Sunday 20 June 2021

Well blow me down!

 


This rose, growing up through a tree at the edge of the garden, has been covered in buds for weeks.  I thought, crikey, that's one heck of a Dog Rose - it will look so beautiful when it flowers.  Well, the first bloom unfolded this week, and now overnight (it rained so it had a good drink) more have unfolded.  NOT a Dog Rose, but  rambler.  I thought, hang on a minute, I know that rose . . .


It couldn't be more familiar in fact - it's a Paul's Himalayan Musk!  Well, if that doesn't underline this house was meant for us  I don't know what does!!



Above and below: the view from the end of our track, with the hills hidden under low cloud today.



Above and below: Sweet Cecily, which grew well in Carmarthenshire too.  Brecknockshire (which we are only just inside the border of - Breconshire translated to English) has the Cuckoo Flower as its County Plant.  Click on link for county flowers of the UK.



I finally got so sick and tired of feeding huge amounts of Sunflower seed to juvenile Squirrels that I bit the bullet and paid £15 (incl. £5 postage) for a Squirrel Baffle.  I have to say, it works a treat.  The Greenfinches and Junior aren't frightened by the baffle, and have even started using the metal squirrel-proof feeder too, as have the Goldfinches, with THEIR youngsters.  Delighted to see them.  I bird-watch every time I pass a window.
 

London Pride, Ferns and if you look closely enough, right in the middle are brambles.  They are going to be removed soon . . .



You can hardly see the Buddha behind the lofty heights of the yellow Flag Irises in the pond.  There are far too many of them, and I will have to do a cull this summer.


The spuds are doing well.  Kestrel and Aran Pilot.

I've had a busy day today - up at 6 a.m. and tackled the ironing mountain, stripped the bed later, vacuumed it and remade it, and spent a couple of hours very slowly working on the Roman Blind for the Library.  I have now reached the stage of front done, lining in place and pinned, and now I have realized I can order special tape for the rods which I pinched from the old one.  Gosh I'm glad to see that down - it was more suitable for a teenage boy's room rather than a living area.  I have been taking it apart to see how it was made.  Since it was glued to the window surround,  giving it to a charity shop wasn't an option.

I have started reading The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley, a time-slip novel like the ones by Barbara Erskine.  This is set in Scotland, around Slains Castle.  A good read.


12 comments:

  1. Ok, now I have to comment and reveal myself! I've followed along for some time, greatly enjoying your wanders and gardens. I have rose envy! I lived in the UK for a few years back in the early 1980s, mostly in London but for a little while in a small cottage in Devizes. There was a rambling rose growing up and over the cottage, I later found out a Paul's Himalayan musk. I've wanted one since moving back to the US, but sadly I live too far north and it wouldn't survive our winter. I will have to be content admiring yours from afar! I look forward to more photos on your blog! Best, Celie in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Celie and welcome. I'm glad my Paul's Himalayan Musk has given you pleasure and reminded you of when you lived in Devizes (good museum there!) What a shame you can't grow it where you live - I shall make sure I put up lots of photos of mine for you to enjoy vicariously. Just done a search and is this link any help? You could grow Rugosas at least! https://www.pbs.org/video/the-wisconsin-gardener-hardy-roses/#:~:text=Take%20a%20look%20at%20hardy,rugosa%20roses%20and%20hardy%20climbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beautiful rose is a delight, I look forward to more photos of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful rose and I imagine the musk means it smells good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a lovely fragrance, but mostly above my head here!!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous rose. Yep just another reminder that you are in the place you are supposed to be.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Underlined in red ink I reckon! Glad this is here as the other tall rose by the birdfeeders has reverted to basic white single petals blooms.

      Delete
  6. Serendipity to find that lovely rose.

    Thanks for the book recommendation...adding it to my (already waaaay too long) TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just! As for the book, you will enjoy her writing. I can't put it down.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful to find the rose :) Your garden is coming along a treat. Have made a note of the author of the book you are reading and off to check it out now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is developing slowly. You will love the book (and I will say anything by her).

      Delete