Thursday 11 November 2021

In a strange place in my head and update



 (P.S.  Have added a couple more foggy photos for Tom.  Like this top one best.)


Life is not exactly cheerful for me at the moment and I  woke up yesterday draped in a blanket of mental gloom.  I have my usual worries about Keith's health, two members of my close family are terminally ill and failing, and I hate parting with big chunks of savings next week for the bathroom revamp and the new Worcester-Bosch boiler (to replace the manky cheap inefficient old boiler that came with the house).  I used to be such a spend-thrift when I was younger, and now I am guarding the small nest-egg left over from selling-up and downsizing like Smaug with his treasure.  These things are necessary spends but prices have really shot up since Covid and there is still the kitchen to do yet . . .


We need replacement lino for the bathroom and en-suite so yesterday set off to go to Newbridge-on-Wye as there was a shop there selling both.  Would you believe they shut all day on a Wednesday? I should have checked that out before we set off.  


So we drove further on to Rhayader, to visit a Builder's Merchants there who have a kitchen display.  Very impressive, and I came away with a thick glossy brochure and the sure knowledge that it would be way above our budget.  I have been looking at used kitchens  (nice ones!)  on Facebook Marketplace but getting them here is another matter of course!  Ikea it will be . . .


Of course, being just 3 miles from the Elan valley, we couldn't resist another visit, and  drove up in lowering cloud and had a short walk to take photos.  It was quite atmospheric and we were surrounded by truly beautiful autumn colouring.








The Oil Man had been in our absence and our big tank is now absolutely full and we got a good price too - 53p a litre, which compared very well with the 59p that the local bulk buy group were offering.

Little Whale once again decided he didn't need feeding - piqued by the fact we had Gone Out Again no doubt.  He came in around 5, with very muddy paws but hadn't been far away as it was when I put several downstairs lights on and called, that he came in.  I suspect he has been on the track up to the farm behind us, as that is very muddy at the moment.

I really MUST get on in our bedroom today, but have absolutely no energy or inclination.  Needs must though.  I know I will feel better for doing it.


Update:  I must have slept VERY deeply last night as Tam said she'd heard a crash - car accident? - about 1.30 a.m. and so I went out to look up and down the lane and found Next Door on the main lane had had their larch-lap fence completely taken out by someone losing control.  How they missed the road is beyond me but I am guessing they had a skinful of drink or whacky baccy or worse.

20 comments:

  1. It's a very good thing that heating oil is cheaper than diesel for the car - now just over £1.50 a litre at the nearest garage

    Hope you feel better after getting on with the bedroom today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say we aren't using much fuel at the moment, but we have had a run of necessary longer journeys! I have my eyes on a rather nice oak sideboard (which we could just get up the stairs for the Pink bedroom). That's at Newtown, so doable. I think we paid £1.49 per litre here yesterday but it seems to be pretty much the same everywhere although Tesco in Llandod is probably cheaper.

      Delete
  2. Closed on Wednesdays? That brings back memories. I love that misty hills photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a shock too - a half-day used to be Wednesdays when I was growing up. I would have thought Monday a better day to shut, personally!

      I have a couple more misty hills photos Tom, so I'll put them up for you.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes life is difficult and looks like the end of the tunnel is so far away. What I do is to turn to God and things always get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for that kind reply P. I'm not a religious person but am sending healing thoughts for my relatives and a dear friend who needs them right now.

      Delete
  4. I really do empathise- we too have serious illness in the family, a major car repair bill, and a kitchen needing a revamp. IKEA have NO sinks at the moment, so we managed to buy the tap we wanted, and find an equivalent sink online. We have only bought half a tank of oil, to top up what we had already. Enough to see us through the winter, and hopes for a price decrease next year [or at least time to save up] Our village 'oil club' is a bit hit and miss on prices too. I can identify with the Smaug-feeling, as the 'lump sum' part of the Pension Pot is carefully hoarded, and allocated for Big Expenditure which we know will happen.
    I had a very 'floppy' day yesterday, no inclination to do anything. After a slow start this morning [and a lovely letter from friends far away] I feel a little more energised. I wish the same for you - may the fog rise and the sun shine, and the bedroom become a tidy place again- both for you and for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela - sounds like we're living parallel lives at the moment. I'm scarcely daring to THINK about the kitchen revamp but at least we have a very skilled and reliable carpenter lined up for that - he did a great job on our sash windows back in the summer.

      Our Pension Pot isn't big enough to cut all the worry out about the future, hence being so careful with it and trying to add to it if we have a chance.

      Gosh, we both had "null point" days for Performance yesterday! Seeing all those beautiful colours at the Elan valley cheered me up though, and then Keith bought us a snack lunch at a pub in Rhayader - which is something we NEVER normally do!

      I have made progress with the bedroom corner too and intend to paste some plain lining paper over this afternoon to lessen some of the bumps - you should have seen how they splodged the plaster on around the sink that was there!

      Sending you sunshine and a smile.

      Delete
  5. We all know that the best things in life are free, as your trip to elan valley shows - and yet money worries are real and can even be terrifying, especially so as we get older. I worry a lot about money when deep down I know all will be well. Finding that balance between prudence and living for today is a challenge that seems constantly to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I need to eat less - think of that money that goes on the "treat" of a chocolate bar and it soon adds up!! Round my waistline too. I don't have an occupational pension, just my Old Age one and that doesn't go far.

      You're quite right though, the best things in life are free - scenery, fresh air and love.

      Delete
  6. At least you got some sleep. I love the misty photos, like a good-creepy fairy talle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't I? The last week or so I have been sleeping very much better. The misty photos are very atmospheric.

      Delete
  7. You have my sympathy for your husband's health problems and your relatives illnesses. My sister is approaching end of life now, from cancer. She is halfway across the country from me now, with her daughter and son. I will likely not see her again. It is very hard to have a loved one ill, and I hope your Keith gets a diagnosis soon and appropriate treatment so he can recover. My best to you, Celie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Celie, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Like you I am unlikely to see or be able to speak to my aunt again. I can imagine how you are feeling and send hugs to you.

    We should know something by this time next week. Just hope we're not back to square one with no diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope Keith gets treatment and a diagnosis very soon.

    I love the fog pictures so spooky.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we Jackie. The NHS is really struggling though, so we have to be patient.

      The fog pictures turned out well.

      Delete
  10. There are times in life when we have to live through grave moments, and there is nothing to make them go away. You need strength, and you have it in a beautiful area Jennie and yourself and family of course. Count those blessings and I do so hope that Keith's health will improve. Give him my love. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Thelma - and how I wish you didn't have to speak from experience. I am indeed blessed to live in such a beautiful area and can take solace from the scenery, and I have a wonderful family. Keith's health is not the best but he can still get around and we still enjoy Fairs and meeting friends, and discussing history and archaeology. I'll pass on your love. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry to hear of all your worries and I do hope Keith gets a diagnosis soon. You have so much going on at the moment with other family illnesses and the work on the house. Thinking of you.

    Your photos are lovely and very atmospheric - you do live in a wonderful area.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad to have my blogging friends for moral support. Things could be a lot worse but there do seem to be some sad things happening all at once.

      Glad you like the photos - we are blessed to live in such a beautiful place, and it brings me solace.

      Delete