Monday 31 August 2020

A Walk in the Mountains


Yesterday the mountains were calling us, and - thinking that everyone would be at the beach - we headed for Llyn-y-Fan-Fach.  We were turned away at the usual turning to the lake, with a sign saying Carparks Full and a lady in high viz . . .  We drove on to the other turning from Llandeusant church and managed to get in as people were by then leaving.  The view above is one I took as we were drawing near.  This is the mountain I take photos of from the top of our hill.


Walking the mile and a half up to the lake meant a climb of 800 feet.  Blimey, it felt like it!!!  This is the Trout Farm half way up, built during WW1.


The stream tumbles over the rocks and I took far too many wonderful photos.




The lake - not one for swimming in as it has all sorts of nasties in it including Leptosporosis.  Yet there are many sites recommending this for "wild swimming".  Back in my day, this was just called "swimming"!  We used to camp up on Dartmoor too - now this is "wild camping" . . .


The sheep up on this steep slope look like they were stuck onto fuzzy felt!


There were lots of people who had climbed up on to the ridge.



Tam, caught unawares.



I was very relieved to be walking downhill at this point.  You can just see the wee bothy in the background.  The dam was built by 175 Irish Navvies who began work in 1914, and in 1916 200 Conscientious Objectors were added to the mix.   Jehovah's Witnesses were amongst their number and this LINK will show you the trout farm buildings being built.


The views . . .




You can see the procession of people on the trackway.



Today?  Back to work!!

12 comments:

  1. Such beautiful views, looks like quite the hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I'm so unfit, if felt like quite a hike but it's only a mile and a half up there, but just a bit relentless on the going upwards part!!

      Delete
  2. Stunning views. It isn't very far, but relentlessly uphill all the way. Tam managed easily but it's a bit more of an ask for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me on that beautiful walk - the kind of walk I shall certainly never be able to do again - really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your armchair outing Pat. I thought of you when we drove through Cenarth this afternoon too.

      Delete
  4. That's a countryside to die for. I love the light in your photos of the rushing water. I'm a sheepfarmer who has spent too much of my life living in over-populated places and that really strikes a note with something ddep inside. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun was on the water then, which helped the photos. I have a need to "touch base" by going deep into nature and the countryside, and this satisfied that need - despite more people around than I'd have liked. I am glad the scenery spoke to you too.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for taking so many beautiful photos. Every time I clicked on them, I felt like I should have been able to take a deep breath of fresh air (as opposed to our current heat and breathless humidity). So wish I could take a walk in such a gorgeous location (though the 800 ft uphill might have required a few stops :).

    Pleasant surprise--I was able to get access to an online version of the magazine LandScapes you mentioned yesterday--not always easy to get over the Pond. Looking forward to reading it this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you are enduring heat and humidity (I would hate that and my lungs would even MORE!) I hope the photos brought a sense of coolness and fresh air to you. Believe me, that climb made me stop a few times!!

      Glad you were able to access Landscape online. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos and such stunning views. I bet it was hard work getting up there though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't care to try it on a really hot day. I'd soon be a hot heap sitting in the river!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful scenery and great photos, thanks.

    ReplyDelete