Tuesday 7 May 2024

The day my son really became a man . .

 . . . by having to get to grips with 3 interconnected blocked drains.  One had fat in it (NOT me - I always scrupulously wipe any fat off before washing pan or tray), but the others were not draining at all and overflowing onto the stones.  He had to take the cover off the front reservoir (not done this before).  Full to the gunnels, and bits of forgotten-and-then-washed paper hankies and then rod it.  He had it wonderfully empty and clean - but there is still a blockage and drain-away is slow after the washing machine's been in use or someone's had a shower . . .



I, meanwhile, managed to get three plants in.  One, which I bought yesterday, was a well-grown Borage.  That went in the little square of lawn up the steps from our front yard.  I had to edge the grass along there (all the lawn needs edging, come to that) and take out a swerve of lawn which didn't look right.  More to do in that area (edging and weeding).  Then I went up on the bank and dug mightily where Danny had removed two Willow saplings.  This area had been where the bridge into the house had been (to the Door to Nowhere) and there was rubble in the soil, which made digging a deepish hole for the Vinca a struggle.  Then I began weeding away from it and have a LOT to do up there.  The Peony I planted earlier has started showing growth, so that has become established.  

It will grow . . .

Then it was time to get to grips with digging a home for my new rose, a rambler called Blush Noisette which is a repeat flowerer with a lovely musk rose perfume.  That was my proper TREAT (David Austin £32.99), along with some bedding plants (Antirrhinum, Verbena and 10 week Stocks).  I spent a lot at the garden centre (it was the expensive one) but I had to go there as they don't sell trellis at Penybont.  I bought 2 more sacks of good compost, a big sack of bark chippings, 2 expanding willow trellises for growing Clematis up, and a huge pot of Growmore.  Most of the spend was on essentials.

I hope you all had a good Bank Holiday weekend - or just weekend if you aren't in UK.

15 comments:

  1. Anyone's first drain or toilet unblocking is a real rite of passage isn't it ... well done that man. I hope you can find the reason behind the slow draining that you're left with. It sounds like you had a very productive BH weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny needs to try and rod it from a different direction - from the two drains at the side of the house. It goes into a soakaway so although he put 20 feet or more of drain rod down there. He said he felt he had come to the end of it . . .

      Delete
  2. It always amazes me what people pour down their sinks - ugh! I have put some bedding in the front garden, even though we have STC it could be another 3/4 months before we move and I want to look at colour. Your rose sounds beautiful and we are not very far away from David Austin roses, I have 2 beautiful Golden Wedding roses bought by friends and knowing we would be on the move, put them in pots and they will be coming with us. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for putting bedding plants out - you may as well enjoy your garden whilst you're there. I have always wanted to visit the David Austin nursery - perhaps one year I may. At least we're 55 miles nearer now we're here! Glad your Golden Wedding roses are going with you.

      I stupidly emptied the coffee jug (and grounds) into the sink earlier - thinking it was just water. I ALWAYS empty it normally, but had gotten tired.

      Delete
  3. Oh Lawkes I had my fill of that at PC . It’s awful and stinks. The sheer amount of product stuff we use with washing plates/us/clothes etc contributes quite a bit and now we all wash with lower temperatures - that adds to it. We all wash ourselves and our things far more than folks in the past. Folks on mains drainage have no idea what happens ‘ a bit further down the pipe’ do they lol.
    Well done D Glad the fair went well and that you had a good splurge at the garden centre x Danette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I had that last virus (an echo of Covid I wonder?) I've had no sense of smell, but then I did spend two months blowing my nose to empty my sinuses! That probably damaged my nose lining. I try to get 3 wears out of clothes (just around the house). Much longer for gardening clothes!!

      I had a further purchase today when I bought a lawn edger - never had one and my lawn edges are shocking. I am aching after today's gardening though, and bending to put the Fair boxes of stock away

      Delete
  4. I applaud anyone who is good with their hands, I'm terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a case of needs must. D's like me though - ask us to throw anything and we're SO cack-handed. Neither of us has a head for heights either. I never knew these things were genetic.

      Delete
  5. Had a pretty good weekend here. Now we are getting rain and have accumulated 1 1/2 inches. Seems to have stopped for a bit, but more will be coming later tonight and tomorrow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good old Danny. Is this because there are more of you using the facilities or due to all the rain. I have friends down in the village whose old houses are built just above the water table who say this winter has been terrible for grey water bubbling up through their gardens. Makes me relieved we live on a hill (but not when we have 40mph wind!) and are on mains drainage. Blush Noisette is a good choice. Mine came from Apuldram Roses soon after we moved and grows under the pergola and makes a tidy compact climber needing little tying in. It’s also healthy and an old rose too as I remember it used to grow in the old rose border at Polesden. Last time I went to Apuldram roses a month or so go the fields were still under water so now it’s drying up I must revisit. There’s always room for a rose. Yesterday was like a summer’s day and we had two walks wearing t-shirts. To the RSPB reserve in the morning and a late afternoon walk from home around the bluebell wood which is still squelchy in places. I’m nursing my housemaid’s knee by not gardening and yesterday I popped into the garden centre and bought my first garden kneeler with hand rails on either side that morph into a seat as clearly my 63 year old right knee has had enough! Although to be fair I think it was decorating the study coinciding with a lot of weeding on my knees that broke me. I was in bed last night at 9pm listening to the bird song and began reading a new novel for book group - Disobedient by Elizabeth Fremantle about the 17th century Italian artist Artemisia Gentileschi which is so far brilliant. Hope you’re enjoying nice weather in Wales. The Wiggonholt weather station at the RSPB reserve we visited yesterday was on the News yesterday as it recorded 21 degrees! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had to clear blocked drains which were overflowing before now but the worst was being up to my elbow in a bend clearing fat and soap goo with really stank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear. Not so good but gardens always need rain - just not 1 1/2 inches all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My way of dealing with clogged or slow drains is to call the plumber. Good for Danny figuring out how to clear them. From your recent posts it sounds like your garden is coming along nicely. I am too busy wrapping up the term to do much else besides read student papers and grade. But it's now almost over. I hope Keith is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to ad that you had some lovely pottery at your booth. Sorry I couldn't be there to buy a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here, when we have slow running drains, it almost always seems to be from roots growing into the drain line. Is it a problem there?

    ReplyDelete