Sunday 28 January 2024

Totally down in the dumps

 I am really struggling to get over this latest setback.  I slept very badly as "I" up late as she slept late in the car on the way home, so I didn't really get any "down time" before bed.  Couldn't sleep, them awake 2 hours in night, and wakened at 7 by the smell of burning porridge.  D, E and I up VERY early to get back to Carmarthen to have inspection and hand the key over etc, then going on to Llanstephan beach for the day, lucky devils.  They didn't realize quite how quickly the hob heats up here.  You can't walk away and leave it.

        I am still simmering with rage over the broken glass. The blardy driver they sent was the size of a leprachaun and struggled to lift the pack.  There were several lots of glass on board - presumably for people in the same state as me, with broken packs delivered before - and it looks like he had dropped them in position and then fixed the ratchet strap far too tight, which broke the front pane in 3. I imagine other folk will make the same discovery.  The glass just has a layer of tissue paper between each pane, one thin layer of cardboard and then shrink-wrapped plastic.  They must have phenonemal wastage . . .  

        When we had our kitchen delivered, packaging included hefty air-filled plastic "jackets" - I kept several pieces in case I needed to send something which needed protection, and edges of unit fronts had foam L-shaped corner pockets to protect them.  Something similar for the glass would be sensible.  

        I have to go and see the farmer with the sheep this morning as the situation is getting ridiculous.  3 years ago it was one ewe and her lamb, same one with twins last year.  This year it started off with 7 sheep, a dynasty! - and then the owners of the bottom cottage (for sale) got a digger in to clear all the brambles in a patch of land with it, so there was somewhere to park.  This then allowed even more sheep to get through and the last couple of days I've had 14 of the blighters.  I shut the front gate, but then they get through my post and rail fencing around the paddock.  They've been eating my roses and nearly ricocheted off the greenhouse yesterday when running away from me in panic.  That would be ALL I blardy well needed, finally getting it finished and then a flock of sheep demolish it.  Believe me, the way my luck is going that could well be a predictable end to it all.  

        The whole house has extra "stuff" everywhere, which is still - hopefully - being found a home for.  I am seriously thinking that until I have a Unit (and I may have to check Leominster out if the other one doesn't come up soon) I can't go to Malvern any more, as I have no room to put anything.  That would truly be the final downer.  

        I will try and get out in the garden to prune and feed the roses today.  Providing there's anything left to prune that is!

13 comments:

  1. Wandering sheep are a pain..and it is the stock holder's responsibility to keep them in, not yours to keep them out...been down that path. It did take another farmer having a word in the ear of the culprit to get any action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jennie I'm so sorry to hear of all the delays and problems.
    I must have been so lucky with my greenhouse - all done during covid and no problems.
    I've spent time chasing sheep when we kept them, but they never got out into the garden thank goodness.
    So farmers can shoot dogs that worry sheep but garden owners can't shoot sheep that worry their gardens!!
    Hope you get a good response from the owner and from the greenhouse people this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear BB, sorry to hear all this. But you are going through a period of adjustment (as are D and Co) so please be kind to yourself. Hopefully the glass and sheep will sort themselves out. I’m suffering from a stinky cold (cannot remember the last time I had a cold) so am resting in bed listening to Desert Island Discs and now I’ve just switched over to Radio 3 for Private Passions. DID proves yet again that to be human is to suffer and no one’s life is this mythical bed of roses. So give vent to your frustration, your annoyance - we are listening and sympathising. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think after these busy and exhausting days of the moving project there were bound to be some 'down to earth' bumps, everyone over-tired, stressed, belongings scattered in spite of careful packing. It is going to be an adjustment, for sure, an ongoing one.
    The greenhouse glass debacle--for the 2nd time--is enough to make one howl--and how do you get in contact with someone who CARES and will sort the problems? It sounds like [among other things] the company doesn't wrap and package for safe shipping. And of course one has already paid for what hasn't been delivered!
    Over the years I've needed to share my home with assorted family while they were between jobs/houses. It can be very wearing. I remember struggling to stay calm rather then snappish over small messes and irritations. Some days that resolve worked better than others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awful situation with the sheep on top of everything else, and the greenhouse! Surely someone must be able to pack the glass better. You need some deep breaths today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be so annoyed about the glass. We're due a delivery of the glass and rails for the balustrade on the terrace but it's reinforced glass strong enough to withstand 70mph gusts and hopefully will be properly packed. It cost enough. We've had a few things damaged on delivery too, blinds, tiles and the bathroom vanity unit but as soon as I sent emails with photos they sent replacements. The builder was able to salvage the damaged unit and make a matching cupboard so that was a bonus. Just don't stress, it will all get sorted in the end I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sheep really are the last straw on top of everything else. I have to cope with deer eating my roses. If sheep are like deer they will hate the smell of blood. I put my meat wrappers in a perforated bag and tie to the roses at deer, or in your case sheep, nose height. Here is a recipe which also helps. Mix 1 cup of marigold leaves,1 ounce of hot pepper sauce, 4 drops of natural dish soap, and 1-2 cups of water. Place this mixture into a blender and blend until it’s smooth. spray on roses approx every 2 weeks. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, are my comments going to spam? But, in case they aren't transitions are hard. Patience and clear communication will see you through.

    It is not going to help you with the sheep though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very annoying, I battle with green fly and black spot, sheep would sent me into screaming banshee! Poor you, I'm not surprised you're down in the dumps

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m not surprised you are feeling tattered, so much has gone on and is going on.
    Moving is a massive upheaval and so is going into sharing a house. It’s going to need a little shake down time for everyone to smooth out and that’s quite normal. Poor I must be feeling a bit unsettled too, she will soon settle and get back into her routine. Can D and E and I have their own space in the evenings? Having seperate sitting rooms to retire too will help massively. Plenty of people share homes with multi generations but if it’s not happened before it does take getting used to especially with your tether nearly at its end anyway….
    A big family planner on the wall will help as communication is key. And you can get some days pencilled in when you can get out and away for a bit without worrying about Keith and that will lift you knowing it’s in the diary so to speak. It’s always lifting to have something to look forward to.
    The glass is infuriating , let alone the marauding livestock. Sending lots of thoughts and love Danette x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The awful carving of the lion over Leominster library was done by a friend of mine. He asked me to help by copying the equally awful model he had made for it, and when I asked him if he REALLY wanted it to look like that and he said he did, I decided I couldn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That glass breakage sounds horrendous, and so wasteful of the company not to pack it properly. Living in a multi-generational house? It is not so bad as you may think, it just needs adjustment and setting out your parameters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely get rid of the sheep. That farmer should be able to control the flock.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete