Sunday 18 July 2021

Outing to Vicarage Meadows Wildlife Reserve

 Yesterday was the first day of Freedom for Tam, after having to quarantine for two weeks.  We decided, as it was so hot, not to overdo things, so checked out Nature Reserves in our area and came up with Vicarage Meadows, a small SSSI at Abergwesyn in the upper Irfon Valley, above Beaulah.  We chose well!  Mind you, after stopping at the church below, the road seemed to go on and on and on and was really very busy for a narrow country lane.

Just before we reached Vicarage Meadows, we saw a sign which said "Tregaron 13" - blimey - it felt like we were heading towards Aberystwyth!

It was worth the slow journey though, through beautiful countryside.  We parked up and the reserve was signposted up a trackway, past a beautiful old building which must have been the Vicarage (lucky vicar - Kilvert would have LOVED it there) and then we had to open gates and go past a cottage, which was so pretty,  though the churchyard is still occasionally used for burials. Coflein says the church was demolished in 1964, having been restored in 1871.  Interestingly the medieval font was removed to the church pictured below - a shame the church was locked. There is a link to Llandovery's William Williams of Pantecelyn fame, as he had the curacy here, prior to his conversion to Methodism by Howell Harris in 1740.

HERE is a link to the page about the Reserve.  Ragged Robin - it is doable from where you stay, but your husband might have 40 fits at the single track lanes to get there!!

We drove back the route which took us back via Llanwrtyd Wells, which was a good call, as we went past the Upper Irfon Valley and a site at White Bridge where you can picnic/walk/paddle etc.  I think Tam and boyfriend will be going there soon.  Gosh, that little lane was busy though, lots of people wanting some countryside and river fun.  Mostly locals I assume, but there were plenty of holiday lets in the area.


We stopped to look at this little church (lovely Arts and Crafts style steeple), but unfortunately it was locked.  Below: an unusual and interesting poem on the door:





This poor young man died at just 19 years of age.  Tam and I thought it very strange for the wording to be "who died from war effect."  Not wounds, or just plain simple died fighting for his country, and we wondered if he had been discharged with shell shock (he was discharged on 10 April 1917, but I can find no more on him unless I take out a membership to access war records). Poor boy.  He will stay in my mind a while . . . so sad.


A truly wonderful place for Wildlife.  We are SO fortunate that both Breconshire and Radnorshire have lots of Wildlife Reserves, so we will be exploring them soonest.  Carmarthen was lacking in that respect, just two or three - every other inch farmed. Check out what we can explore in Breconshire.  Limestone sites next please.






I will find out when this flowers and we can check it out next year.  That would be a very exciting  find.







A first for me, Bog Asphodel.  Isn't it pretty?


Looking back towards the barn.  There was a whole plantation of dead larch just above and to the right of it.




Autumn Hawkbit I believe.  I've not knowingly seen this before, though there are Knapweeds which look very similar.


This was the 2nd meadow, which is considered (from a botanical viewpoint) one of the best in Wales.


Yellow Rattle - gone to seed now, as you can see, and guess what, it rattles when you shake it!!

Great Burnet.  A first for me.  Sorry for duff photo.


Devil's Bit Scabious.


Marsh Lousewort.  Yet another first.



An ancient yew tree in the churchyard.



Here is Hugh Montefiore's obituary from The Guardian.  He was not one shy of speaking out for what he believed in.  I had heard of him and was very surprised that he knew and loved this tiny obscure spot on the planet, where there is no longer even a church.

Gosh, that has taken me two hours to write and research - so many links and then I get distracted with another link and so on!  I hope you enjoy anyway.

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, photos and reserve. Thanks so much for the link - I will check how far it is! OH fixated at the moment with only going to places close to us!! which is a pain! You have certainly moved to a wildlife rich area with all those reserves to explore. Great flowers on the reserve. Thanks again and also special thanks for all your interesting research :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd enjoy it RR. Perhaps you could leave the Mr with a good book and a couple of tinnies and take yourself out for the day! You would be rewarded. Brecknock seems to have a really good bunch of SSSI's and interesting spots to explore.

      Delete
  2. It is good to hear of somewhere called Vicarage Meadows which is't a quaint title made up by the developers of a modern housing estate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite. The upsetting one is the small estate down on the town edge here, which is called Daffodil Woods - and I wouldn't mind betting that is exactly what was there before they cleared it and built on it.

      Delete
  3. So happy for you to have found this as it's made for a lovely post indeed. I also wonder what is meant by "war effect" and agree it's likely to be shell shock. When did that term come into common use? If they had nothing else to call it, war effect might be all they had. My lawn is full of Hawkbit, not pleasing to the neighbours, but now I wonder what sort it is, as I just Googled and discovered many tens of types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails to amaze me what you can find out with a little research and the history of a place makes it truly come alive to me. There's someone whose blog I once read, asked "What's the point of history?" For heaven's sake . . .

      I think shell shock would fit the bill. I hope that the poor lad didn't think that life wasn't worth continuing. His family were just simple farming folk, and I doubt very much whether there was any proper medical treatment for it back in those days. Just rest, I suspect.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a lovely place. I feel peaceful just reading about it. I don't know whether it is just my imagination, but I seem to have come across more types of wild plants than I have never seen before in recent months. Perhaps my eyes have been opened by spending so much time at home over the last year, or perhaps nature really appreciated a year off from us all and is putting on an extra special show as a consequence of less disturbance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that it made you feel peaceful Tracy, in this busy world of ours that's always a good thing. Perhaps the weather has been right to encourage a good crop of wild flowers this year - cold, then wet, then proper summer now. I think perhaps we just notice more.

      Delete
  5. It may have taken you two hours to put together, but I tell you this, I have certainly enjoyed the fruits of your labor. What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did concocting it.

      Delete
  6. It may have taken you two hours to put together, but I tell you this, I have certainly enjoyed the fruits of your labor. What a wonderful post! PS: War effects as defined on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_war

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link too. Off to check it out.

      Delete
  7. Husband subscribes to various sites. He has found out that Evan was discharged 10 April 1917. His service no: 15606, later changed to 267516. He was a Private with Monmouthshire Reg.2nd Bn. Joined up 19 Oct 1914, went to France 30 July 1916, returned to UK 25 Nov 1916, until his discharge. Character: Very good.
    No indication of any wounds on his pension record. Cause of discharge: sickness (on his pension record it says "no longer physically fit for war service" and there are codes on the discharge notice: para 392(XVI)KR. They represent no longer physically fit for war service according to this link https://www.military-researcher.co.uk/KingsRegs1912/Para392Introduction.html
    He is shown as being entitled to the Victory Medal and the British medals, but these would have been awarded after the end of the war, to his family.
    Poor boy, and poor many other boys and men.

    Very, very hot here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scorching here too. I've spent most of the day inside - just going out to water round a couple of times. I felt like the wilting lettuces!

      Thank your husband so much for the info on Evan. All I could get was his discharge date, and his regiment. Thank you for the link too - perhaps my musings were right. So many losses, so many families bereft.

      Delete
  8. Such an interesting post, allowing us to visit along with you. You are surrounded by both beauty and interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MM. We are so fortunate in where we live - it was lovely in Carms, but here we have different scenery and I was thrilled by the number of nature reserves.

      Delete
  9. I think that Abergwesyn is one of my favourite places in all of Wales - certainly it's one of the most impressive valleys. It was cycling through there that convinced me to stay in Wales. I must return soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a place totally off our radar Mark, though we've lived in Wales for 32 years. I think we usually went West or South of the Cothi Valley where we lived, or across to Hay or Brecon. Beaulah was just somewhere that was we drove through on the way to Builth - and we only ever went there to the Fleamarket or other events on the Showground.

      Now the scales have fallen from our eyes, so to speak, and we shall be back. It was very busy on Saturday though - we'll go mid-week or out of the summer holidays.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear Tam is free to get out and about. Love all the photos of wild flowers. Just looking at all that is around you to visit made me think of the Dr Seuss book, Oh, the Places You'll Go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is loving her freedom and has been picking wands of lavender from the garden, to dry for a posy for her young man . . . We would be walking every day but it's just TOO DARN HOT!

      Glad you have enjoyed the wildflower pictures and my explorations.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for such an enjoyable post. I haven't heard mention of William William Pantycelyn since I was in Junior School. (In Wales). It is also the first time I have heard a church called Eglwys Oen Duw - The Church of the Lamb of God. You live in a great area, I look forward to reading more of your visits. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete