Friday 24 May 2024

I need to get out of the house

 Apologies, but I am having problems with Keith co-operating and I am being driven totally witless.  K got Danny to turn the air bed off a couple of days back - it was 24 hours before I noticed.  That did NOT help his btm. The District Nurse was due to come out today anyway.  We have Keith on his side but that makes his neck and back very painful.  We can't win.  Update: D. Nurse been, sorted the areas out and put stickers on the worst areas, and noticed his catheter was leaking - hence the wet bed this morning, which I had put down to fluid seeping from his btm (the reason I was so worried sick) and cause of the apparent worsening of the area.  They're coming back this afternoon to change his catheter.

Danny and Emma have been brilliant.  How could I manage without them?  

More worries from Gabby being told if you want carers, find them yourself - more or less.  That was very upsetting and worrying.  Anyway, we are working out a paid package of care with Emma, who was a carer in the past (and has been so helpful since being here).  A real relief.  I am now going to Cors-y-Llyn in search of Marsh Cinquefoil and Dragonflies.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a trip out is much needed, fresh air and calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needed and enjoyed, though I forgot my phone so couldn't do a Merlin app ID on a strange-sounding bird. Those only EVER come out when you don't have the means to ID them!

      Delete
  2. That sounds a bit more chaotic than it needs to be. I thought you would get carers for free from social services?
    Cooperation is needed too.

    Hope the insect and flower hunt is successful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaotic - yup, just about sums it up. As does panic! Carers not free but you are means-tested (SUCH fun that is, like airing your dirty laundry in public. HOW much did she spend at quilting shop, Garden Centre etc!!). I've had a letter to say they will pay so much towards the care package - only problem is, there are NO carers to be had.

      Delete
    2. Surprised..as I thought Wales would be the same as Scotland. There are paid for carers here, but social services and NHS are well coordinated. I think there may be a difference if you are having medical care or physical care. That certainly applies in England...and when my mother had to go into a home years ago fortunately she was assessed as needing medical care...so my brother didn't lose his home paying for it.

      Delete
  3. You've taken me back 2 years, to when we were told by a social worker that 'there's no care in Wales'. If she said it once, she said it a dozen times.
    I also remember the conversations with the awards officer over funding.....hard work. Good luck I hope you enjoyed your walk Anne in Shropshire

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just catching up. I'm sorry it's so difficult to find carers. It's impossible here as well. I tried to find someone to help with my sister, no luck. I ended up taking leave from work. I hope Emma can take this on. That'd be such a relief for you.

    ReplyDelete