Monday 1 November 2021

Ectoplasm in North Wales!!

 


This is Clywedog Reservoir.  We had occasion to pass it yesterday as I had been looking on Facebook Marketplace  (thanks to Sue at Lavender Lodge for the heads up) for a cupboard/sideboard for the kitchen for all my baking ingredients and pans.  I found one, exactly what I wanted, but not quite local as it was up in North Wales, Dolgellau to be precise.  Anyway, we agreed a price and Tam and I set off first thing yesterday morning.  We bought lunch at Greggs before we set off (just as well as there were no shops open in Dolgellau) and sat at the reservoir and had a late breakfast of part of the grub whilst we looked at the view.  Apple Danish - Oh My!!


We had seen the forecast later (thunderstorms were due to accompany our arrival at Dolgellau), so made the most of the sunshine.  When we came back this way, there were white-crested waves ripping along the reservoir and flinging themselves against the wall at the end.




We drove through such beautiful countryside -I wish I could have video'd the journey to show you as it was just stunning.  When we spotted this waterfall ahead as we drew close to Dolgellau, we just had to pull over into a convenient layby and take photos.  Can't ID it - there are lots of waterfalls in this part of Snowdonia.



It reminded me of Ectoplasm - perfect for Halloween then!!


The moment we arrived at our destination, the rain arrived on time, but fortunately just showery at that point.  We loaded the sideboard (which thankfully wasn't too heavy) and then I had to reverse back along the street which was narrow, had cars parked on one side and wheely-bins on the other.  Tam was directing me, but I had to pull my wing mirror in a couple of times when I was level with a wall which jutted out. Phew.  I was glad to get into the bigger street, where we parked up and had a walk around the town.

Dolgellau apparently has over 200 listed buildings.  I'm not surprised.  Lovely architecture - they seemed to go for the biggest stones they could find!



I think the "steps" up the chimney are to guide some of the rain away from the join of the chimney and roof.   If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.


This lovely old house looked like someone had cut it in half!





We stopped at Corris when we were back on the Machynlleth road.  Tam's boyfriend had taken her here to a bungalow which had Italianate miniature buildings on its land.  Check HERE.  There's a selection of craft outlets here, and I got a couple of artisan gifts for Christmas presents.  Then we drove back over the mountains, with gusts of wind of about 50 or 60 mph buffeting the car, and heavy rain flinging itself in horizontal sheets across the landscape.  It was good to get home, but we will return.  HERE is a link to the Dolgellau area, in case you are tempted to visit.


Finally, here's my new-to-me sideboard.  I wanted one with a back like that (a nod to past design) and also to stop the cats knocking my jars off the back!  They will doubtless jump up there.  I now have all my baking things in this cupboard, particularly the various bread flours.  Pans are in there too, and other ingredients.  I prefer for everything to be tidied away (though looking at this house you would see what a failure I am at this!)  The old Dairy Table that used to be there is now holding the kitchen tv (a spare one we thought we may as well use as have in the attic) and we have the little oak table that was there before to go up to the attic later.

16 comments:

  1. Those villages are very beautiful, but I can just imagine all the teenagers desperate to leave home and get away from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but Tom, for every teenager desperate to get away, are at least two people (probably Londoners) desperate to fill that gap!! Houses still selling steadily in Wales since the Pandemic . . .

      Delete
  2. We looked at a house in Dolgellau once but it was really a bit further north than we wanted to be.
    Thank you for sharing the lovely photos of the area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't even consider it because we thought it was too far north - now I wonder, should we have?!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful town, the gray weather seems very fitting. nice sideboard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll go back, but not before the brighter days of spring. Loving my new sideboard and have stashed away quite a few bits in it!

      Delete
  4. Lovely sideboard and an interesting trip to pick it up. Even on a gloomy day, the various stone buildings you photographed are so interesting. Know what you mean about driving through the countryside. One of my favorite parts of my UK visit was looking out the train window going through the west country...some of the lake district and some of the Yorkshire Moors. A separate trip up the Scottish Highlands also provided some gorgeous scenery--even in the rain. I do love an evocative landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evocative landscape - that's it perfectly Mary. Carmarthenshire was a beautiful county to live in but there is something wonderfully wild about Powys that speaks to me much more. Snowdonia is something else again!

      Glad you remember your travels in the UK. You went to some lovely areas.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful waterfall!! I love the large stones that were used in the buildings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biggest I've seen for a while, that one. You can't blame them building with big blocks - some hefty guys and the house walls are soon up!

      Delete
  6. I've never seen 'steps' up against the chimney like that before -- did wonder if it was more to do with making it easier during construction to get up to the final height for the builders?? No idea, will watch with interest :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure my dear. I know we had "kick out" bits of slate put on over windows and at the edge of the chimney on our old house, to keep the water off the chimney and walls, so I imagine it is something along those same lines. They get a LOT of rain up there.

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see Dolgellau again, we haven't been there for a few years. Your pictures are superb as usual. Really envy your sideboard - really worth the trip.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a sweet little town. We're planning to go back in the summer and explore the area a bit more.

    The sideboard fits perfectly and I have all my baking ingredients in there now. I remember Dolgellau (and backing up that narrow street!) every time I look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures make me want to go there. I stayed at Dolgellau Youth Hostel many years ago, when I was in my twenties I think. It was a YHA holiday. they called it Wild Wales. We walked for a week, hostel to hostel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad they have inspired you - I should wait until April onwards though - we can have some wickedly wet winter weather! Wild Wales it still is. You could still have done the youth hostelling, until Covid came along too. I hope you will head this way as the walking is 2nd to none and the scenery just amazing.

      Delete