Thursday 6 January 2022

Another day, another room

 I had awarded myself the day off today, as I felt I had earned it. We went to have another look at carpet at a local shop, and found one K& I both liked for the bedroom, and they will lay the bathroom lino at the same time (last day of February.)  It's a silvery grey.  We should be able to shift all the furniture in there (Tam and I) and get the old carpet up and we will dispose of that ourselves at the Tip, rather than paying for it to be taken away.

        Then it was time for more housewifely chores. No escaping them.  I had just sat down with my x-stitch (finished bar for a bit of back-stitching still to do).  I had taken ONE stitch and Tam came in to ask if I could help her with the wallpapering in her room.   Deep sigh.  

Mushroom is such an exciting colour  . . . NOT!  Wall in Tam's room.

      

        From the first drop, it wasn't straightforward as there was a socket in the way and Tam was telling me I should be doing it the way it was done (professionally) in some videos she had watched. This is not a good career move when your mother is an Aries.  Of course, she shot my new-found confidence to bits in seconds and I did it my way and screwed up, but my error has been disguised and by the time it's trimmed in the morning, should be invisible. The corner wall was "off" too, between top and bottom and I got, oh the video said to cut it the width into the corner and then line up a new piece on the next wall (NOT what I had done in our room, needless to say).  Tomorrow should be fun! We will square up on the next corner.

   


The test wall.  The blue last on the right is the colour being used (Moroccan Mint).



Not trimmed except for partly in the corner where the white levels look totally WRONG but aren't!! Tomorrow when it's dry I get can busy with the Stanley knife and get rid of the excess.  The white line is the top edge of the skirting board where it meets the wall.  The blue paint above is actually deeper than this.

The wallpaper. Sprigs of Wisteria.


        Now I have run out of the green I was using for my backstitch and will have to go through my spares for one similar.  I have also managed to mislay the X-Stitch magazine (5 or so years old) - Mary Hickmott's New Stitches - which I had been saving to sew.  There was a design called Heart of Dartmoor (Widecombe) which I think was on the cover. Can I find it here?  No.  I am gutted.  I know I kept it and even where it was in the old house.  I have found Mary Hickmott's Etsy shop where I can purchase it on-line for £9.60 but if I do that, I will of course find the magazine . . . Update - I did another search - no magazine.  I thought, sod it, life is too short NOT to buy something which you know will give you great pleasure  - one of my g.g. aunts was a schoolteacher in Victorian Widdicombe, which is why I was so keen to sew it.

I will try for a more exciting post soon . . .

    

24 comments:

  1. What fun you are having!!
    Hope you find the missing magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magazine eluded me. I treated myself to the pattern, which I managed to track down on line.

      It IS exciting getting the house more to our taste and at least I didn't have to do too much bending today!

      Delete
  2. We recently hung the same wallpaper in our hallway, and I papered the stair risers with what was left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, snap! It's very good quality paper for the money. We have carpet on the stairs here, but papering the risers is a lovely idea.

      Delete
  3. Everyone deserves a treat and that pattern will make you very happy. I really like the wisteria wallpaper. Gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to bits with it, and have an hour set aside this morning to go through my stash of threads and see how many I need. It is a given that however well-stocked you think you are, any new pattern always requires ones you haven't got!

      The Wisteria wallpaper is lovely.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Saggitarius Marlane. It takes her ages to make her mind up about anything.

      Delete
    2. LOL I thought that was LIbra of which I am one.

      Delete
  5. I love Tam's room choices. The wall paper is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely wallpaper. About that pink room, can you not buy tinted blocking primer? You can get it tinted to the color you plan to use for the finishing paint. I covered over a dark brown ceiling (yes, really, brown ceiling) with this primer before painting it white. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celie. I've not heard of tinted blocking primer. Will check this morning. Thankyou.

      A BROWN ceiling? Yuk!!

      Delete
  7. Yes. Working with one's daughter can be Fun. Mine is a Leo.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fire sign, and get on with Leo's. Tam is a Sagittarius and we rub each other up the wrong way.

      Delete
  8. Lovely wallpaper in the room :) You are working so hard of your new house!

    What a pain about the magazine. It took me ages just before Christmas to find a recipe for Stilton Stars I'd cut out of magazine and put in safe place! It took me ages to find it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh you are being very productive, it's all starting to come together now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to have it starting to come together.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you went ahead and bought the pattern. Life is too short! I love the paper you are using. I can't even imagine being able to do something that difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bought and started, and some unpicked already - DO NOT drink wine when sewing!! Papering is mostly common sense (helps to watch a few Youtube "how to's" as well, as Tam did (I didn't).

      Delete
  11. I've not put up wallpaper in decades other than the abortive attempt to do one wall in the farmhouse pantry. Earlier efforts were in old houses where walls had apparently settled out of plumb. I did once try to wallpaper with J. helping--he had no notion of matching patterns.
    Renovating and redecorating is expensive and exhausting--you deserve a quiet break with patterns and threads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonkey walls are the wallpaper's nightmare, and living in old houses, that is what you get! Keith can't be bothered, hence I get lumbered. The sewing has relaxed me nicely.

      Delete
  12. That color and the wallpaper look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete