Wednesday 30 June 2021

Volunteering Part II, and a visit to a Museum

 I'll put up the rest of the photos from the Exhibition (and there are a lot more lovely things I didn't take photos of), and their attributions, and then do a resume of today.










Each figure was computer-generated I think I remember Chris saying, and then sewn free-style on a sewing machine, and appliqued (you would not catch me even attempting to do anything like this!), it was truly quite amazing.  It made me think, I wonder what YOU were doing during lockdown, Jo Beattie.




Such talent in such differing techniques.

Today was get the boiler fixed day (temporary fix - apparently it hasn't been serviced for 18 mths . . .)  We have had no hot water or heating (not that we needed the latter) for about 5 days now and have been having to boil up water for washing and in my case, hair washing every evening to get pollen off.  I take no chances in June.

This afternoon it was grocery shopping, but before we went to Aldi, we called in at the Radnorshire Museum n Llandod, and had a lovely wander round.  I will post photos tomorrow.  I was really excited and surprised to find one whole corner of a room devoted to a display about the Rev. Frank Kilvert (whose diaries I have read or dipped into time and time again).  It even had his writing desk and beautiful writing slope.  There were books, and photos and paintings done by his sister Thersie (short for Thermusis, there's a name you don't often hear!)  Oh, I was delighted and I will be back!

Right, money has been spent on a new bathroom suite for the house here, and a new toilet to replace the broken one in the en-suite.  The latter arrives this week.  The tiles for the bathroom were delivered yesterday but unfortunately 27 were damaged and so we are now awaiting their replacement. We are also awaiting a return call from the electrician we asked to come and quote for checking wiring here and fitting a new fuse-box . . .  I will have to chase him up.

Now I am off to enjoy bathing with HOT water!
    

8 comments:

  1. Such wonderful talented people being exhibited.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - makes me want to give up, but then I just sew for myself, not for exhibitions!!

      Delete
  2. Being without hot water is horrible, but how we take it for granted. Enjoy your hot bath!
    There are some seriously talented creative exhibitors, and they must have the patience of Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we weathered the storm (do tend to take it for granted though). No baths yet as the bath is like sandpaper, so it's showers only. We have to wait 5 or 6 weeks until the new suite is fitted.

      Those ladies, all friends, are incredibly talented, but obviously sew all day long. I don't!

      Delete
  3. The exhibitors are SO talented and I love the rabbit! Glad you have hot water again - it is such a pain to be without :(

    Can't wait to see the information about Francis Kilvert - what a find!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot water is still a novelty RR! Isn't the rabbit adorable? Apropo of that, in Hay today, I saw a book called "Rabbit Keeping for Beginners" or something similar!!

      You will enjoy the Kilvert post. Just have to stay awake long enough to write it.

      Delete
  4. You are so fortunate to have good access to these exhibitions/museums. I can't imagine the detail work that went into that large people design. Like you, I sew for myself/family, so not much time spent on design work. Might be a direction for the future. Have one large, hand-quilted wall hanging that is 90% complete--but it has been that way for a good 10 years. LOL

    In the midst of two bathroom redos here--one is 97% completed (meaning usable) which is good because the other one is now without any fittings, but it has been completely re-tiled--bath and floor. Holiday in the US this week (4th of July) so a lot of workers are on vacation so will take a bit of time to complete. Next, all the interior/exterior doors will be replaced. Then some more painting/drywalling/replacing fixtures...expensive summer. But needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Exhbition is in a town 30 miles away, so not on the doorstep, but the Museum is just 7 miles up the road, and another good Museum in Brecon, which is 20. The exhibition of sewn items was quite mind-blowing - such skill and imagination. I am best sticking to what I can't muck up!

    I hope you soon have a fully-functioning bathroom again and the other not too far behind. We now have the tiles AND the en-suite loo delivered. I have just phoned an electrician to come and check our wiring and give a quote for any work needed and also to upgrade the fuse box (which is State of the Ark!! Bakelite for heavens sake!) It does sound like we are both having an expensive summer, but we knew some work needed doing when we bought the house.

    ReplyDelete