Wednesday 17 November 2021

X-stitch pictures from the past

 

X-stitch is high on my agenda at the moment - I'm taking advantage of being in the mood to do it (NOT in  a patchwork mood right now) and to finish off a gift.  Here is a beautiful design from the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady book of charts I still have and love.  I sewed it for my friend Annie (who sadly died 5 years ago last March) after she had been widowed.  She and her husband had a couple of beautiful stained glass Dragonflies in their cottage.  The gold-work wings on the one in this design weren't easy to work as the thread wasn't co-operative!  She cherished it and it was by her bed after she died, so her daughter gave it back to me.



Here are the x-stitch pictures I hung on the wall last week.  This first one is sewn by my dear friend G - we started off as penpals when I was about 20, but have been friends for decades now.  I had always hoped to return to Dorset to live, and missed it SO MUCH the early years we were in Wales, but like Devon, it was not meant to be.  Note Kingston (brilliant cider in the pub there back in the day) and Worth Matravers,  our favourite Purbeck walk which went down to the quarries and the sea, and Dancing Ledges. Great pub there too!  (The Square and Compass).


Here's one of mine (I'll have to put my details on the back).  This was sewn in the 1990s - TINY x-stitches as it's very fine Aida.


I can remember sewing this one when all three (small) offspring were in the bath.  They had VERY long baths and as I sat by the sink and sewed, they would say, we're washed now, can we come out now?  And I would say, in a minute . . . until they resembled prunes, they were so wrinkled! I am pretty sure that the pattern was sent by an American penfriend.  She had her heart set on sewing 100 samplers and was well into that number when we were last in touch.


Tom Kitten, sewn for Middle Daughter, to go in her room.  I had a T for Tam too, with another kitten, but that never got worked.


Another lovely one from my friend G.  You will notice the relevance of Kingston or Worth Matravers now!  I vaguely remember a similar design of a blacksmith's shop, which I think I sewed for her.


I absolutely LOVED sewing this.  It was very straightforward and I just love Fungi!


Another present from G and I adore this. Those Foxgloves set the landscape off beautifully.


Finally, what I'm currently working on.  I've made a boo-boo with the top of the trees on the left (e.g. the top straight bar of stitches should be an inch lower) - probably why this got abandoned in frustration a couple of years back.  However, I shall sort it out.  The single x-stitch stitches are in 501 and 502, just a shade apart and the counting and spacing has been sending me mad.  I'll be glad to finish this bit.

I was looking for a new X-Stitch magazine in W H Smith in Brecon recently, but hardly any seem to be on sale any more.  Quilting and card-making were well-represented.  I don't know what magazines folded due to the Pandemic - certainly ones I used to get weren't on the shelves, but perhaps they had sold.  I used to get Cross-Stitch Gold, and there was Stitch, and a more general one called Workbox.  Ah well, I will have to go through the few that came with me on our move - although that includes the dozen or so American "Just X-Stitch" magazines which I absolutely treasure.  I used to buy them when we were on holiday in Dorset, from a Patchwork shop in Blandford.  Oh, I can still remember the absolute luxury of stopping for food at a supermarket in Shaftesbury, and Keith took the kids in to get lunch and I was able to read my new magazines (I got patchwork ones too, also from America).  Happy memories.

19 comments:

  1. You've got some lovely memories stitched into all those lovely pictures.
    Well done with the metallic thread dragonfly - I tried those thread once or twice but never again.
    Love the fungi and the one below from your friend - beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not used metallic thread since! They all have a soft spot in my heart.

      Delete
  2. I did lots of X stitch in the 89s and 90s and have been rediscovering it in retirement too. You've brought back many happy memories , thank you πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸŒŸ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have rediscovered it again and today's post brought back happy memories.

      Delete
  3. You do have some lovely pieces. I can see why you treasure the landscape one surrounded by foxgloves. It is brilliant. I've done my share of x-stitching and have ample supplies to do many more, as well as other embroidery and needlepoint gear, but simply haven't been in the mood for it. Of course, I've ample supplies of wool yarn, knitting needles, many lengths of fabric and patterns, too. Not doing much with them either, except for periodically picking up a wool scarf I started when I was over the Pond last month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are talking to a kindred spirit, although I did get rid of most of my wool before we moved. Still have lots of knitting needles, MUCH patchwork fabric and other Useful Pieces! As I am a bit down at the moment, I am just doing the one thing I want to do.

      Delete
  4. Some lovely memories - certainly worth cherishing :) and many many hours of stitching. My brother, when he'd languished in a bath a bit longer than necessary used to say (he was about 4 or 5 at the time) - my fingers have gone all rinty (that prune look they get) and has become a family 'term' for that very look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I shall have to try and remember that term! One of our family ones is "nicky noses" when cats rub noses with you!

      Delete
  5. I like the fungi and the quilting ones best. I have never been much good at sewing but I taught myself how to use a sewing machine and can make basic things like cushion covers -and I sew buttons and basic mending. But I admire the skill and dexterity in these. I seem to recall there is an artist in St Davids who make embroidery pieces - somebody Dixon? Is that right? - perhaps I should go look again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on mastering the sewing machine. I have always made my own curtains and cushion covers - made curtains and a blind for the small windows in the Library here, but have now run out of steam. I haven't heard of the chap in St David's, but know of a lass up in N. Wales who makes amazing patchwork pictures.

      Delete
  6. Some lovely pieces there BB and some lovely memories. I have not been able to craft much recently and when I have I have been knitting a few rows here and there on a long term project have recently started with some of my Mum's Aran wool. I will not get the Christmas tablecloth finished this year. Since have been home had not had a chance to craft. Itching to get away in the van again so I can. It is lovely to see you doing some cross stitch for a change xxx hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully after Christmas when you are up to date with all your preserves, you will find time to craft again. What a shame about the Christmas tablecloth not being completed.

      Delete
  7. You do such lovely stitching.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. (But the errors aren't obvious!)

      Delete
  8. I absolutely adore cross-stitch and these pieces are exquisite!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you working on anything at the moment Andrea?

      Delete
  9. The foxgloves one is a Rowandean kit. I love their kits and designs, so beautiful. Have done at least 3 over the years.
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember. I did a lovely one with Nettles in for Gay. Must look out the chart and make that for me. I've just been across to the Rowandean site - some lovely things but the smaller ones tend to be beaded rather than more embroidery stitches.

      Delete