Thursday 1 July 2021

Radnorshire Museum - Part I - the Kilvert Corner

 We visited the Radnorshire Museum in Llandod (Llandrindod Wells) a couple of days ago, and whilst it was  a little heavy in Geological deposits downstairs, upstairs was a corner of magic for me - Keith was ahead of me and called out, "Oh, you'll like this!" and he was right :)


First of all, the most beautiful writing box, which was presented to Kilvert when he left Clyro (a village just across the river from Hay-on-Wye) where he had been Curate, on 5th August 1872.  The wood it was made from looked to be Coromandel (it was such a lovely dark and golden grain) and apparently it had no less than 5 hidden compartments - one is generally the rule, usually under the  pen dish at one end.  It was a leaving gift from his Vicar, the Rev. Lister Venables and his (2nd, MUCH younger wife - she was 25 years his junior) Mrs Agnes Minna Venables. They lived at Lysdinam, Newbridge-on-Wye (about 6 miles up the road from Builth) when he retired.  I believe the gardens are open to the public, but will have to check out if that is still the case in these Times of Covid.


I was a prat as I didn't stand back and take a photo of the desk, just this wordage.  I couldn't resist a sly touch of the desk.  Apparently they have his chair too, but can't display it as kids would be climbing all over it.


Clyro Church, as painted by one of Kilvert's sisters, Thersie, on 25 may 1865 (the picture below cut the date off, so I have dated it as per her other works.)  Her name in full was the same as her mother's, and very unusual, Thermusis.  It comes from the Bible (of course) and was the name of the Egyptian pharoah's daughter who looked after Moses after he had been found in the bullrushes.  Her father was believed to be either Seti I or Rameses II.


The venerable Rev. Richard Lister Venables (1809 - 1894) who was a graduate of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.  His father was Vicar of Nantmel, Llanyre and Clyro.  He became Vicar of Clyro in 1847 and retired to Llysdinam (Newbridge-on-Wye) in 1872.  He was Chairman of Radnorshire Quarter Sessions.  I have to say, he looks quite fierce and doesn't look like he has a smile in him!


A watercolour painting of St Mary's Church, Monnington on Wye, which was painted by Sir George Cornewall of Moccas Court (in the Golden Valley beyond Hay) as a gift for Kilvert's sister Thersie, after she was widowed and left Monnington on Wye in 1889, where her husband, the Rev. William Robins Smith, was Rector for 15 years.


More of Thersie's watercolours, Hay Castle above, and Bettws Church below.







Sorry, I cut the end off this page so you will just have to work out the endings.








I hope you can read this, or at least get the gist.





I spoke to the very helpful lady in charge, and said how wonderful it was that they had this collection, and she said she had something very special which they couldn't display but I would find interesting, and took me to a locked room, and inside was, wait for it, Kilvert's loo!  Very decorative with a pattern in a deep blue, and still connected to the sort of stirrup pump arrangement which, ahem, emptied it!

I shall go back and peruse this collection again and take some more photos.  So, Ragged Robin, I can see you will have to have a trip further afield when you are next in Herefordshire!  (There is parking at the back of the Museum, so check it out).

HERE is a link to the conservation of this collection in an old Kilvert Society Journal.

16 comments:

  1. I have a copy of Kilvert's diaries. He moved from Clyro and came to live here, where I work and live. The diaries are fascinating for the insights into the life of the area/s at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Tom, and several books about him. I take it you are the L.B. end then. I found his diaries so fascinating - a real link with late Georgian times and even the Peninsular War. Such characters too - the lone Solitary (Rev. John Price, and Carmarthenshire-born indeed) lives in my memory still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A marvelous collection. It seems hard to believe, but my grandparents were born around the time of some items displayed--1868/1877, respectively. Never knew my grandfather as he died before I was born, but did know my grandmother. She died when I was 10. You would have found her funeral interesting...in London, from her home where her body laid prior to burial, we walked to the cemetery behind an ornate black wooden-framed glass carriage--drawn by two horses wearing huge black plumes on their briddles. Not a memory one is likely to forget. Collections like you have shown are interesting--thinking about the history of their early years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating to read this Mary. Mine were a bit later (1880s and 1890s). Your grandmother's funeral sounds very Victorian in style. Funeral horses are popular again I believe.

      Delete
  4. My dad collected writing/ sewing boxes like the first photo. I always was fascinated by the hidden compartments.
    I didn't know coromandel was a wood! I thought it was a style of inlaid furniture, looked it up on wiki.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely - were any passed on to you? I know of Coromandel from my husband's woodworking and from studying antiques down the years.

      Delete
  5. I'd not heard of this wood before. I have a Victorian writing box I got while living in England. It's stored in a closet now, and just today I thought perhaps it is time I pass it along to my niece. Best, Celie. (PS, I tried to reply to your helpful comment about roses here, but I kept getting a request to prove I'm not a robot! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it wants to verify you - a friend has this on her blog too and I normally ignore it, but have on occasion pressed that key and it's been OK (I've not gone up in smoke!!)

      Time to pass your writing slope on then, if it lives in the cupboard. I am sure your niece will love it. I think Coronmandel has always been a rare and expensive wood to use. I am sure that the Rev. Venables paid a good sum on top of that which was donated in order to get Kilvert THE best slope available.

      Enjoy your roses, whatever they be. My new ones are just starting to bloom.

      Delete
  6. What a marvelous collection of goodies. I really like the writing box and Book of Common Prayer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interesting things. I am glad that these were saved, even though the majority of the diaries that Kilvert wrote were destroyed, including the one about his time at St Harmon, near Rhayader (a living he took although he had to rent as the Vicarage had occupants, and he hated the architecture of the church.)

      Delete
  7. I had to study him for my OU course. Being forced to study something almost always puts me off, but I did buy an artist illustrated copy of his diary in a jumble sale, for 50p, so I might decide to read it as your writings have piqued a fresh interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the enjoyment being taken from a book by having to study it, but his diaries are definitely worth revisiting.

      Delete
  8. Oh Wow!! What a wonderful post and thank you SO much especially for all the photos. I am going to be re-reading this post many times. I will check how far it is on google maps!! The geology bit of the museum sounds interesting too - so good to see that these mementoes of Kilvert's life remain and are displayed. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good Museum, but I think they are stuck for funding to allow big change-arounds of exhibits, which is a shame. Much to enjoy there though. If you haven't got it already, buy a copy of Chris Barber's "Exploring Kilvert Country" which has walks and drives to all those places you know from his writings. Of course, if you visit Hay, you are just a mile from Clyro . . .

      Delete
  9. What treasures... a fantastic visit for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I am now having a Kilvert Season again, rereading his diaries and planning visits from Chris Barber's book "Exploring Kilvert Country" - which we live right on the very edge of.

      Delete