Sunday 16 August 2020

MUM!!!! There's a BIG spider on your face!

 Yes, as you can see from the title, my week just gets better and "expletive" better!  This was this morning when I had just got my specs from the sitting room to look at a house Tam was showing me on her phone.  I felt a tickling just below my eye, and thought I had trapped  some hair underneath it, and was blowing my fringe in the air and then pulling my hair behind my ears, when Tam yelled.  Talk about blind PANIC!  

Now, I can cope with spiders, even quite large ones, but not if they are on my body and as for one on my face - O.M.G.!!!  Even now I am shuddering at the thought.  I managed to brush it off, but if the Universe is listening, that was the 2nd big spider in close confines this week (one in the car when we were abandoned on Tuesday) and if the 3rd is the size of a Tarantula, I will have a seizure!


Anyway, a quick round-up.  Here is one tub of my Telegraph cucumbers in the greenhouse.  Doing well, as you can see.  Just as well Tam and I love cucumber!



Main-crop spuds, which we lifted yesterday.  King Edwards and Pentland Crown, put in a formerly abandoned area. Not huge amounts of spuds, but enough to keep us going for a while - and we are still eating the Kestrels too.


These are some Ox-Eye Daisies which I am growing for the Biophilic Wales scheme, which seeks to plant NHS inspirational green spaces.  I had 6 packets of seeds but not all did very well, and one packet seemed to be Antirrhinums!  Mini ones.  I need to drop them off down at the Botanic Gardens next week.


Anyway, plans afoot - a Plan B shall we say, though that involves money so we may have to rob a bank.  Tomorrow we return to work on the Heritage Statement for the change of access.  Wish us luck.

8 comments:

  1. EEK re: the spider. I don't mind them at all but not on my face! Garden produce looks good - we are growing potatoes this year for the first time in years.

    The seeds I sowed which were supposed to be Wall Pennywort are turning into a complete mystery. Am now convinced they are not what they should be but no idea what they are as no sign of them flowering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes seeds like to keep you guessing! Hope you get a good crop of spuds.

      Delete
  2. Whats with the change of access? More hurdles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't touched anything Jill. Will have to go and see if Google have been playing around again.

      Delete
  3. Oh how awful. I don't mind spiders but they do not belong on my face--or yours.
    Freshly grown potatoes are so delicious.

    All my wildflowers, bit the plants and seedlings were ripped out during TS Isaias, so sad.

    Good luck on your scheme, even tho I don't understand it. Would it let you remain where you are, in your home?

    lizzy

    gone to the beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that the storm did so much damage in your garden Lizzy. We put so much love and care into our plots that it is a hard hit to see it all destroyedd. Bad enough here I have plants which I lovingly cared for (having treated myself to them) and they don't survive the winter months here as they can't swim!

      Just about recovered from the Spider incident now!

      Delete
  4. I didn't grow maincrop potatoes this year but Charlotte have given is a bumper crop, just grown in leafmould scraped up in the local woods with a sprinkle of fish blood and bone. The seed was given to me so a very low cost crop. My cucumbers are not doing too badly but the gherkins are intent on taking over the country, if not the world. As for the spider, I am still shuddering at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't normally, but as I had Tam here to do the digging over of the new plot, we went for it. Nothing tastes as good or as fresh as home-grown, that's for sure. Gherkins, I must admit, have Plans for Presidency!

      Delete