Saturday 13 November 2021

A strange coincidence . . .

Good morning.  I could tell it was a weekend day here, as even before 8 a.m. there were the roar of motorbikes heading up the main road and it is still continuing.  I imagine that the West End Cafe in Llandovery will be doing a brisk trade this morning.  That's where they always seem to head for.

Yesterday I had an email from an old friend/neighbour of ours where we used to live.  She said that our nearest neighbour had died last week - the disease which killed him having been a rapid-onset version of something which normally takes many years to claim a life.  He died on Tuesday.  Strangely enough, on Tuesday Keith and I were talking about him - it makes you wonder whether we were somehow intuitively aware of his passing - as if his spirit had given us a thought as it left him.  Who can say?  A strange coincidence though.  What do you think?  Pure coincidence or something more?

Having put the lining paper on the scraped-down bit of our bedroom wall where the sink used to be, today I am going to see how I manage with some of the dark blue wallpaper I bought back in the summer.  I will need to clear the decks on the kitchen table first though, so I can cut the wallpaper.  I was going to do it yesterday, and then Keith mentioned that there was jumps racing on from Cheltenham, so wallpapering was abandoned and I sat and watched the racing instead.  He made me laugh when his horse (subject to a £2 bet!) was going round, resolutely last and he said, "Well, if THAT wins it will be a blardy miracle!"  It managed to come in 4th.

I did some more on the x-stitch Christmas present having realized, if the date on the magazine I'm using is anything to go by, that it has been a Work In Progress for up to 5 years now, though I think it is actually 3years.  (I don't feel so guilty then!)  I am really enjoying it - it is my treat, something to look forward to doing each day.  I'm doing outlining at the moment, and grass, and that way I can put in any tiny bits of stitching I had missed.  When this is done I shall finish the Devon village x-stitch (quite a big one that I'm nearly finished on) and get that hung.  I've hung my little collection of x-stitch and embroidered pictures on the staircase wall so will take a photo of that next week.




 The view from the bathroom window, looking across to Llanelwedd quarry.  Not a romantic scene perhaps, but a familiar one. The quarry lights are on all night - they must have a huge electricity bill!  As you can see, autumn colours abound, and the Sycamore across the lane from us has lost most of its leaves now and we are starting to see the glimpse of Aberedw Hill we get in the winter months.   


More Autumn colours looking out of the Pink bedroom window.  It was better with the light on it the other day when the tree to the left, which is smothered in Oak Moss, lit up beautifully.


Ghengis warming his btm and yes, the keyboard DID get a wipe down after he was moved on.


I had An Indulgence this month - Country Living was on offer, and you get a couple of extra bits too.  I got 6 months for £10 off the normal price, plus a Calendar and Diary which will be delivered separately.  This December issue arrived this week.


Another indulgence.  I had and read this book years back, and then it went in a clear out a few years back.  I fancied reading it again, especially as we fans of Phil Rickman are eagerly awaiting his new book, which has been held up for several years because he had a Stroke, poor man.


Apple Dappy.  It tastes SO good.

APPLE DAPPY (Serves 6)

8 oz (225g) S-R flour
2 oz (50 g) margarine
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 pint (150 ml) milk
Pinch salt
1 tblspn Demerara sugar
1/2 level tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves or mixed spice
2 good-size apples (I use cookers, but dessert will do)

Syrup:

1 (washed) lemon or a little lemon essence
1 tblspn golden syrup
1/2 oz (15g) margarine
4 oz (100g) sugar
7 fl. oz (200 ml) water

Make syrup first.  Peel fine strips of lemon rind and squeeze lemon.  Put rind, juice and all other syrup ingredients into a pan and stir over a gentle heat until sugar is dissolved.  Leave to cool.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and rub in marg.  Mix to dough with milk.  Roll into 8" x 5" x 1/4" thick rectangle on floured board.  (20 x 13cm x 7 mm thick).

Peel, core and chop apples and spread on pastry.  Mix sugar and spice together and sprinkle over apple.  Roll up pastry and apple like a swiss roll.  Then cut into slices about 1" (2.5 cm) thick.

Grease an oven-proof dish  and lay slices flat on it.  Remove lemon rind from syrup and pour over the apple slices.  Bake in a moderately hot oven, Gas 6, 375 deg. F, 190 deg. C for about 30 mins.

Serve with cream or custard.

This is an old Devon recipe .


30 comments:

  1. I bought a set of three little Xmas decorations in 1994 - and didn't finish them till 2008. The kit moved house with me - twice! So don't feel too bad about your delayed WIP. I like the term "Working on my PhD [Projects half Done] If I were not on this blood sugar diet, I'd make the Apple Dappy for Sunday Pudding. It looks fabulous - I'd serve with thick home made unsweetened yogurt, and kid myself that with the fruit , that is a Very Healthy Dessert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gifts from offspring which I was DESPERATE to start sewing when I got them, and then life has -as per usual - gotten in the way! Hopefully now I have picked up my needle again, I will be able to keep sewing on something.

      Sorry to have tempted you with the Apple Dappy. It really is something special but does need the sugar - if only to offset the lemon in the sauce!

      Delete
  2. I think that sort of thing about your neighbour's husband is more than coincidence. There is a form of telepathy which exists in the scientific world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I am right with you on that one. As a person who "picks up" on atmospheres at places (that stopped us buying one house outright - Keith very keen, but having lived with a resident entity at our last house, I didn't want to up the anti to full blown pillar-of-ice type ghost in a blocked up doorway!) I wouldn't be at all surprised if our neighbour - we had known him 32 years and often chatted and put the world to rights - had got in touch as he left this mortal coil.

      Delete
  3. The trees are turning lovely colours. Mmmm the apple dish sounds wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty? It's much prettier round here with the trees - lots of Beech and Oaks. Where we lived before there was a preponderance of Ash trees which just went brown and rapidly shed their leaves.

      Delete
  4. Is golden syrup the same as corn syrup, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never mind! It is not, but I looked it up and I can make it myself! Whatever did we do before the times of google?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found out (had a busy day here) and can make Apple Dappy with your ingredients to hand. You'll thank me!

      Delete
  6. I have WIP's from 1992. They're so separated out now I doubt I could finish them with the original parts. The Appley Dappley looks delicious. I haven't bought a copy of CL in years, but have many copies to hand, as they seem to be very similar year in year out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably have too, if I am honest . . .

      CL can be a bit sameish - just got a 6 mth sub.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful misty scenery and baking. Yum. The house must have smelled so good. I had similar incident w someone passing one, a bit removed, but noticeable. I had been looking thru old photos of an internet friend's mother's collection of Navaho bracelets [gorgeous]; the friend really does not stay in touch but I am fond of her. Anyway the pics made me think of her and her mother. The following day I heard from yet another friend that the mother passed away the evening previous, just as I looked at those old photos.

    Sorry, a bit long, but i find such occurrences interesting.

    lizzy at gone to the beach....

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are things which you cannot logically explain - but that doesn't stop them happening. As Tom said, it's a form of telepathy. In our case, his final thoughts would have been of the bungalow by the river, and his mum - his health took a sudden dive when she dies suddenly - and we would always stop for a chat when we were passing . . .

    My daughter buys Navaho jewellery when she finds it and sells it on her little Ebay site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold my collection of Native American jewelry when I got divorced. Selling everything on eBay did produce a nice bit of much needed cash, tho I still regret having to part with many of the items.

      Delete
    2. What a shame you had to part with things you loved. I hope you have been able to source some similar replacements since.

      Delete
  9. Strange coincidence about your ex neighbour but sometimes things we cannot explain occur. I am sorry to hear the news though. Gosh haven't read Country Living for years as I now subscribe to Landscape but that is a good offer :) I didn't realise Phil Rickman had had a stroke - how awful and it does explain delay in new Merrily book - I'm re-reading that series. Not yet read Dr Dee!!

    Lovely autumn colours in your photos :) I've noticed huge influx of motorbikes on A roads in Herefordshire on the odd occasion we have been there at the weekend.

    I bought a mini Christmas Robin cross stitch from Hobbycraft to attempt BUT it is SO small even with a magnifying glass I would struggle - the stitches are tiny!!! Apple Dappy looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are two in the Dr Dee series - the other one is The Bones of Avalon, which I also parted with. Probably will replace it though! Don't blame you for plumping for Landscape, it's a beautiful magazine. CL was a whimsical purchase . . .

      Oh gosh, that's no good for the eyes is it, if you need a magnifying glass to sew it. How about scaling it up on larger count Aida?

      Delete
    2. Not a bad idea re: the cross stitch if I can work out how to do it!! The mini piece I have of a robin is about 2 inches by 3 inches or perhaps a bit bigger. I couldn't even sew crosses that small even if I could see them!!

      Delete
  10. I believe these things do happen. They have happened to me as well. I also find myself 'knowing' something will happen some times. It just pops in the head, not words exactly but the knowledge that it will happen. Science says that there is a great portion of our brains that we don't use. (In the case of 1/3 of my country right now, I have no difficulty believing that one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby - I have had this since I was 16 or so - the ability to know something will happen - it used to be a phone call or the arrival of an unexpected letter, but I have had other things down the years and if I shared some of these experiences on here everyone would think I was barking mad! All I can say is, they only happen when my mind is "open" and sort of neutral. I'm not concentrating on anything else.

      You did make me smile about a large portion of your country being lacking in the trait for unused brain bits!!

      Delete
  11. That apple daisy looks very good - a new recipe to me.

    In determining if your thinking of a friend was a coincidence or other you might (or I guess might not) like to consider the philosopher David Hume's views on the chance of a miracle. By miracle he meant any event that we put down to 'outside' powers or to 'divine intervention'.
    It goes something like this
    What is the chance, however improbable, that your thoughts or experience were the result of coincidence or misrepresentation, or mis-remembering, or association - indeed, whatever explanation you might need to conjure by which to explain them in a rational way. It may be that you believe the chance to be extremely slim...
    But then compare that chance - however slim - with the chance that the laws of nature as we know them have been upended and that there was some divine intervention, or your experience was the result other power of which we know nothing in science.
    Hume's view is that the probability of the former will always be greater than the latter - in other words, that the chance of our experience being a 'miracle' is always less than that of a rational explanation.
    Not everyone agrees, but if I'm honest I tend to think he is right.

    Take care.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps one day there will be rational explanations for such happenstances and - shall I call them other-worldly? - experiences. For the moment I know I can "pick up" on things that have happened and past emotions and heaven knows how I explain that, but I can vouch for it as fact. You go down to the Museum of Speed at Pendine on a quiet day, and stand close to Babs, and you tell me if you don't pick up on something . . .

      Delete
  12. This is NOT a co-incidence at all. It has happened to me many times and I think you do have some sort of feeling for what has happened. He would have been happy to know you were thinking of him.
    Best Wishes to you, and I love reading your blog.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley, I'm inclined to think more than a coincidence too. He was a nice chap and adored his mother. When she died he literally fell apart. I'd like to think we were part of his final thoughts - but I expect he was already at the bungalow with his mum in his head as he passed.

      Delete
  13. I don't believe in coincidences. I believe your former neighbor gave you a little nudge as his spirit flew by. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We knew him all the time we'd been in Wales. I am glad he is no longer suffering.

      Delete
  14. I have bene thinking again about this post and my earlier reply from the 'rational school'. No sooner had I pressed publish than message arrived from a friend I was thinking about this morning but had not heard from in a year. I could rationalise this away - and no doubt I will - and yet, and yet... It seems I'm not all rational after all.
    Meanwhile I have decided to make apple daisy this week and shall report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think beyond rational exists. I was about to share convincing proof of something else that happened but as the tears pour down my face, I think it is just too personal to share.

      Apple Daisy is Apple DAPPY, but call it what you like and enjoy eating it!

      Delete
  15. Now I've got this in my head:

    "APPLEY DAPPLY, a little brown mouse,
    Goes to the cupboard in somebody's house.

    IN somebody's cupboard
    ⁠There's everything nice,
    ⁠Cake, cheese, jam, biscuits,
    ⁠—-All charming for mice!"

    ReplyDelete