Saturday 19 March 2022

A difficult few days


Well it looks like spring is here properly, with Celandines out along the lanes (at last - much later than last year) and the first Hawthorn leaves unfolding along the hedgerows.  Whilst today is sunny and was warm first thing, there is a very cold and pretty strong wind blowing which takes the edge off enjoying the sunshine.  I have managed some clearing in the garden as my 3 rambler roses have arrived and are currently sitting in a large tub of water.  I've been clearing the overgrown-with-ivy bare area behind the pond, as that is where the white Rambling Rector will be planted.

    I have bitten the bullet and got in touch with the gardener who worked for the previous owner, and have him lined up to come and do some of the heavy jobs I can't do.  Plus mowing the lawn when I can't get out there because of heat and/or pollen.

    After having to pay the plumber last week to put the new bulb in the UV system, I have had to buy a fresh one (having realized that the one he fitted was the one we took out last year and hadn't recycled) and then go back again because the system still wasn't working.  The controller was faulty but replaced under warranty and I then had to put the new one back on the wall and install the new bulb (which is the job I'd been trying to avoid all along as it's so fiddly and with a wooden clothes drier above it, the £73 bulb is easily knocked/broken!  Anyway, it is done now and at least I can do it again next year.  Only trouble then is that the glass liner will also have to be replaced then and that breaks VERY easily.    

    Then the week got very upsetting, as unfortunately my friend P has had great sadness as her lovely old grey horse had a fatal colic this week and had to be pts.  I had noticed he was laying down a lot and contacted P, who got the vet to come. Sadly, he didn't get better.  She is devastated of course, and I am sad as I had gotten fond of him in the time I'd known him.

    

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was good that you were able to help the horse in its last moments, as it could have been in pain for a long time before help came.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I noticed him during the day and P called the vet out. Painkiller helped but didn't totally remove pain and he had minor colicking into the night. P stayed here on our sofa so she could go out and check regularly. Around 4 a.m. the vet said they could do no more - melanomas in the gut causing blockage.

      Delete
  3. In one house where I lived I used to curse those celandine but now older and 3 houses on I see them here in the grass and they're so pretty.. little sunny faces looking at me! sounds as though you have some heavy gardening to do, so yes, get in a gardener. My husband wanted to cut the hedges here but all the way round and 8ft high so we pay someone to trim them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been in a lot of pain with my hips and gardening (stooping and bending) is just the worst thing for it at the moment. Once the heavy jobs are done it's easier for me to cope with it. I may need him to help me with the overgrown membrane that's down on the bank though. I think it will be money well spent.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to read that your friend lost her horse due to colic.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did all she could but he had tumours in gut (grey horses tend to get melanomas).

      Delete
  5. Seems like you have torrid times with plumbers as well. Garden take up a lot of time I must admit. Look forward to where you visit. I should be down that way for a couple of days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, did we - one told us to buy the bathroom suite we liked, and he'd be back in 6 weeks. We never saw him again (wouldn't answer phone to us) and then had to wait 4 months for another plumber to fit us in.

      Hope that the weather lasts for when you come down.

      Delete
  6. How sad to lose such a magnificent animal, so glad that you were able to help. Good plan getting in a gardener to help with jobs that you are unable to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very beautiful and such a gentleman. I used to take him carrots and P made him "mind his manners" and step back rather than mobbing me!

      The gardener is a must- every bit of me aches and I only did a couple of hours out there yesterday. Before Lockdown I used to garden for 8 hours a day - old age is catching up with me.

      Delete
  7. It is always sad when an animal has to be put down, he sounds a lovely old horse. Gardening catches up with us when we get older and a gardener becomes a necessity for the heavy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a grand old boy - feeling his age though.

      As for gardening, if it wasn't for my hips giving me hell, I could crack on out there. Chiro didn't help so it must be inflamed tendons.

      Delete
  8. That made me smile when you said 'old age is catching up with me'!
    I am definitely thinking of getting in an extra pair of hands in our large garden. I have pruned lots of bushes and laid membrane and gravel in various areas to be a bit easier to manage at my age but there is still a lot to do. Also as you well know there is a lot of housework etc to do in a large 4-bedroom house - sob sob! Also you have had loads of decorating to do recently too. Trouble is that the spirit is willing, very much so in my case (and yours), but the flesh is getting weak.
    We were so sorry to hear of the death of your 4-legged friend and of your sadness for your friend P.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, HERE is your comment from yesterday! I think that bit about the spirit being willing and the flesh weak is absolutely SPOT ON Wendy!! We have 4 bedrooms here, but only one in regular use now Tam has moved out.

      I'm still so sad about B's death- I keep looking out the window to see where he is. . .

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear about your friend's horse -- melanoma are the bane of grey horses, sadly.

    I always think of the celandine as the one of the true markers of the arrival of spring...ours are only just starting go poke up through the soil. A lovely and cheerful early food for the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did a comment yesterday for this post - did it get lost?
    If it doesn't get published I will know that you didn't get it.
    I did one at Christmas which didn't seem to arrive!
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have your post today Wendy. Don't remember one from yesterday. I'll look back through my comments and see if I missed it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry - I'm working backwards through the comments and being a dozo!

      Delete