Tuesday 28 June 2022

My new kitchen - a mini "tah-dah" moment

 A sort of mini "tah-dah" moment, as the kitchen is 3/4 finished.  Just waiting on the electrician to come back and finish off and today I start to fill in old holes, rub down and smooth over rough edges where the old tiles went up a little higher, and then I can start painting.  Most of the kitchen will be Ivory, nice and neutral, but the wall at the other end of the kitchen, where we eat, is going to be a sort of mid Teal-ish blue to tie in with a colour within the splashback.  I didn't want to have the paler turquoise.  Colours are hard to see properly on-line and when Tam found this, we thought it was slightly greener - as in Verdigris, but it is definitely  turquoise which we already have in the bathroom.  So . . . watch this space for the finished thing.  I still love it, especially when the sun is shining on it.

It was an absolute delight to know we wouldn't have to keep setting the alarm for 7.30 (builder arrived at 8.15) but of course, I still woke before 6!  Today will be a Polyfilla sort of day, but I hope to be able to paint some areas.  Two different colour blues and a yellow at the far end of the kitchen!!

First before . . . definitely in need of improvement as it dated from 1996, doors were falling apart, knobs falling off and the tiles NOT to my taste.  We still have a lavender roller blind for the moment but that will get replaced later.



There was a two foot wide gap between the cooker and the unit we had to butcher to get the new and larger cooker in.  You can see the scorch marks where we had to cut through the counter.  Modern kitchens come with a stack of drawers instead of drawers at the top of each unit, so I've had to do some re-arranging, but it's worked out ok.


The crowded area which is where we make tea.



The beginning of the end for the Old Kitchen.  What a MESS!


Now, that's a bit better I hope you will agree. I just wanted simple Shaker style units. The tiles are several different blues together with brown, and they are called Wightwick - which of course tied in with visiting Wightwick Manor 3 or so years ago. I didn't chose them for the name, but it's nice to have the connection!




I chose a single bowl ceramic sink and drainer.  The counter top is a lovely stormy grey with a little brown in it too.  It's called Purbeck (another coincidence, as I used to do a lot of walking in the Purbecks when we lived in Dorset.  It reminds me of a stormy sea. There are little narrow infills either side of the cooker, which pull out and have mesh baskets in them, so I have stored pills and potions in one side, and small empty (new) storage jars in the other, which are waiting for me to get creative in the autumn, to make little gifts for Christmas.



This is the Aged Copper splashback.  Tam found this and we went with it as the tawny brown ties in with the browns in the tiles.  The turquoisey areas looked more Verdigris (greener) in the photo on line, and each design differs so we have less brown than the one shown at Premier Range splashbacks website. My first choice of paint for the wall behind the settle, at the other end of the kitchen will now be a mid-Teal colour which also appears in the splashback.  The rest of the kitchen will be neutral in Ivory.  We love this but I know it won't be to everyone's taste.



Now I have useful storage beneath my wall display cabinet.  The cat food lives in here, and room for plenty more besides!

There is also a matching full height larder cupboard in the Utility, which also gives me plenty of space for storage.

BTW, little Ghengis is totally healed now - in fact, 8 days in the big wound had closed up and just had a tiny scab on it.  We were able to take the "donut" collar off after just 4 days! He didn't lick it but DID remove the puckered scab which had formed and was holding the edges of the wound apart.  He's a little Trooper, bless him.

Right, this won't do.  It's bin day and I need to get cracking with the Polyfilla once I've got Keith's newspaper. Watch this space.    Quick glimpse of hand-sewn quilt I am trying to get finished:


I'm working on squaring it up now.


Oh, and before I forget, we went to view a suitable Mobility Scooter in Llandod yesterday and have bought it.  Just need to wait for the ramps I bought yesterday evening to be delivered so we can collect it.  This is an expensive model when new, which does go on grass but this chap has been struggling to sell it (lots of them about on Facebook Marketplace) and people tend to go for the cheaper ones. Glad we didn't go down the Tramper type route as they are VERY hefty (but go cross-country!!)

26 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is lovely esp that beautiful copper splashback!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali, and welcome. Glad you like it. The Copper splashback makes a statement and is amazing with the sun on it.

      Delete
  2. It looks fantastic BB, and I know as you are such an expert with the paintbrush that it will look even better with the final colour on the walls. Good you kept the warm quarry tiles, which also tie in with the coppery hues of the splashback - which I love. As you have such a good eye I wonder what fabric you will choose for blinds? Excellent news on wheels, sounds as if everything is falling into place. I went into Petworth yesterday afternoon for a dental hygienist appointment and bought a small boxwood box with a floral painted decoration to top and delicate carving around the sides. I gave it a quick buff with beeswax (it was a bit dusty and dirty - a resolvable problem!) and it now sits on my table with three silver thimbles: mine, my mum’s and my grandma’s - which were previously rattling around in my sewing basket. It cost a fiver from my favourite antiques shop. I am feeling the itch to quilt again. Since 2014 when I inherited my mother’s stash I have made three bed quilts (two log cabin and one pin wheel) and a one-inch hexagon cot-size quilt with all the leftovers. For now I am filling in the background on a piece of canvaswork embroidery. I stitched (with leftovers) eight spring flowers (Elizabeth Bradley charted designs) and they are now popping against a sky blue background. Eventually it will become a cushion. Have a good day BB. I am about to make gooseberry and thyme jelly using a kilo of red gooseberries from the garden. Reckon I have another two kilos still to pick which I should do today and then I must give the two bushes a good prune! Sarah x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed the tiles do complement it that that was ever an intention, just sheer luck). The blinds could be plain dark blue, but we will see what takes my eye and what I can afford! Ooh, your little thimbles box sounds so pretty. I wonder if either of my daughters will take on my fabric stash - Tam might, Gabby almost definitely wouldn't (e.g. 99.5%!!) I am still finding half done projects I had squirrelled away before the move. I wonder how many will ever get finished? I will have to live to be 100 I suspect! You sound very much like me with the jelly making too - we must share genes :)

      Delete
  3. That Kitchen is coming along well!
    I like drawers and pullouts..so much easier to use. It's a style that was just ordinary in NZ ten years ago when I went there first and is so practical.
    I miss having a walk in larder..what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the least bit excited about it because of the worry about K, but I am pleased it's nearly all done now and I love the look of it.

      I haven't had a walk-in larder as such but could still have one under the stairs if I got to it! We have storage there and it's a useful place to bung stuff at the moment.

      Delete
  4. OH gosh! It looks lovely and worth all the mess and upheaval. I do like the units just my style. We aer still talking of having our kitchen re-done as it dates back to the late 1970's!!! But so many of the modern shiny units I don't like! Glad Ghengis is healing and you managed to find a mobility schooter. Haven't had time to comment on your last post but I am glad you made it to Leominster Priory. It is impressive. I only had a brief whizz round the inside so I need to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to Wrens, which is where this one came from, they have a very good selection. Some shiny, some not, varying prices and I recommend them as they were brilliant from start to finish. Couldn't fault them.

      Try and get back to Leominster as I'm not sure how long the Last Supper mosaic is on display there for.

      Ramps arriving tomorrow so we should be All Set to Go by the weekend.

      Delete
  5. Your kitchen looks brilliant, no doubt you'll get a few comments that say 'the old one looked good' as I did but close up you just know when somethings falling apart and no good don't you. I would never go back to cupboards after having the large modern drawers in my kitchen as it's wonderful to be able to pull everything out and see the things at the back, but your cupboards do make the whole kitchen seem so streamlined. I love that the brewing up area is 'almost' the same, just with everything now hidden behind the cupboard doors. But when an area works for you 'it just works' doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, only "old one was still looking good" comment was from my husband!! I am happy with the cupboards and the bank of drawers is sufficient for my various culinary bits and bobs. Pans in the left hand cupboard under the sink. The brewing area will have my pretty little ceramic lamp put back, and the little tray with the teamaking stuff on, plus teabags in a tin.

      I am currently busy with the Polyfilla and about to wield a paintbiush in an undaubed area or two.

      Delete
  6. I love your new kitchen and that splash back is a work of art.
    We recently did a kitchen renovation , and my m in law kept saying she liked the old one what was wrong with it etc - well it was nearly 30 years old and was starting to fall apart !
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as we get older we get used to something and can't see past what we think we've always seen - and it's familiar too. When they start to fall apart though, time to take it to the tip!

      Glad you like the kitchen and the splashback.

      Delete
  7. Wow what a lovely transformation - and those tiles are perfect - love the shades of blue💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult not to improve on what was there before, but I do love it and the tiles are all so different.

      Delete
  8. That does look rather nice I have to admit, you did well there. Where did you get the units from Howdens, that was where ours came from and the tiles my Wife wanted were Marlborough Tiles, cost enough that is for sure. Splashback looks great compared to our Stainless one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Billy, I had a quote from Howdens - nearly twice what Wrens charged me, and the lass who did the plan completely ba**sed up on it - put a unit where there is a radiator, left another unit off, and gave me a dresser unit which I didn't ask for. How could I trust them after that?! Wrens were brilliant from start to finish, very professional. The splashback has some much deeper turquoise in it so I shall take a note from that for the other paint.

      Delete
  9. Wow, gorgeous. Love the way the kitchen is turning out.

    I also really like the quilt you are working on.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it. Will probably tie it together a bit more by using the pale turquoise shade to paint the end windows. We also have a window in the wall (with the staircase at the back of it) and the paint on there is looking VERY shabby now (skirting boards ditto), so I have a goodly bit of painting to tackle.

      Delete
  10. I have never seen a back splash like that. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a big range of splashback designs, from clinking splashy glasses of red wine to trees to flowers to random designs like this to send in your own photo and they will replicate it.

      Delete
  11. Everything in the new kitchen is so beautiful. The Verdigris copper back panel is gorgeous. Is the color sealed, what if you have to clean it, say grease spatters etc? The red tile floor is a lovely accent too.
    The pills by the cooker...sometimes cookers get warm on the outer sides when baking for long periods. This could damage medical RX pills.
    Great that Ghengis is better, and that you got a grass going mobility scooter.

    The quilt is delightful.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzy. Yes the colour is sealed. You would clean it like you would clean a glass-top hob. The floor tiles were down when we bought the house but tie in nicely with it. I love looking at the worktop too as it looks like a stormy sea :)

      Good idea about the pills by the cooker. May have to have a rethink on those although we only use the top oven and that not daily.

      The quilt is on hold again whilst I wield my paintbrush!

      Delete
  12. The kitchen is fabulous, you are an inspiration when it comes to changing a room and decorating it. Tell Keith I have always fancied one of those motorised mobile scooters, but my grandchildren point out I can walk well, though they have bought me a stick....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did take Tam's advice on the splashback, though left to my own devices I'd have gone with an emerald green swirly one (that colour goes well with navy and I have a jug to prove it). Now I have to change the colour I had been planning for the statement wall, but it's not the end of the world.

      Delete
  13. You've waited long for that updated kitchen and survived the upheaval! Shaker style cabinetry has always been my choice in the houses we've built or remodeled--simple lines, no fancy molding to catch dust or kitchen grease. Your color scheme will be restful and cheerful. The coppery back-splash is a touch that makes it truly yours! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I am so distracted worrying about Keith that it all went over my head really. The colour I am putting on the walls today (Nutmeg White) calms it down. I DO like the coppery splashback and the kitchen doesn't look "old-ladyish"!!

      Delete