Tuesday 29 June 2021

Volunteering again - Part I

 Last Friday I volunteered at Minerva Arts Centre in Llanidloes.  It was where the quilt exhibition was held last month . This month it was the turn of 5 talented ladies Gatehouse Textiles INGENIUM exhibition.  Part II posting about the exhibition will be tomorrow.  They were invited by The Quilt Association. Not many people through, sadly, but the weather wasn't brilliant so perhaps that put folks off travelling. Or they were waiting for market day on the Saturday.

Anyway, not much in the way of words, but enjoy the wonderful craftsmanship.





Below: Some of Sonja Turner's work.





I was quite taken with these pieces and would love to try something along those lines (when I have time to sew again that is.)


Some of Wendy Wildman's quilts below:



Aren't those runner beans lovely?







 I loved this printed cushion.  So unusual and colourful.  It reminded me of a kaleidoscope.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilts. It amazes me how people can make such an old art new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like reinventing the wheel isn't it? Things take a side step or include a different technique and it changes them completely.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, what talented quilters. I think the last cushion is my favourite.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved the colours in that too. SO much talent there. Wait till you see the next post.

      Delete
  3. I love looking at textile art but have never been drawn to buy any but perhaps a Good Idea would be a small bit for my art wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some really unusual pieces there Sue but gosh, some were quite pricy - the bigger ones £400 a time, but they were perhaps 4 feet x 2 feet sewn pictures of women (photos to follow). At the other end of the scale, their group make A4 size quilts which they sell (I don't know the price of those).

      Delete
  4. As a very basic quilt maker of many years, I am always astounded at the levels to which the skill is now taken and feel it needs to be recategorized for it bears little resemblance to it's origins. Volunteering is such a rewarding thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way above my head and skills RP. I stick to what I can manage and Idon't have a terribly creative mind, I'm better off copying! I used to volunteer at Dinefwr (Newton House) and really loved that, but this will suit me and I will get to meet new people here - though it's not on the doorstep, being 30 miles away.

      Delete
  5. Wow, such impressive work. Looking forward to Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some terrific textile designs and executions. Some of those almost look like watercolour paintings--appreciate your close up photos which allows us to see the details. The landscape pillows are are great design, as is the kaleidoscope pillow. Love the way the two framed landscapes near the bottom have the extension of colours drawing the eye out in varying directions. So much talent.

    ReplyDelete