Saturday 6 November 2021

A few photos around Hay and a trip to Cenarth Falls

 


Photo for Sue in Suffolk, Ragged Robin and anyone else who likes postboxes.  This is the gold one in Hay, celebrating the success of Paralympian athlete Josie Pearson in 2012.  Note also remembered in Braille and in Welsh/Welsh Braille.




A general view of the market.  Ellen's jewellery where the lilac cloth is, then the chap who sells vegetable preparation tool and the Organic veg chap.  The figure on the wall is that of Henry (Tudor) VII.  That end wall houses the Cheese market, whilst beyond the white building is the Butter Market.


Velvet Fern always has some beautiful things on display.


Opposite, Rob's shop goes for the manly eclectic look.  We go in for a natter every time we're in Hay.


Back up in the main market,  a great choice of local artisan cheeses, and health food items, where we often stock up.


Things in shop windows - liked the curved shaping of this ceramic street.


A thoughtful Chameleon.


Yesterday we met up with my cousin and her husband again.  She suggested somewhere half way - which might have been Llandeilo, logically, but not a great deal there for them to look around, so we suggested Cenarth, which was nearer them than us, and very pretty. I just took a few quick photos before we had a bite to eat (their treat).  The menfolk had bacon rolls and Sally and I had toasted cheese sandwiches, which really hit the spot.  We sat outside in a little marquee and had a lovely chat.




    Thisis the antiques shop at Rhydowen where we bought a couple of things a year ago.  These were the Cast Iron rack of hooks in the kitchen, and the Arts & Crafts copper lamp we have STILL NOT FOUND!  This shop was on the route home, so it would have been churlish not to stop and check it out.  Nothing for us this time, but we had a nice chat with the shop owner.  

    Below: I would have loved to have brought this home - SO pretty - but not big enough for the storage of my craft things in the pink bedroom, which was a shame.  The painted design was so pretty.



Right, this won't do.  Now the Wilko order's arrived I have the right size picture hangers for hanging my little stitched pictures on the tall half-landing wall, and I also have the new smoke alarm to put up.  Toaster, watch out!!!

    Have a lovely weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish there were markets like those in your photos around here. Fond memories of them from my childhood. Enjoyed your photos of the postbox and items you saw on your rounds. The curved ceramic street was clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Markets are still very much a regular thing in Britain. Farmers markets usually once a month as well. Glad you enjoyed the walk round Hay. The little curved street is more unusual - often there are ones made from Driftwood, but straight.

      Delete
  2. I love the Gold Post boxes! Thank you for these lovely pictures of such a BEAUTIFUL area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I've pleased someone else too! It is indeed a lovely area.

      Delete
  3. I love love that ceramic street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos as usual. Love the gold post box, so very different.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them. Not many gold post boxes about - but trust Hay to have one!

      Delete
  5. Gosh you both don't half get around. Lovely photos, especially the market. We do have one here several times a week but not half as visually pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past 8 days I have driven to Llandeilo and back (for an Antiques Fair where our lots of our friends sell); driven to the Hospital in Hereford and back; driven to Hay and back; driven a long way down to Cenarth Falls and back, and today driven another long way to Malvern Antiques Fair and back.

      The Hay market has interesting things for sell. A couple of Collectables stalls, a coffee stall, fish stall, plants (lovely ones too), one dedicated to artisan bread at a price I'm not going to part with again!, socks, baked goods, cider and beer, pictures, fruit and veg, silver jewellery and crystals. All sorts.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and also drove all the way up to Dolgellau and back on the Sunday. How could I forget that?! I'll keep my road skills up as much as possible though. They are soon lost.

      Delete
    3. "I'll keep my road skills up as much as possible though. They are soon lost." One of the reasons I sold my car, as I became increasingly nervous about driving.

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry to hear that. I thought it was just because you were moving into the town so didn't need it so much. I don't enjoy motorway driving - and haven't done any since moving here) and couldn't face the M25 anymore, but we need our freedom. Keith can't drive these days - and may never again, so I have to keep up to speed on everything.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the gold post box pictures :) Lovely to see! We still haven't got as far as Hay so I suspect it will be next year before we go now. Have almost finished a super non fiction book on Matilda, Lady of Hay by Logaston Press. I may re-read the Barbara Erskine one too over the winter. Hay does look super and the waterfalls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought of you and Sue as I took the pics. Go to Hay on a Monday, or perhaps early on a Friday (as it was always dead when we did the Friday Flea - the day after market day is normally quiet in any town.)

      I've got that Matilda book (Keith treated me). Good isn't it?

      You will adore Hay when you do visit.

      Delete
  7. You know how I love your Out and About posts, markets and scenic places both!

    ReplyDelete