Monday 7 June 2021

Weekend roundup

 


This is what I wish I could be doing right now.  I woke at 4 a.m. and that was it for the night, so I came down and tackled the ironing mountain.  All that king-size bedding had me in a muck sweat.  That lovely pot came with the house and has a rose in it which is not thriving and needs to come and be planted in soil.  I will put the Nepeta in there - perhaps it will be high enough not to be totally flattened by amorous cats!


We took ourselves of to sell at a car boot sale yesterday. It was a PITA carrying stuff down from the attic, I can tell you.  What came back with us will be repacked and go into a stable.  Keith has some military stuff to clear, and even ended up selling the vintage Army jacket he was wearing (£40 was a fair offer - it had only cost him £10 and he'd worn it this past year.  It had a zip that kept jamming, so we won't have that problem any more).  Anyway, this red and white Aquilegia had my name on it, as did the Geum below.  You can't have too many Geums.  They light any dark corner.



I couldn't resist this lovely 70s Flour crock either (£4).  It has instantly replaced a utilitarian Victorian one, which has gone into stock.


Finally, for just 50p, this beautifully-embroidered cushion cover came home with me.  The workmanship is absolutely superb.  I have always appreciated embroideries like this.


If you think THAT was a bargain, Tam went off for a wander and came back with three bags of dinnerset!  17 pieces of Midwinter Invitation (pink carnation) - so pretty.  She was working out the prices of various combinations (sign up said 50p) - dealer (house clearance, and this was pre-Covid stock) said "50p love".  Tam said, yes, she was just trying to work out how much various combinations would cost, and then he replied, "No, 50p THE LOT!"  He DID want rid!  Well, what's a girl to do?  Of course they came home with her!!  She will keep the pieces she wants and sell the rest.  The gravy/sauce boat alone sells for around £15 on Ebay!

Ghengis languishing in the square lawn plot - as you can see he is so far he can hardly reach his tummy!!

Right, time to unpack the car now.  I'm desperate to do some work in the garden, and must crack on today as pollen levels are apparently low, then rising from tomorrow onwards.  June is a month where I spend much of it indoors, looking out at the beautiful weather and always on steroids, as I have pushed my luck being out.  Not on steroids again yet - and having been told off by the Nurse last week, I shall wait until I am really suffering and then see the GP. 

10 comments:

  1. Love the flour crock. Sounds like you had a good day. Geums are so pretty. Sadly, I lost the few I had. Hope you can do some gardening before pollen levels rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the Met Office said officially LOW pollen today so I risked it and did some much-needed gardening - even made a new little bed to put a couple of roses from planters in. Nepeta potted on into a lovely pot that had an ailing rose (it turned out to be split with a root each - one side had good roots and the other hadn't, so one side may not make it.) The new Aquilegia will be going in to join them when I have energy again!

    My best Geum is in a good sized rubber planter and it LOVES it in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really love your aquilegia. Mr T says tell Genghis he is not fat, just in need of some yoga practice to loosen things up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it gorgeous? I am lucky that some stowaway Aquilegias came with me in pots from my last garden, and I saved seed too, which I will broadcast, so it will all spread in time. There were half a dozen Aquilegias here too - deep purple ones. Ghengis needs to stop scoffing everyone's leftovers, truth be told!!

      Delete
  4. That crock is so gorgeous! It always makes me a little sad to see gorgeous handwork at a thrift shop. So much care gone into the making, and now it's being sold for a bit of nothing. Glad you snapped it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? An individual piece by a studio pottery as it has just the artists' initials on the bottom. I hate to see neglected embroideries too. I mean, this had languished on the stall opposite for a few hours - I'd been busy so didn't notice it. The moment I did, I enquired about it and bought it.

      Delete
  5. Lovely flour crock, and the embroidery is beautiful.

    Stay in out of the pollen when it gets too bad.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finger's x'd that I got away with it yesterday (no immediate obvious whammy anyway.) I am hoping as we aren't in a valley here, where the pollen used to settle, the pollen may have less of an impact. It never helped that Keith always wanted to do car boot sales at the old airfield at Carew in Pembs, which caught every wind going so the pollen would be positively rammed down my throat!

      Delete
  6. Two very lovely items - the flour container and that gorgeous embroidered work. Lucky they found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £4.50 well spent I reckon! They had my name on :)

      Delete