Friday 14 August 2020

Walk by the swing bridge

 . . . except it's not a swing bridge any more. It is set solid and has steps up and off again. It used to be a swing bridge until 50 years ago or so, and all the locals  still call it that.  So, on the hottest day of the year I made the mistake of agreeing to go for a short walk with Tam - by the river and in the woods where it was hoped it would be cooler . . .


Looking upstream.  No Swifts or Swallows today but I think the Swifts have already migrated.  They have a very short nesting season here, just long enough for one brood.



The view downstream from the bridge.



We began our walk, but it was far from straightforward as the boggy patches I remembered were still in evidence despite it being summer - it's where springs come through so the ground remains sodden all year long.  We managed to pick our way across two, but not without me managing to "get a booty"as we used to say when I was growing up.



There were several fallen trees too, which we had to scramble through, and having noticed lots of cow pats along the way, it was obvious some steers (probably) had been turned out here to forage (not much grass, it was mostly Himalayan Balsam along by the river, where they had smashed it down looking for something to eat.  We didn't see them, so they may have been taken off again.




Whilst it was a tiny bit cooler right beside the river, it was still VERY hot.  I was sweating like a racehorse and by the time we got back to the bridge, I didn't have a dry hair on my head!



The steep and high valley sides hold the heat in.


Some poor woman had stupidly thought you could drive down the first tarmacced bit of the footpath (10 feet or so) which is very steep and ended in (deep) mud.  This is NOT a designated parking area for obvious reasons.  She was sideways on across the path when we had parked up (in a layby 100 yds further on as the one space was already taken by another vehicle), having tried to turn the car and get back out..  There was a smell of burnt-out clutch as we passed.  On our return, the chap with the car in the parking space had obviously taken her in search of a Useful Farmer with Tractor to tow her out as no way would she get out otherwise . . .  I can just imagine her reaction when she got down there and realised she had done something Really Silly.  We've all done something daft but not necessarily quite so obviously (or expensively if her clutch has gone.)


Red Bartsia.

Probably Red Cracked Boletus - must check my Roger Phillips book.

Anyway, final viewing of the week was yesterday.  A really lovely chap (Welsh, and coming HOME).  I will phone the agent shortly and see if there has been any more feedback from Monday.



12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your virtual walk BB - the beauty without the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got the best of it Pat! Blimey - I had to wash my hair when we got in - there was no point in letting it dry first.

      Delete
  2. The Roger Phillips book is the best one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it good? I haven't got as far as taking it off the bookshelf yet as we had a call to go and pick up our car from being mended. Bit of a bigger bill than anticipated but better than a
    written-off car . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does get a booty mean.

    The river is delighful.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having water come into your shoe (in my case, through the mesh on my trainers!)

      Delete
  5. Waiting with baited breath for news of offers !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly dare hope, even though there is one possible one (chaps checking out the planning rules for the outbuildings) and the original ones who said they were arranging the mortgage and would offer are now looking at other properties as they couldn't buy a barn on next door's farm.

      Delete
  6. Everything is so nice and green there. Here things are turning brown and the grass is very crisp. I love joining you on your walks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always green here Jackie (we get our fair share of rain being on the West coast). Glad you enjoy coming with me on my walks but I think this one was a tad tropical!

      Delete
  7. The illustrations in all these nature books are not quite like what we pick ;) But glorious Wales under a heatwave, well that is something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a heatwave for 3 months in the spring (compared with what you normally get here!) I agree with you about the illustrations too.

      Delete