Tuesday 13 July 2021

St Cewydd's Church at Aberedw and a Ta-Dah moment

 I am sat here listening to birdsong - well, Greenfinches squabbling at the feeders really!  I have fallen foul of an element of the Asda order, which has just delivered, and am scoffing a tiny packet of gummy pick 'n' mix.  I have told myself I deserve them, as I have been hacking away at the border extension in the side garden and it's hot work - so much stone laid over the old gas pipe, no longer in use.

    This is St Cweydd's Church at Aberedw, which Keith and I went and explored 8 days ago.  It was the first church on an "Exploring Kilvert Country" drive in Chris Barber's book.

    Kilvert was greatly enamoured of Aberedw - he loved the train journey on the old - extinct now - thanks to Dr Beeching - Mid-Wales railway, as it followed the Wye river valley and the towering rocks above it (we are someone taken by it too).

    Here he is in full flow: 

"Oh, Aberedw, Aberedw.  Would God I might dwell and die by thee.  Memory enters in and brings back the old time in a clear vision and waking dream, and again I descent from the high moor's half encircling sweep and listen to the distant murmur of the river as it foams down the ravine from its home in the Green Cwm and its cradle in the hills.  Once more I stand by the riverside and look up at the cliff castle towers and mark the wild roses swinging from the crag and watch the green woods waving and shimmering with a twinkling dazzle as they rustle in the breeze and shining of the summer afternoon, while here and there a grey crag peeps from among the tufted trees." 

    There is a further paragraph in his diary, if you are tempted to read on.

    I did take a photo of the outside of the church, but somehow it didn't load, and I've since cleared the camera, so you will have to go to THIS LINK to see it. The porch is really pretty with a solid oak fret  - see photo on link.



Internally, the church has an unusual late medieval rood screen.  Below: the font.



As you can see, those pesky Baskervilles got about a bit.


A pensive Mary with Jesus (degradation of this has given them both a beard . . .) A rather eerie hand of Jesus is by her chin.



Above and below: these look rather Arts & Crafts in their design.




Here's another warning along the lines of "Reader, prepare to die!" - "When on this Stone you cast your Eye, Think of your Own Mortality, Remember me you follow must, And lie as I do in the Dust."  You have been warned.


St Cweydd and St Teilo beautifully rendered in stained glass, windows in memory of William Thomas Rees of Pontshone (which I think was the lovely house with the open garden Tam and I went to) and A.N. Other - I cut that bit off.


A Medieval doorway, to the Facilities.


Finally, a "Ta Da" moment - Roman Blind made and hung. Phew.  Curtains next.  Half way through the first.  It took longer than expected, my first effort too, but let's say I learned on the job!




This lovely old bank of drawers we bought recently in Hay, and will enjoy until we start Fairs again (if ever  we do . . .)  The scribbling is the work of woodworm underneath paint. . .

8 comments:

  1. Between you and Sue, I'm getting to see a range of churches across Suffolk and over to Wales. :) So much history.

    Good job on the Roman blind...a lot of work. Lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah hah - aren't you! There'll be another one later in the week, which we briefly visited after this (but couldn't get inside).

      The Roman blind looks splendid in there - I first found that material as a remnant in Carmarthen, and then ordered a length of it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this tour of the church and its beautiful features. Old churches must have fascinating stories of people who worshiped there and of the long history. Stained glass windows give me a special joy. I have never made curtains like you did, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These old churches have such histories, and sometimes important or interesting people attached to them.

      I've made lots of sets of curtains down the years, so don't have to concentrate on those as much as the Roman Blind, which was a First!

      Delete
  3. I'm always drawn to arch doorways. Have you thought about getting out your paints and restoring the image, just as that woman did in Spain? {or was it Italy?} I do like the stained glass, and agree you live in such a beautiful place. We are both blessed where we live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The painting is in the church RP - I think they might not take kindly to my restoring it!

      I count my blessings every day that we live in such a beautiful area.

      Delete
  4. The fabric for curtains and shades is a winner! Well done to you for attempting and successfully finishing a Roman shade. I've always made curtains and they get repurposed from one house to another whenever possible. Several nice sets made for the farmhouse windows have gone to our niece's tiny country house where they are a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? The first curtain is now hung and looks just perfect. I shall start on the 2nd one when it gets too hot to garden.

      Glad that curtains are repurposed with you too. I have bought some from Dunelm for front of house (the two front bedrooms and the living room, all BIG windows). I am happy to sew smaller ones though, and am plotting a longer Roman Blind for the long thin window on the turn of the stairs, though Tam thinks it should be left without. I disagree!

      Delete