Saturday 12 March 2022

Making the most of a dry day

 Phew, that's been a busy week. We had a lovely time with my cousin and her  husband visited us on Tuesday,  but I've been sleeping badly and setting my alarm all week as I was expecting the Plumber to come - yes, the one who isn't good at communication, so I didn't know when to expect him, especially as he said he would be here Monday or Tuesday first thing - then no show. I was relying on him to replace the water filter, and then change the UV water bulb. (Can't do the former job as not strong enough to turn the stop cock off or on).  I made sure I had a couple of the water filters in, but was convinced that the glass UV water bulb I could see on top of the cupboard was the new one we bought as a spare last year.  Imagine my horror when the Plumber turned up on Thursday morning, fitted it (oh dear, I had to look away, hairy bums NOT a good view before breakfast - or any time of day come to that!) and then the system wasn't working!  I had to pay him his £40 and say goodbye with the knowledge that we were now stuck with the very job I was desperate to avoid.  Keith and I had a big falling out after he said he thought I knew that he and Tam had changed the bulb last year.  If I had remembered that, surely I would have bought a new one when I was buying I was getting the filters?  Oooh, I was SO ANGRY.  £40 for nothing and still the job I was trying to avoid to be done.  Anyway, we had to go and get the replacement (£73 please) and Tam is going to fit it when she comes on Tuesday (when our son Danny will be here too).  Mind you, the chap at the shop showed me how to do it so I have a bit more confidence now, as no water needs to be turned off and I had a practice so know how to do it now.




I have been wanting a good walk all week, but life and the weather have got in the way.  Today the weather was kinder and after Keith had had a short walk on the flat in town, off I went, setting my sights slightly further afield and did the 3 mile circular walk from the house, across the fields.  It's a route I've shared before but I tried to take photos from different angles.


The sun was fickle and didn't last long but at least it was dry.



The bark on this tree looked almost reptilian .  Still trying to work out the species - the branches looked quite like a birch but of course younger trees have smooth papery light coloured bark. So, this is a lot more elderly, but a Silver Birch nevertheless.




An alternative round-the-block walk passing this farm goes through fields, across a stream, and up a currently-passable trackway which will be knee-deep in nettles in a few weeks, so impassable by May.






At the church I had a wander round the churchyard, and was hoping to get in as I had been told where the key was but alas, it was not there and a stout padlock stopped entry.

    Tomorrow the weather is set to be fairly miserable I believe, so I shall be sewing the little child's memory quilt.


13 comments:

  1. the second photo of the tree with fascinating bark looks very Andy Goldsworthy, like a wall floating across the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look quite curious. I was just experimenting with the camera trying to get more than a boring upright take on it. I thought, who the heck is Andy Goldsworthy, but then I Googled him and yes, I know his work, just the name didn't click (but I have just this moment woken up from a deep sleep on the sofa.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dear sorry to hear the place was locked. You could try phoning the churchwarden and asking if they can open it

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need to publish this but check this website out https://www.builthgroup.org.uk/st-davids-maesmynis and try phoning one of the numbers. I think the lady who I talked to at the church is Judith she is the churchwarden. She was the one who knew who I was

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was Judith who I met at the local history society recently, when I was doing some note-taking. Thanks for the link. I could always go to Church - think there's a service today!

      Delete
    2. Judith Hurford is her name, she knows me from a website called Geograph though I did tell her about blog I write as well.

      Delete
  5. Why is it that plumbers all seem to show a bit more of their backsides than is appropriate?

    Your tree pictures are so different. I love them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just plumbers - all workmen seem to have low-slung jeans. Yuk!

      Glad you liked the photos.

      Delete
  6. Your walks always look enticing. I miss the trails in pastures and woods that I still think of as 'home [Vermont] but I suspect that many have grown up to brush and saplings in the years since cattle are no longer pastured there. No safe expanse of 'verge' to the narrow twisting roadways here, so I can only plod round and round the meadow and lane--but not until the dump of wet snow has gone.
    Don't know how we would manage if the collective men of the family couldn't undertake [with muttered cursing] the plumbing and repair jobs that present even in a new house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were in my thoughts yesterday and during today's walk too, and I was thinking how you must miss being able to go out for a safe walk. Not many verges on the lanes locally either - I usually wear my bright red jacket and back into the hedge if I hear a car coming.

      Keith used to do all this but now has no strength or dexterity at all in his right hand so such jobs are impossible for him to undertake. Tam did have her uses when in residence! She is at least going to be here on Tuesday, along with Danny and I shall set them to work.

      Delete
  7. Apparently the backside display isn't just an American thing:). Your tree photos are very well done. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is probably world-wide Celie! Glad you like the tree photos. Another one today too.

      Delete