Wednesday 14 July 2021

More local walks

 


Photos from my longer up-the-hill walk at the weekend.  Starting with the dramatic view over Llanelwedd quarry from our bathroom window.  Amazingly the rain held off.  

    Last night a certain stripey cat (Theo) decided he would scale my white dresser to get at the spray of synthetic berries to play with.  In doing so, he had broken a favourite little Devon potteries teapot.  The handle had been broken off in moving (it was the ONLY casualty, how typical), but Theo went for gold and it fell four feet and smashed into smithereens.   I was NOT amused.  He wasn't in the least bit contrite.


This is the horse who lives in the field opposite us. I finally got to meet and chat with his owner.










Honeysuckle and, below, a Harebell.



I was trying to get a close-up of the St John's Wort, but got the grass instead!

Yesterday I got on with the long border again and have finally joined up with the corner bed I put in.  I have to straighten the line of the border though, as it's got narrower the further I proceeded and I have some plants to put in, and I really MUST get my cucumbers and leeks in and the well grown double Hollyhocks I grew from seed.

I made some progress with the first curtain, and mitred the corners (my way!), and today I can put the lining in.  First though, I have to go to Llandod for a new kettle as ours decided to dispense with its turn-off function this morning . . .

There's a heat-wave on its way.  I need to work in the garden before that arrives as I don't do heat . . .

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you--I don't do heat either. Considering that yesterday it was 35.5c (real feel 43.8c) you will know why I stayed inside my air conditioned house. It has been a fairly brutal summer so far.

    Trying to imagine myself walking that path up between those fields (5th photo). That would require more than a few stops to 'take in the scenery' (and catch my breath). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both, stopping for breath up that hill Mary! I am trying to be good and walk the less steep lane uphill most days. I couldn't bear the sort of temperatures you are suffering though, and don't blame you for staying indoors with the AC on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do heat either. I mowed yesterday {took all day with my sciatica} and if this heat comes as forecast, the grass won't grow so quickly. I've woken up to sea fret this morning, so, so far it's blissfully cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been looking at the lawn (at the back of the kitchen the ground level is the same height as the kitchen window, which I love.) It's covered in clover, so time to mow again. I shall have to start before it gets hot. As you say, blissfully cool outside at the moment - and we have a river mist down in Builth.

      Delete
  4. Landscapes 'plotted and pieced, restful views that will always inspire.
    Bad Theo! I'm reminded of the jug that Nellie-Cat knocked from a shelf some months ago. We often remark after a 'CATastrophe' that life would be much tidier without our feline companions, but it would be lacking. So, I try to guard my favorite breakables. Shelby-kitten is most adept at climbing where no cat should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelby-kitten obviously has ahead for heights! A couple of our tabbies down the years seem to - it's always the tabbies too! No fear of Ghengis doing similar - his short little legs are a challenge for him to even jump up on the sofa :)

      Delete
  5. I'm desperate for a bit of warmth - yet another grey and chilly day here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Charlotte from U.D. here. Enjoy reading your blog: reading of your life, seeing your photos of your beautiful surroundings. Question: I have not read a current post in Tarragon & Thyme in a month. Does anyone kbow what's happened? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte. Good to hear from you. Trisha, over on Tarragon and Thyme, has started posting on Facebook and Instagram now, hence her blog being left. (Instagram quicker I guess). Her moniker for Instagram is tarragonnthyme.

      Delete
  7. It is turning into a lovely summer and you all must be so happy with the countryside you live in. Loved your previous blog on the church, so much history captured in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle in the hottest part of the day but have plenty to get on with inside (which is deliciously cool). Considering church-browsing today so will get a couple of books out to see in which direction. I'm glad that the cold April and wet May are behind us anyway.

      And yes, we love this beautiful countryside and exploring more of it.

      Delete