Sunday 4 July 2021

Radnorshire Museum - Part II - look away if you are easily offended!

 


It is wonderful that this ancient log boat was found and preserved, although sadly it is not as complete as the one we saw in Derby Museum, which was virtually complete and truly gave a feeling of the power.















I was glad to see that a local smock had survived.  The collar had a Feather-stitched edge and a standard smocking design.  HERE'S a link to a page about them.


I loved the Tally Sticks for counting sheep (bottom of this photo).


Above and below - a lovely Welsh patchwork quilt.



Milking stool and a Great Wheel for spinning wool.



A rare survivor!



This is the Elan valley before the Reservoirs.  Tam and I walked here back in March - that white cottage on the right is still there, and lived in.  The valley is now under Garreg Ddu Reservoir.


Finally, a nod to our Pagan past with this Sheela na Gig.  There is one very similar I have seen an illustration of recently where only the top half remains as obviously considered disgusting later centuries.  There are plenty of links to other Sheela na Gigs in the link, should you be interested.  I think we will be having an outing to Aberystwyth to go to St Padarn's Church again.  



11 comments:

  1. An interesting and eclectic collection. My attention goes directly to that magnificent smock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a work of art, though at the time, I doubt they thought that.

      Delete
  2. The old Elan Valley was reputedly very special - how strange for those who loved there. As a child I recall the flooding of Kielder in my home county of Northumberland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as we need water, or the Army needs training areas, it still seems wrong to remove people from their ancient homelands (I find the Eppynt clearances particularly poignant as we now live so near). Just think, if they hadn't flooded the Elan valley, we would be visiting Shelley's home there . . .

      I see that the Kielder dam was positioned where it was because of the very high rainfall and the low number of people to be "displaced" . . .

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! a Sheela na Gig - saw one of those at Kilpeck and possibly Adderbury in the form of a two tailed mermaid!! Love the corbel too. A lovely selection of items in that museum although I find the log boat about a bit unsettling for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kilpeck one looks almost jolly by comparison! The corbel is a very interesting survival from nearby Abbey Cwm Hir. Llewellyn ap Griffith's body was buried there.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting. That smock is totally gorgeous and amazing that it has lasted as long as it has.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some smocks are really lucky survivors, forgotten in an attic somewhere.

      Delete
  6. Yes I think the quilt reflected the materials to hand. I loved the old spinning wheel. The Sheela-n-gig is as usual horrible, I can't think it was meant to be a representation of the mother goddess. More like frightening you on sin in the ten commandments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the randomness of it - the bits of darker blue being fitted in where they needed something that size rather than a regular pattern! Those reds really "pop" too.

      I have to say I think the Sheela-na-gig is more about condemning lust than a representation of fertility.

      Delete