Monday 17 January 2022

Through the mountains and on to the edge of the world

 

We couldn't have wished for nicer weather today - clear blue skies, but shivery-cold at home this morning, where we had quite a hard frost.  Tam needed to go to see her boyfriend J in Aberystwyth, but her car was going in for repair today, so she dropped it off early and we drove her to Aber.  I couldn't stop in the Cambrian Mountains to take views as there weren't lay-byes where the best views were and the valley bottoms were dark and chill still.


Anyway, we managed to get some sea air, and a bite to eat, and parked down on the South Beach and enjoyed being by the sea again.  The houses were all painted bright cheerful colours and who can blame them?  In the background is the remains of Aberystwyth Castle.




It was actually really warm by the sea (though it had been very cold first thing, J told us).  K was not at his most energetic, so sat in the car, soaking up the sun and the sea view, whilst Tam and I had a walk up to the end of the Prom and I took photos.




HERE is a link to the castle history. Any stone castles usually replace earlier ones made from wood and Aberystwyth was no exception.  Built by Edward 1 in 1277, and part of a circle of castles - others being Rhuddlan, Flint and our own Builth castle, Aberystwyth was an example of a concentric castle - walls within walls - to protect the soldiers holding the castle safely as they could hold it against any attack as they would be firing down on men in a killing zone. It was diamond-shaped with towers in the corners.  Sadly, not much of the castle remains so on the ground it is hard to understand just how strong and important it was in its hayday.



The gracile lighthouse stands at the Southern end of the promenade.



We spotted 4 of these amongst the seaweed on the beach, searching for something edible.  I think they are Rock Pipits.  Apparently their numbers are swollen during the winter months with visitors from Norway.


This is the rocky hill to the south of the town - think it is Pen Dinas Hill fort.


16 comments:

  1. Aber is a nice place to be. My daughter works there and lives about 5 miles north

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seagulls have a good vocation there! I expect your daughter gets her share of sea air then.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure that bird is a Rock Pipit they don't have orange legs. Is it a Turnstone, that is a guess as I cannot see the beak clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, will have to ask my birding friend. Turnstones have more white on their tummies/necks I think. I'm better with wildflowers - not good on seabirds.

      Delete
  3. The colours of the houses reminds me so much of one of the places we visited in Nova Scotia. So cheering on a cold day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland is cheerier still - they use really bright colour combinations. I agree, much nicer to have colour than just plain grey. Cannot understand the rage for dark grey rooms/furniture/houses - SO depressing.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing these photos! What lovely towns and amazing forts that have stood the test of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Ann. I just wish I could have had a video running of the journey there, and the beautiful scenery up in the mountains.

      Delete
  5. What lovely photos thanks so much for sharing. Love the castle :)

    I am reading a super Logaston Press book at the moment called on The Trail of the Mortimers which is SO interesting. Different area I know as its about the Welsh Borders but it is stuffed with lots of information and even better suggestions of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just gone and put that book on my wish list, thank you for the heads up. I hope you get to Aberystwyth on a day out sometime.

      Delete
  6. Love your new header image :)
    You look to have had a lovely day out - there something quite restorative in sea air x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about restorative. I couldn't sleep last night! My fault for looking at family history notes at bedtime - my head was going round and round then.

      Delete
  7. I've been pondering on your shoreline bird. I think it may possibly be a Purple Sandpiper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a possible. I will have to ask my Birding friend.

      Delete
  8. Bracing but cold the weather looks like. It must be quite brave of the very first person to paint their house a different colour, then everyone joins in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been really cold first thing, but the sun was out and it was actually quite warm on the front.

      Yes, I wonder who started with the sherbet colours?

      Delete