Sunday 24 May 2015

Good intentions

My life is full of good intentions.  I have ALWAYS wanted to make one of these:


This one was worn by a Cornish folk dancer at the Smallholders' Show back in 2008.  I think this was a Bal Maiden's bonnet (they worked above ground on the Cornish tin and copper mines).  However, this is also the sort of thing which would have been made at home by cottagers and worn during harvest time back in Victorian times.


A variation on a theme.

Right now, time is flying by but I definitely AM going to get back to this:


There were many bags of unused fleeces at my friend's house, as I think she had given up on the spinning when she became ill.  I am about to get my spinning wheel into the kitchen and listen to the Archers and get my skills back again.  I have a lovely brown Alpaca fleece (SO soft) and a Leicester Long Wool too.  My fingers are fairly twitching right now.

I am also baking today, making bread too, and playing catch up indoors as it's raining so I won't be gardening.

9 comments:

  1. perhaps we should arrange a joint spinning session, I have with last years shearing s 16 bags of fleece to get through, I never showed you my two spinning wheels, I am waiting for a sunshine day in the summer when i don't have so much to do and do it outside, I am on the look out for a tin bath as well if you happen across one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tin or enamel baths/bowls/buckets, would you believe, are Quite Collectable now! Words fail me as some of them are so chipped/holed/rusty and it's not the sort of thing I would want to trade in (enamel bread bins and jugs I do). I will see if I can come across one cheaply for you. I used to soak my fleeces in the used bath water overnight and rinse them next morning and then hang them out in carrot bags, but that was before we had new baths fitted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Up for the spinning in the sunshine - such a relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white cap does not look that had to make, if you stitch all the folds first, as shown in the top photo, then shape the back and add the bottom 'flap'. Go for it. As for good intentions, we all have drawers fill of purchases marked 'one day'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful bonnet. I would love to learn to spin, sounds such a wonderfully calming thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are having a spinning session I will come along with my hexies and be general tea maker. I like the bonnets but have a "thing" for aprons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea Pam. It will be a proper Welsh crafternoon!

    Chickpea - it is very calming (good for me as I'm always on the go) but it gave me neckache today as it's been ages since I had my wheel out. The Alpaca fleece I am spinning makes a rolag light as gossamer and is a delight to spin with.

    Marlene - you're quite right of course, just pin tucks and some trapunto on the first one, which is the one I prefer. It's just a case of time at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apinning is one of those things that has always been on my list of things to learn, but I have never got round to it in spite of the fact that we live next door almost to yhe Wensleydale Longwool Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lovely craft Pat. Very soothing. If you ever have a change of heart, at least you won't have far to go to learn!

    ReplyDelete