Friday 12 January 2024

Progress - and an expensive month!

 


Sorry that the light wasn't very good on this, but you get the idea I'm sure.  My hand got sore doing all the French knots for the Umbellifer.  The embroidery stitches are all very simple though - Stem Stitch, French knots, Lazy Daisy and some straight stitches.  I sewed some more yesterday afternoon whilst Keith and I watched back to back Digging for Britain programmes.  I took a walk along the lane for a mile or so each way late morning, and that was very calming and then a lovely Friday afternoon relaxing.

    I finally got around to choosing another Audible book - 2 in fact, as my other credit came through yesterday (reminds me to cancel it before next month).  My choices were "Tell the Bees That I Am Gone" by Diana Gabaldon - mainly because I've had the book two years and only read a few chapters - just couldn't settle to it with some many other worries and distractions.  At least I can listen to it when I do the ironing.  Then I went for something cheerful - a Jeeves and Wooster by P G Wodehouse - Joy in the Morning.

    I met the new neighbour yesterday too.  From Hampshire, nice young man who is an architect.  I'm glad the end cottage has gone to someone tidy!  We had a lovely chat, and he brought up the subject of the water, so I didn't have to, thankfully.  A three way split on going on the mains . . .

    January has been a very expensive month so far - topping up the oil tank for starters (we wanted to make sure plenty was in if we are going to have snow/bitterly cold spell); then the central heating boiler needed its annual service - will book that in for October next; then Keith has passed the car over to me so insurance is simpler in future and he (11 yrs older and unable to drive) is no longer on the policy.  We've had to send the car tax form off to get a refund and I shall take a 6mth tax out, so it renews in the summer, and then I can renew for a year again, which we've always done, but trying to get this away from the house and car insurance, which come close together.  

    So that means car insurance (due in a week) to be renewed, now I've scouted around and found someone cheaper and who we were with before. I was NOT impressed by the quote doubling from £243 last year to £495 this . . .  Then when I tried to speak to someone about it I got the runaround (call centre in Thailand by the sound of the accents) and by the time I'd got to the 4th woman, who assured me she could deal with my problem, then after I'd told her in full said she would have to pass me on to a colleague.  I told them where to stick their policy as they had just lost my business!  I renewed elsewhere for £307 . . .  When I am on my own here, things are going to be very difficult as I will just have my OAP and an eighth (or is it a tenth?) of Keith's small Army pension, which will work out about £15 a week . . .  I will probably have to pay monthly, which costs more.  Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  I hope that the Unit will help with the bills.

    Meanwhile I spent ages yesterday trying to get Danny's spare tv working, along with the new Universal remote.  Remember when you just used to plug a tv in and turn it on?  Not any more, and I couldn't find out which 4 figure model I should be typing into the remote (which required this in order to work) - just had a 10 figures and upper/lower case letters "model" on the back.  Tam looked it up and gave me a relevant number but still no good.  So today, swop tv's back and try and get the old one working. I have a feeling I shall have to wait until my "technical advisor" (Tam) is here on Monday though. I thought I was doing well just getting the Firestick and DVD player in the right holes!

    As for the H key on my keyboard, well we won't go there!  Can't get the darn thing back on, now I've removed all the FLUFF in there . . .  





10 comments:

  1. Saga are usually quite competitive for insurances for us oldies!

    |Your embroidery is looking good. I've tried dozens of times to do french knots, watched tutorials, been shown and still never managed to do them- so well done on all the ones you've had to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we used to be with Saga but they weren't happy with our mileage (doing Fairs etc) an we went elsewhere. I may check them out again now.

    French Knots - the secret is using a fingernail to hold down the two or three loops round the needle and then pull thread slowly through. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should mention car insurance, mine came through nigh on 200 quid dearer, I did the same as you and found it 200 quid cheaper, Churchill can get stuffed

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're with Direct Line and they've been brilliant. Just paid our 6 monthly water rates that was over £150 and on a meter too. Just a thought from yesterday's post we often sat patients on a 'doughnut' or a piece of soft sheepskin to protect their skin. Exciting news for us, we have been approved for a cat adoption and are fetching a little black and white girl, 2 years old and called Sheva. I had a very large cat shaped hole in my house - roll on tomorrow when we can fetch her. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I am on my own I get half of my husbands army pension - I wonder why you will get so little? I am considering putting my daughter as an added driver on my policy as this can reduce the price of insurance, I believe? That embroidery is so pretty! How clever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any really sticky tech things I leave until our youngest is home. While I am getting better there are things I am just not equipped to do.
    Your embroidery is lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness, if it was down to me there wouldn't be any tv in our house - because OH always has control of remote etc I have no idea how to work it, it would take me a month of Sundays and much patient tuition ( where am I going to get that!) to get a grip of it.
    I love the little embroidery.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful embroidery, car insurance can be a real headache, glad you got sorted,

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry, shouldn't laugh but your troubles with the H key resonate. I failed to get my E key back in situ when it happened to me.
    Your embroidery causes envy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That’s very very pretty embroidery. I’m braced for my car insurance to soar too. Nicks did last month, just what we all need not! Hopefully there is a way you can get some of the nitty gritty of future finances cleared up. It’s always easier if we know which song sheet we are to sing from x

    ReplyDelete