Sunday 2 January 2022

Lorna Doone - and whatever happened to bathcubes?

 


I got my walk in early today and then Keith and I got the paper and had another shorter walk to stretch his legs.  I was aching from painting yesterday, and also from barrowing the contents of a large planter, the flowers of which might be dangerous to cats, so it got pushed under the paddock fence and down the bank into our rough bit of woodland. Another will follow it when my back has stopped complaining!

    Tam has gone to her boyfriend's, so I sat down with my x-stitch, and found out that Lorna Doone was showing again.  It was a repeat of the BBC drama from a few years back (we have the DVD too, and have watched it several times.  Quite my favourite film.) I'd missed the first half but thoroughly enjoyed the story, and the romance, and the music.  It was a book from my childhood (Collins version)  and I can remember buying the Ladybird book of Lorna Doone for Tam when she was 4 years old and she loved me to read it, especially the part where Jan Ridd tumbles down the waterfall. I used to have this as a story cassette too which I listened to as I do the ironing. R D Blackmore based the story on real life. In the Dartmoor village of Chagford, Mary Whiddon was married at the church of St Michael's on 11th October 1641. There is a memorial to her inside, stating that she "died a matron, yet a maid". Legend has it that she was shot (by a jealous lover?) as she left the church.  She was buried in the churchyard with the following epitaph:

Reader, would'st though know who here is laid,

Behold a matron, yet a maid

A modest look, a pious heart

A Mary for the better part

But dry thine eyes, why wilt thou weep

Such damselles do not die, but sleep.

Modern brides often lay a flower from their wedding bouquet on her tomb after signing the register.

Below is a photo of St Michael's from a post I did years ago.


Indeed, I was thinking of where I bought my childhood copy of Lorna Doone this morning, after two words set me off down memory lane: "Paraffin heater". Keith and I were discussing how we kept warm in our homes as children. For us both it was an open coal fire in the sitting room, and a paraffin heater somewhere else in the house. In our case, it was in the scullery (mum never called it the kitchen), and this was carried upstairs (unlit of course) to the bathroom once a week to bring the temperature to something a little above semi-freezing for the weekly bathnight. I only have to catch a whiff of paraffin to be transported back 50 years to the house where I grew up, or else to the local ironmongers, which sold the "pink" paraffin we used. Beauchops it was called, the shop that is, and it was separated into two parts. The smaller side sold a few balls of wool (but could order it in requisite amounts for jumpers or cardigans), soap, talcum powder, bath cubes (whatever happened to those?),  eau de toilette (I remember 4711) . . . toilet rolls, hair nets, hair grips, brushes and combs, compacts and pressed powder and powder puffs, dressing table sets (another rarity these days), and, to part me from my pocket money on occasion, it had a shelf-full of the Collins sets of childrens' classics. 


I can remember going in to the shop and asking to buy a book with horses in. Black Beauty was an instant hit, and Children of the New Forest. Then the shop keeper began to get desperate and in this way I read my way through almost all the children's classics including Lorna Doone (still a favourite with me and I think of the strawberry roan Winnie, who was outlaw Tom Fagus' mare, who, when ridden by Jan Ridd as a lad, jumped him back and forth over the farm gate); Last of the Mohicans (lots of horses but never mentioned by name and even rarely by colour); Heidi - very disappointing - I think just one horse got briefly mentioned in passing but I loved the story and wanted to live in a hay loft like she did; Little Women (I think there may have been a horse pulling a sleigh, once but I loved the film and the book and wanted to look like June Alysson for years); Hans Anderson's Fairy Tales (hrmphh but good stories); and Swiss Family Robinson, where I had to be content with Grizzle the donkey - until the snake ate it! 


In the other side of the shop, you instantly became aware that it wasn't the feminine knitting and nice-smelling side, because the overwhelming perfume was paraffin. I can remember inhaling deeply. The smell never changed. I wouldn't mind betting that if you walked back in there (although it is a small Tesco now, sigh) you would still catch a little stray whiff of paraffin. Where the aisles of bakery goods and cereals are now, once there would have been lengths of that wonderfully slightly-stretchy plastic covered wire which held net curtains up, and the hooks and eyes that fastened it. Trays of nails and screws of every dimension and length, glue, ladders, picture hooks, cutlery drawer dividers, enamelled plates, pie dishes and mugs for the kitchen, tin openers, rubber things with a slit cut in them to take the thrust end of a teatowel, dustbins and stepladders, tin baths and buckets, string and twine, packets of seeds and spring bulbs. It is long-gone now of course, except in my memory, where it is like yesterday . . .

31 comments:

  1. After an unexpectedly difficultly December - as much logistical as anything - I'm finally catching up on some of favourite blogs to wish their authors a happy new year and say thanks for reading and commenting on mine. I hope next year brings us better times and plenty of words (and pictures) to inspire and entertain.
    Best wishes
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO GLAD today to have the light back in the living room, after finally heaving the balding C/tree out of the French windows. Whilst it's in residence, the curtains stay pulled behind it. I was really suffering from lack of daylight. I want to get straight too and am going to get in touch with my old Uni and see if they will take a goodly percentage of my archaeology books.

      I'm still chasing my tail over blogs as well. I will gratefully receive any words my brain wants to send me - have been in a bit of an anxiety fog in recent months and inspiration has sunk to an all time low. Have a wonderful New Year Mark.

      Delete
  2. I still have my book Children of the New Forest, it was always one of my favourites.It was a 'Regent Classic ' but I can't find a date,it would have been early sixties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was also from the 60s. I can't see today's children reading books like that though. I suspect there i about to be a new generation of Woke Books for Children on the way.

      Delete
    2. Actually, the children's classics still sell rather well, usually as Wordsworth Classics paperbacks - Peter Pan, Alice, Wind in the Willows, that sort of thing (Not Lorna Doone, though, that I've noticed). And there's also room for a new generation of books from differing points of view, some of which may become the classics of tomorrow.
      I also read the Regent Classics - of course, they were abridged from the originals, so the boring bits had been edited out.

      Delete
  3. What a coincidence! I was talking with my daughter yesterday about how adaptable kids are and how lockdown will be probably remembered with nostalgia in years to come by those whose parents didn't pass on their own stress and treated it as an adventure. Both myself and my husband remember the dark days of the 70's in that way. Our parents must have been worried sick by the 3 day week and rolling power cuts, plus shortages in the shops, endless strikes etc, yet we both remember the fun of all huddling together in one bed to keep warm, playing board games by candlelight and the distinctive smell of paraffin, which was oddly comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childrenare very adaptable. I think their memories of Lockdown will certainly vary - the children who used to live in the cottage next door to us in our new home, had a mum who really struggled with teaching them anything and when they came out to play, oh my gosh, all that pent up energy and frustration! I must be a decade or two older than you Tracy as I was a barmaid during the 1970s power cuts and can remember pulling pints by the light of a candle and trying to dodge the Landlord's wandering hands! It sounds like you had a good childhood and great parents.

      Delete
  4. Black Beauty still makes me cry.

    Bath Bombs replaced bath cubes. Here in Canada, at least in my area, we rarely see Yardley or Bromley products. I miss the smells of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - poor Ginger . . .

      Of course, bath bombs are the new bath cubes but they could easily be much smaller! I suppose Yardley or Bromley were from that age.. Now the gorgeous soaps my kids give me at Christmas are the big reduced-price-in-TK-Maxx Italian ones.

      A smell can suddenly take you back in time can't it?

      Delete
  5. A 'general store' in the rural New England village of my childhood was much as you describe. Ladies' toiletry articles were kept in a glass fronted case with home remedies such as aspirin and cough syrup on a shelf behind. A few aisles over was a small selection of basic socks, underwear, 'house dresses' and men's work shirts--then on to a collection of rubber boots and overshoes. The middle was given over to small farming implements, items for household and farm repair. Another section of the store with the shelves running perpendicularly to the household/farm stocks held foodstuff--again very basic--I doubt one could have concocted a gourmet meal from what was on offer.
    Lorna Doone: Somehow I missed reading this, but have a vague recall of a film version which I found too sugary and melodramatic. I don't particularly like reading 'dialect' although I don't have a problem deciphering--it simply becomes a bit tedious. Years ago I seldom missed an episode of The Archers on CBC radio and quite enjoyed the different accents of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A definite His and Hers layout then. As I lived on the edge of a city, no farming anything in our shop. I'm trying to remember if Beauchops did any socks and frillies, but I don't think so. No foods or even sweets. We had to go to the little food shop on the end for those.


      https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259786/mediaviewer/rm4293434880/ Is the version of Lorna Doone we love best. It's a book well worth reading, although Blackmore's language is of its period. Like many books/films, good versus evil and good guy gets the girl!

      Delete
  6. Happy new year to you! Many of the books you mentioned I also read as a child. I loved Lorna Done and Swiss Family Robinson. My books were passed down through several older siblings, my closest sister had the bad habit of scribbling in them with crayon which really annoyed me! Thankfully she grew out of that, although my other siblings and I never let her forget! Sadly she passed away in November. Our winter home in town was heated by a coal furnace, enclosed, which my parents would hand shovel coal into. Oddly it was in the kitchen, and I recall mother getting so fed up over the coal dust! In summer we'd live in the country, no heat there though it got cold at night. Sorry, I've digressed to childhood! Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy for you to digress into childhood Celie. That's where our clearest memories are. I think coal dust was the bane of many a housewife. That and wet Mondays, when the week's washing was done. In our case, in a "copper" in the corner of the kitchen.

      Delete
  7. Oh how a scent can transport you back eh, that was a wonderful post. And you brought back a deep, deep memory for me I remember pondering for days how the snake had managed to eat a donkey in Swiss Family Robinson, it seemed both gory and absolutely fascinating to me as a small child.

    Bath cubes have turned into 'bath bombs' ... at at least five times the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the fascinated but horrified end of poor Grizzle!

      I have been given bath-bombs for Christmas presents but they are gathering dust as we have only just (last month) got our new bathroom fitted with a bath that doesn't feel like sandpaper to sit in!

      Delete
  8. I hated bath cubes! Mum would let me use one of hers "as a special treat" (I suspect she didn't like them either) and I always found I was sitting on bits of gritty, un dissolved bath cube! Bubble bath was much more my cup of tea, and I would give myself a "beard" of foam. I used to get given quite a lot of bathing products when I was a teacher - a useful gift "For Teacher". They would almost always get re-gifted as I find I react badly to most stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dormouse - yes, I remember the undissolved gritty bits too! Oh gosh, and to get gifted so many bathing products which you couldn't use - not much fun. I can't walk into Lush without my nose running, so avoid it these days. Not too difficult as I think our nearest is probably Carmarthen, over 50 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think bath cubes were replaced with the much more expensive and eminently more dramatic bath bombs.
    4711 was my Nanna's favourite, she always carried a small bottle in her handbag. I still have one of her bottles, unopened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RP - indeed. Not something I would buy but am sometimes gifted. Lovely that you still have some of your nanna's 4711.

      Delete
  11. Your words remind me of Laura Wilder's words at the end of her tale about the Big Woods. “She thought to herself, "This is now." She was glad that the cozy house, and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago.” Even as a child reading the stories for the first time, that struck me in a wondrous way. I was reading a book from long ago, but for someone, it had been now. And I looked at all my 'nows' and wondered what it would be like to look at them again as 'a long time ago'. The words struck me so that I remember them still, all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a concept - This is NOW - I tried to capture as a child, and failed. As you get older I think you appreciate things more as they are happening and becoming memories and know true happiness as you experience it. My childhood seems like yesterday, so clear still.

      Delete
  12. And I have here a miniature bottle of 4711 eau de cologne, one of a box of about ten that my parents brought back from Germany for me - must be 40 years ago.
    Wishing you all health and happiness for 2022. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beacee - 4711 must be a pretty rare thing these days. All the best for 2022.

      Delete
  13. What lovely memories. Once you mentioned the bath cubes I remembered my Mom using them when she would bathe before going out to a party.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we only ever had them at Christmas as a present. Money was tight, so they would have been considered an extravagance.

      Delete
  14. I loved this post, so many memories for me too. I remember bath cubes and the grittiness that you had in the bottom of the bath. I seem to remember that we were really excited to find a box of them that were under the bath when my dad took the panel off the side one time, goodness knows how long they had been there but we tried one out and they seemed fine!

    Your description of the shop is like some of those that you find round here still. Have you ever been to Bunners in Montgomery? I am not sure if it is still there but it is just like the shop you have described. A treasure trove of a shop, a real warren.

    I read all the clasaics to my oldest child, he loved Children of the New Forest in particular but we have read many other besides. I am reading them all again now to my youngest. There are some good authors around now but the Classics are the best, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Montgomery is on my list of places for a day out - we drove through it when we were househunting, during Covid, so there were only a couple of stalls on the Marketplace on the Friday we were there. I imagine it's a bigger market normally. I will look out for Bunners when we do go.

      Glad your children have enjoyed the Classics too - I couldn't abide Enid Blyton! (No ponies for starters!) but when I read The Castle of Adventure, The Island of Adventure etc to my kids they weren't so bad.

      Delete
  15. Your evocative post reminds me of so much about living in the UK in the 1950s/60s. We also had coal fire in the sitting room, an Aga toasting up the kitchen and a parafin heater (yes, that smell!) in the main foyer which was right below the upstairs landing where all the bedrooms were located. Big, thick eiderdowns on the beds kept you warm in the winter, but oh how freezing it was to get up in the morning and put your feet on the floor. My mother would warm our clothes on a rack by the Aga and we would race to the kitchen to get dressed. Never forget the bitterly cold bathroom where the curtains would freeze to the window in the worst weather. Brrrr.

    Had a taste of a cold bathroom yesterday...we had major snowstorm (38cm), lost power for 26 hours and temps dropped to -10c overnight. Was finally able to warm up the main rooms of the house by firing up the wood stove. A bit of a change from Saturday temps when it was 18c. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to keep our clothes spread over the bed so they weren't quite so icy to put on in the morning!

      Hope you didn't have any more big snowstorms.

      Delete
  16. A lovely post about the past - it brought back some memories. I remember coal fires from my childhood before the days of central heating and we had a paraffin heater in the bathroom of our current house just after we got married as no central heating!

    So enjoyed reading about Lorna Doone - it is years since I read the book. I remember bath cubes too but must admit these days I never use the bath only the shower - so much quicker and easier to get in and out of!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember with the coal fire, your front was warm but there were wicked draughts around the back of you!

      I am tempted to read Lorna Doone yet again now. Then I look at the piles of books yet to be read . . .

      Delete