Thursday 19 May 2011

Aquilegias . . .

An unusual "chocolate" colour. One to identify . . .


I think this is Adelaide Addison.

The palest pink and a deeper shade.



This is a really stunning black stellata form.

This is the form I started with here. I have these- doubles and trebles - in light pink, white, dark pink, lilacy-pink etc.

This is a lilac-blue hybrid I bought somewhere last year - and it flowered on and on until late July.

Purple stellata petal - isn't this a gorgeous colour?

Black Barlow.
Predominantly paler pink in the Aquilegias this year, but I love this darker shade.

Pink Norah Barlow.

I think this is possibly Red Hobbit, or is it Cardinal?

A white Norah Barlow.

William Guinness.

One of my fancies. I think this could be Aquilegia formosa but don't know its 'pet' name.

Above and below. A very old rose - name unknown - which came from a neighbour, who in turn was given it as a cutting (very prolific and easy to take). It came from Golden Grove, the other side of the Towy Valley, and once an important local landowner's house. I am still trying to identify it. It just flowers the once, but is COVERED in blooms, and has the most divine scent too.


Above and below, views across the garden from the front door, looking to the right.

10 comments:

  1. While we have been away Aquelegia have taken over our front garden - mostly pink ones - I had some lovely colours last year but the pink ones seem to dominate this year. I love them - they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with roses, they're my favourite flower and I just cannot resist finding new ones to add to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aquilegias are fabulous aren't they? I've had some lovely self sown ones over the years though my black one seems to have disappeared which is a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a lot aquilegias and this time of the year they are fabulous. Are the dark purple ones wild I wonder, or the first born in this very promiscuous family?

    ReplyDelete
  5. back again trying to identify the rose... nearest maybe is in the 'wild rose' himalayan musk range.. 'Seagull'a climber well scented, once flowering. It could be anyone of these roses, Kiftsgate (yikes) is one.
    Phillips and Rix's Roses ref.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pleasantly suprised to find that the two aquilegias I planted last year are thriving--I had feared the Kentucky climate of hot/humid summers might be their undoing. Thompson and Morgan;s catalog often has aquilegia seed that tempts me, but I've never got going with the project.
    We often found a large white one growing wild in the mountains in Wyoming--there the summer is so short at high altitude that flowers share a brief blooming season quite unlike what they would have at lower altitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw how lovely. I love your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of aquilegia - one of my favourite flowers. I have a few that make a comeback every spring here and of course they would as they either grow wild or naturalised in my micro climate - thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those flowers remind me of Columbines...little fairies dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...they are Columbines...I googled aquilegia as I am not a gardener...You have the most amazing varieties...thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete