Sunday 14 November 2021

It'll do . . .

 I know, not exactly an exciting blog title is it, but it's a statement of fact, and actually I am delighted with my latest Facebook Marketplace purchase.  This one was closer to home, being about 50 minutes' driving away at Newtown.  Tam said it wasn't big enough, but short of buying something twice its size (which we couldn't lift, let alone get up the stairs!), this would have to do.




Well, not the best photo - you can hardly see it! but it's got a double cupboard on one side, and a separate single cupboard (where I've put all my family history notes etc) and three useful drawers above.  I have stowed away a lot more than I expected inside it (sewing things), but did manage to put some bits of material and what have you away in a small coffer yesterday when I was going through things.  Before it looked a mess as it was all stored on open pine shelving (there used to be a linen cover on it when G used it for storage).  I took that all apart this morning and flat-packed it.  I also rehomed the small amount of things in a Very Large Moving Box (labelled Tamzin!) and so we are also one box less in the pink bedroom, but it's still a mess and I wish I could wave a magic wand but T won't let me put any of her "stuff" which is in there up in the attic.  The eyesore which is a giant box of "useful boxes" particularly irritates me  . . . but she needs it to hand for posting things . . .


The remains of the cupboard, a pile of curtains I really MUST list on Ebay, and three of Tam's boxes.  I have deliberately not shown the other messy end of the room!!  This room will be the next to be decorated (it desperately needs a change of colours) and we will try and somehow have a sort out of the contents.



We managed to find the pick-up place easily (I did a Google earth search first), but oh dear, getting out of Newtown again wasn't simple as the main through road has been blocked because of a crumbling to pieces Church.  I completely forgot I needed to turn left and go past Tesco's and join the by-pass.  Instead we had a complete tour of the back roads round the town and there wasn't the left turn we were hoping for.  We'd known we were heading towards Machynlleth from the position of the sun, and the map confirmed it, so we just enjoyed travelling through beautiful countryside and being spat out eventually at Caersws!


Here's some Radnorshire scenery for you, on the Rhayader road.









Another lay-by gave us these beautiful photos.



Finally, I pulled over at Gilfach Nature Reserve and took a few photos.  I'll try and get a walk in there next week if we have a sunny day. The scenery all the way was absolutely stunning and the Autumn colours the best I've seen for many many years, probably since I lived near to the New Forest.  I think a slow Autumn and different trees round here - LOTS of beeches, which are spectacular at the moment, and lots of Oaks, and hardly any Ash - Carmarthenshire has millions of Ash trees and they are late to get their leave and drop them quickly and brownly.   Enjoy.








15 comments:

  1. The autumnal countryside photos are amazing 🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou. It was SO beautiful today and of course all the very best colour and beauty were along stretches of road where I could not stop for photos. As I drove along I wished I had a video camera on the dash, to share the scenery with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scenery! LOL I have an eyesore too giant hamper stacked with useful boxes for etsy and Ebay shipping. I pride myself on reusing/ recycling. But truth is the [sewing] room would look a lot better without the boxes, even when neatly stacked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lizzy. I know, if it's not "useful boxes" it's bubblewrap, or padded envelopes . . . You do have a point, they do stick out a bit in a sewing room . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All too true! I also reuse tissue paper, carefully ironed and folded. Of *course* bubble wrap must be reused...recycling and reusing can be a bit addictive, but I feel it is worthwhile. I will put a picture on my next quilting update.

      Delete
    2. You'd feel right at home here then Lizzy, Tam has all these little bits in her "boxes" but I would like them to be out of site. Unfortunately even the "under the bed" area is already spoken for!!

      Delete
  5. The pink bedroom is coming along nicely. I am sure all the useful boxes and such will be used or perhaps find a new home soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to see if we can't reach an agreement where we go through the nearby cupboard and things which can cope with being cold (but dry) in the attic go up there and the boxes etc can go out of sight. The trouble is, everything got "bunged somewhere" after moving and has stayed there since. Time to get properly sorted although the real sort out won't happen until Tam moves out and she and Jon find a place somewhere.

      Delete
  6. Its the females not the males that accumulate 'stuff' in this household of young people. The photos are beautiful but perhaps reflect the fact that so many parts of our countryside cannot be lived in due to its hilliness and stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's horses for courses. Not the place you could grow soya beans, that's for certain! Sheep or goats. The mid-Wales railway line used to run up the valley below these rocks, and this area was a working hill-farm.

      Delete
  7. You are lucky to live in such a lovely place - imagine what the layby stops are like in some parts of the UK. I guess I am lucky too, but there is something special about hills taht even the sea doesn't quite match

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do miss the sea but it will be all the more special when we get there next. Hills and wild land have always called to me. I couldn't get to Dartmoor - much as we tried to - so this is my substitute and it keeps me happy.

    I can think of some layby stops I wouldn't linger at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely header photo too..it just says it all about this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gz. A couple of years running I had calendars made of my best photos, to send to family and friends. That one would have qualified. I always feel a pang when I take down a good header photo to replace it with another.

      Delete