Wednesday 29 May 2024

An outing to Llysdinam gardens open day

 We went to Llysdinam House for an Open Garden and Plant Sale on Saturday.  The clouds looked ominous, and the heavens opened just as we reached Newbridge-on-Wye.  We pulled into a layby for a while, waiting for it to ease, which it did, so we went onto the house.  It rained a bit whilst we were walking round, but then the sun came out again.  Here are a few photos.  Self-explanatory so no words.  I bought 3 plants which should survive the winter here (if I go for Geums and Cranesbills, I'm ok).  Verbascum virgatum (Twiggy Verbascum I think it is), Geranium Phaeum Album - need more of these, and Geranium magnificum.

Keith now has a social worker - well done Gabby.  She's been doing all the chasing for me.  She's just given me an update and the Social Worker is coming out on Monday, then she gets in touch with the District Nurses for them to do a medical assessment.  He is a lot more comfortable now, but coughing at night - although when I spoke to the GP yesterday she just suggested SALT came out again - I wanted her to listen to his chest (which, admittedly, sounds OK at present but that's just my ear on his ribs).









The typical British "It's raining but we carry on regardless"!  Iarna's Snow White dress had rising damp - last minute decision to go, so she had her play things on.








P.S.  This is a first-time-ever-seen for me - at Cors-y-Llyn reservoir the other day, a beautiful Marsh Cinquefoil.


Below - a few more blocks sown.  I did another 3 this morning, first thing.

13 comments:

  1. they finally registered me as "critical" with Social Services so I now have a caseworker but I am shocked to learn that Pembs Co. Council now charges £250.00 to set up an account with the care team.
    So sorry it rained but when the sun comes out it's so pretty on a rain drenched garden.
    I love the white foxgloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't have to come to this (e.g. Critical) before you get help. I am so sorry that it is necessary for you. Seems like the Council know how to milk the system.

      The White Foxgloves were gorgeous. I had to resist the temptation to buy one or two at the Garden Centre just now . . . (I got another rose instead, and a beautiful purple and yellow Lupin.)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful garden - if only we all had the skill and the space and the help of gardeners!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice, but better in high summer, and not a patch on wonderful Powis Castle.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful garden. The rain really brings out the colors.

    Quilt blocks look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from the upside down row! Need to learn "popping the seam" tonight. Not helped by my not reading the instructions (or as my b-in-law calls them, "destructions", which is more apt!) properly and stubbornly ironing all the seams "to the dark".

      Delete
  4. What a garden! A bit wet...but that meant fewer people so a better view.
    Good news on the home front at last x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fewer people - no! It was really busy car park wise, but as a large garden, not too heaving with people until we got to the plant stall. I've just realized I've planted something right where I was going to put the White Geranium . . .

      Delete
  5. The garden looks beautiful and what a fabulous setting, even in the rain. Good to see Tam looking so comfortable and smiley carrying baby Rosie. I can imagine her striding out in a couple of months with a proper baby backpack carrier. I used a Karrimor from four months and it was small and neat and light and easy to get on and off. Blocks are coming together well, you must be relieved! Hope the social worker can make a difference. It would be great if they could organise a stair lift so K can travel between upstairs and downstairs with ease and without worry. The marsh cinquefoil is beautiful, I’m not sure I’ve seen one in real life. Are you watching Springwatch which is coming from RSPB Arne in Poole Harbour, lovely sandy lowland Heath habitat as we have here so I’m enjoying seeing close ups of all the birds we see fleetingly around here, especially the barn owl and her owlets. We have a busy weekend with our garden trail and I have a cornucopia of plants ready for the plant sale. I bought a crab apple tree for the meadow at last weekend’s fete. Love crab apple trees and they do well in my garden so I need to get it planted. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rain just keeps on a-coming, the plants look lovely though so they must enjoy it. Glad Gabby managed to arrange a social worker, it has been all uphill for you Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful garden although such a shame about the rain. The marsh cinquefoil is lovely - I don't think I have ever seen one. I do hope things improve now Keith has a social worker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely outing. Great news on the social worker for Keith. Hopefully it will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that Keith and you will finally get more help. Love those gardens.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete