Saturday 26 March 2022

Busy in the garden

 


I now have a gardener.  He is the chap who used to work here for the last owner.  There are certain heavy jobs I just cannot do, and giving the Rhododendron a trim was one of them.  He took about four feet off the top for me.  It took him 5 hours, including all the tidying away of branches, but was money well spent.  This cost us £80 - the "quote" I had from the rip-off gardening chap last year was just short of £400!!!!!  (That's a "widowed pensioner on her own rip-off price" - he didn't see Keith and thought I was on my own.  He gave a similar rip-off price to my friend P, saying it would be 3 days' work to replace a tiny bit of wall.  When she said she'd thought about it and reckoned that the job could be done in less time he suddenly had a rethink and dropped the price.)  HE won't be darkening our doors again.


  The gloomy area behind the pond is very much still a work in progress. I have cleared some of the ivy, removed yet more membrane, and planted one of the rambler roses I bought recently. This one is the white Rambling Rector which will grow up and through the boring conifers.  It will tolerate shade - this area doesn't get the sun the whole day.  I also planted another rambler, Violette, by the low fence below the other Rhododendron.  Easy digging as no bits of house there! I have two more to go, but they will have to go in temporary homes (potato planting bags from last year).  One's to go out the front, but I've only just started clearing the area, plus there are two Sycamores to be dropped later in the year, so I may not plant until they're out of the way.  An early birthday present from my son has also arrived, a climbing rose called Malvern Hills.  I realized when I got back from the garden centre that I had a large enough ceramic planter, but couldn't use it until the tulips I'd planted in it have flowered.


There are lots of Primroses blooming.  These are in what used to be veg plots, but will have the surrounds moved elsewhere and Perennials planted.


One of the shrubs in the garden.  Don't know which one it is (not a shrub person really), but it is hefty and has big leaves!


This is the pear tree I  planted last year, nicely established now. I have two pears, two plums, 4 wild Crab Apples, and about 10 apple trees up in the orchard now.


I went to the Garden Centre yesterday, to check out prices on ceramic planters. Lots were "half price" - well, I couldn't afford to spend £45  - £60 for "half price" ones, let alone when they had been the full whack!  So I just treated myself to a couple of plants instead.  This beautiful electric blue Pulmonaria, and below,  a little blue and white Aubrieta for the Bank. 



I'll be out in the garden again today.  I have to make the most of this lovely weather as apparently a cold spell is due to arrive next week. 


P.S.  Keep all your fingers crossed, but Keith has a little bit of energy so we are hoping that the Levothyroxine is finally kicking in - he walked across the kitchen and back about 10 times last evening, holding a walking stick for confidence  but didn't need it - and with no dragging his foot or tiny shuffling dolly steps.  I cannot begin to express the relief I felt.  Let's hope it continues . . .


24 comments:

  1. It's coming along nicely and you've soon got your orchard planted - lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's very much a work in progress but this year I hope to get on top of it properly, with Ian the gardener to do the things which are beyond me now.

      Delete
  2. Good to have someone who knows the garden and is willing to work with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's a lovely quiet chap and just gets on with it.

      Delete
  3. I can't remember if you have a Morrisons near you, but they have nice ceramic pots at the moment for under £10 - I'm off to get a couple this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's one in Brecon Devon Mum, so when we are there again I shall see what they have. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. That is a Tree Peony - it looks pretty robust so is possibly Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii which has wonderful bright sunshine yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - it hasn't flowered yet and won't this year as it was cut back when we arrived, and I did the same, not knowing what it was. CLOT. I should have known, as all the spring flowering shrubs had been cut back when they shouldn't have been. Thank you. I shan't do it again.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry - I think that it will flower for you this year. We hard cut ours back every year as otherwise they grow too large.

      Delete
    3. It has soft tips to the branches which go to "glue" when frosted, so I imagine it has to be trimmed a bit to get rid of those (which is what I did). Thanks for your advice.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Rosemary - my first thought was Tree Peony. Give it a darn good mulch and think of this (flowerless) season as a fallow year when the plant can concentrate on building itself up. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne. I have first dibs on a well-rotted stable muck-heap but it is several 100 yds each way - great fun for me and my wheelbarrow!

      Delete
  6. Well done to Keith and I hope he improves and improves. Glad you found a reasonable gardener to help with the garden. I enjoy the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He went for a short walk today Marjorie - don't want to overdo things, but he wasn't dragging his foot or shuffling any more. Onwards and upwards I hope. The gardener knows this garden too - although he said he never had to plant anything so digging a hole most places would come as a SHOCK!

      Delete
  7. Your garden is coming together nicely. I am glad that you found the gardener that is just right for you (and not the rip off gardener).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roses I've planted are the things I most look forward to flowering -they are so beautiful. I have 4 new ones and I gave Tam a list to choose from, so there will be another.

      Delete
  8. We have rip off merchants too, who doesn't? Only trouble is, it puts more demand on the reasonably priced chaps. I'm slowly doing away with pots, too much like hard work watering, and it's so dry now I fear a hosepipe ban looming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, getting hold of the reasonably-priced chaps is difficult. We had a good selection of workmen back in Carmarthenshire - here they're like gold-dust! We have our own water supply, so no hose-pipe ban for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad news that Keith is getting a little better. I think I shall garden through your efforts, watching the roses come to fruition. Church House has gone on the market at an extraordinary price I hope the boys were not being too greedy, it makes me sad of course and can only hope someone will cherish my roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a bit hit and miss, one day better and the next tired out again, but hopefully it will all fall into place. The roses fill me with joy. Can't wait to see the latest in flower.

      House prices are crazy now - Lord knows what Ynyswen would be priced at now! I think this house has gone up 12% or so since we bought it. But then, so has everywhere else!

      Delete
  11. I wondered if your shrub was a tree peony and I see others think the same :)
    Glad Keith seems to have turned a corner - such a relief for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it flowers this year, then I'll know for sure.

      Keith's still better some days than others but I think we will find when he has his fasting blood test that his thyroid levels are still low. The latest one was after he'd taken his medication for the day.

      Delete
  12. Forgot to post when I saw this the other day. Gardens take some work but you have to start somewhere so it is a case of picking a point and going from there doing a part at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah - I have 30 something bits I could start on but currently working at the back of the pond which is boring beyond belief - ivy only!

      Delete