I was saying to my son yesterday how I love those pelargoniums with scented leaves. Am reading "Exploring Kilvert Country" at the moment - what a super book thanks for the recommendation. Lots of ideas for days out for me anyway not sure about rest of the family!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might. If you haven't ever been to Powis Castle, GO next time you are down. Oh MY! You will have to be dragged away I suspect. Glad you're enjoying Exploring Kilvert Country - lots of outings in that.

      Delete
  4. I have never been to Llysdinam - it looks fabulous. My friends used to live in Kilvert's former rectory in Chippenham - very grand it was too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The views were grand. Gosh, how lovely to live in Kilvert's former home. Shame he didn't live long enough to inherit it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty gardens to visit, doubt they looked like that in Kiverts time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably nothing like as lush in the border plantings, but I think there would have been a kitchen garden, as there is now, soft fruit cages (ditto) and certainly the greenhouse dated from that period. Woodland walks likely too.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what lovely gardens and the views are amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a visit and I was very restrained with the plant-buying - just 2!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful place. Love that Honeysuckle on the wall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a Honeysuckle that grew that well. It had a lovely sheltered warm corner, so that probably encouraged it.

      Delete
  9. Oh what a gorgeous place. PS: I don't think I've ever seen a yellow peony! I had to run right off to google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, I knew I should have taken a photo. It was very pretty.

      Delete