Wednesday 12 August 2020

Delight and DISASTER

 




Yesterday was hot and sunny - just the day for the beach - and so as Keith wanted to carry on working on one of his woodwork projects, we set off for Pendine.  They were digging up the car park and so, joy of joys, we were allowed to park on the beach again (all day for £3, but we got there well after lunch).  So we had a car picnic (first food to eat out we had purchased since Lockdown began - much use of hand sanitiser because of touching outside of bags . . .)  Then we simply kicked off our shoes and walked and paddled, and paddled and walked.  Although it was busy, as you can see, there was plenty of room for everyone.




 


The cliffs have caves which the children used to explore when they were younger.  I have to say, this beach has everything and takes some beating.






A dead jellyfish and below, an adventurous Blenny type fish which swam around our feet.  There were tiny baby ones in the rock pools too.




Social distancing in the sea . . .


Sea anemones


This gull was keeping a close eye on us.


We thought this might be Serpentine Rock?  I know it's found across the water in Cornwall.


Seaweeds in one of the bigger rock pools.

That was the good bit.  Then we got in the car and began driving home.  We were just climbing the hill out of St Clears and I suddenly noticed two warning lights - one amber and one red.  Engine-shaped.  That is NEVER good news.  We were coming up to a lay-by so I pulled over and we checked in the book what they meant.  I decided to try and pull forward a little and there was a horrid graunching noise, so we were stranded.  We phoned Saga (who had kindly given us free recovery.  Hmmm.  It turns out you don't get what you don't pay for.)  

We were stranded from 4.30 p.m. until gone 11 p.m. last night! They initially told us (this is the RAC - do not use under any circumstances) it would be 5 hours, but when I said that I had medical issues and needed to be recovered to our home so I could take my asthma inhalers, we were apparently then a priority.  Two hours later it was getting close to the time I needed my medication, and we had to phone again and they got us a taxi home.  We grabbed a bite to eat and drink too, and came back in Tam's car (they had offered a taxi back but thank God we didn't take them up on it as we would have been there ALL NIGHT.  I was getting more stressed and angry by the moment, and finally blew my top on the phone to them but they just didn't know what to do and a text had told us that there would be no agent able to get out to us! 

We got home about midnight and our car was finally recovered mid-morning - both the recovery garage in town and the garage who are doing the repairs were brilliant - we got, yes, we will be there at so and so a time, if you drop your keys down it will save you having to wait for us at St Clears, etc.  People who DID things properly.  Turns out that rather than a dead engine (which we feared) we had a dead air hose and will cost £200 to replace.  Phew is all I can say!


14 comments:

  1. What an awful experience with your car. Was it because you d driven on the beach? That would traumatize me into staying home for years, probably! lad you weren't alone.

    The beach and ocean [sea?] look interesting there, mine is often as bare and empty as a cement parking lot. Tho I do have nice fine white sand. What is a Blenny fish?

    lizzy gone to the beach...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the air hose was on the way out anyway, and under extra strain on a very hot day and that finished it off! That is our favourite beach and many happy memories of summer days there with the children when they were smaller. A Blenny is just a small common sort of seaside fish. A bit unremarkable.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a day and night. I never go anywhere without my 2 different asthma medicines in my purse. There have been so many times when I have been glad to have had them with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left them at home as I have a large spacer that goes with them so I would have needed to take an extra bag. Since I was leaving it in a very hot car, that's not good for asthma inhalers. I have learned my lesson now.

      Delete
  3. Oh what an ending to a wonderful bay at a beautiful beach. We stopped using the RAC after a similar incident. I was stranded in a very remote area in Northumberland miles from any buildings. I phoned in at a similar time, my issue was that I had the children were with me and so we needed a recovery vehicle that could take the three of us. It took them ages to sort one, when they finally managed to arrange one it was over an hours drive away from me and the driver needed an hour break, it was well after 8pm when they told me this! They gave me an estimated time of 11pm, by then it was going to be dark, pitch black as there was no street lighting and no houses as far as the eye could see, I was a woman on my own with two young children (they were 7 and 11 then). My husband drove up to collect us and we left the car with the keys on the wheel, we told the RAC that we had done that and asked them to let the recovery driver know which they failed to do, he was trying to contact me but I had no reception. We asked them to take it to the garage in our village which the recovery driver couldn't find in the dark, so he abandoned it in the middle of the village with the keys inside and a note! They offered us a free year of cover, when I complained, I didn't want that so I asked for the money back on the year I had just paid for which they grudgingly gave us. It sounds like the RAC can't really cope in rural/sparsely as they just don't have the cover and drivers end up being miles and miles away.

    I hope the car is all fixed now and I am glad to hear that you got home safely and managed to take your medication in time, it must have been such a worry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, you had a horrid experience too. They told me to leave the keys in the car, and I said not blardy likely as I then wouldn't be covered by insurance and I KNEW they had absolutely no intention of getting anyone out to us. We were beside the extremely busy A40, so anyone could have stopped and ransacked the car. We got our "recovery" through Saga who are going to hear from me today . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a horrible end to a good day out.
    I wonder if any other breakdown services are any better or if they all fail outside of cities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Flag ARE good but I think you're right, outside of cities there are just black holes where the big boys don't operate.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear! What a perishing awful experience - you must be so angry let alone frustrated. What a dreadful way to treat people. I hope you give them a piece of your mind.

    Trying to be positive it was lovely to see your beach photos and the sea.

    Hope you get your car back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get Saga to see sense this morning, that it was THEIR policy and THEY were employing the RAC for recovery and not us, but they wouldn't have it. There is apparently something tiny in the small print at the end of the policy document. We argued round in circles and I think will probably be looking elsewhere for car insurance . . .

      The beach photos do at least remind me of the GOOD part of the day!

      Delete
  7. For a few years now I have been using GEM breakdown service. It's good. You call them up, they send round a local breakdown service or garage (with you very soon). If they cannot fix it on the spot they will take you to a garage who will fix it. You pay them direct (about £72 - card or cash) and give their receipt to GEM who promptly refund you in full. It has paid for itself over the time I have been using it and there is the added satisfaction of not giving money to useless organisations such as RAC or AA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Tom. Will check them out but I think Keith probably wants to go with Green Flag as we know they are reliable.

      Delete
  8. What a terrible thing to happen when you were so enjoying your day. I am glad that it wasn't your engine and just the hose.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An incredible relief Jackie - we are still paying for the car so it would have been a disaster and we would somehow have had to get our old Doblo fixed and back on the road . . .

      Delete