Thursday 17 March 2022

Progress in the garden

I took full advantage of having No. 1 son staying overnight and asked for some help in the garden.  Here is the new path across the orchard and no way could I have done this on my own inside a 6 mth!  Path is cardboard box base, then good membrane and then barrowload after barrowload of chippings from the overly deep laid driveway.  He took about a foot of chippings off one side so vehicles shouldn't struggle reversing out now.  I need to get some lengths of wood to edge this and keep the chippings in place.


A little bit of the orchard.  I have a dozen fruit trees planted now.


Turf off the strip where the raspberries are about to be planted.  I will dig it over and put some of next door's muck heap on it and edge the strip with some of the many bits of roof tile which are about the place.


Ahem, a work in progress.  This is not just grass, wild strawberries and moss (and plantings in same) this is 15 year old useless membrane with all that growing on and through it and it's a devil to remove!


One of last year's plantings, this little Primula is so pretty.

    Tam was also here overnight and we had a bottle of Prosecco and an Indian takeaway to celebrate her new job (she starts today as an Archivist) and having been picked (from 50 applicants) for a fabulous flat in a big Victorian house overlooking the sea, AND it has a garden with veg plots which the owner wanted utilised.  Tam can't wait to oblige!

    We went to the Garden Centre yesterday.  I was good and mostly just got what I went for - some more bark chips to go on the bank as I clear it, a sack of sheep's wool compost I wanted to try out for plants in tubs, and a new and larger cat litter tray.  Having left Big Black Sam at our old house (new occupants took on the 3 outside cats for us) there is Big Black Sam mark II around the garden here - a feral tom - and his presence stops the cats going out at night for ablutions, so the bigger tray a necessity.  Oh, and I may have bought 3 double Hollyhocks. Red, maroon and yellow.

    I was up early yesterday and outside gardening.  There is a remnant of an earlier and very aged shrub hedge in front of part of the holly hedge, and I can do without it, so I began cutting it down yesterday.  Getting the roots up should be fun as it's probably been there more than 50 years! In its place, once it's all dug over, is going to be a rambler rose (probably Vilette which is on its way now, along with some others).  I will put some perennials to form a proper bed out there too.  Keith is muttering "high maintenance garden" behind my back!

    At some point this week I need to really gird my loins and bring up some of the oldest muck-heap.  Danny would have done it but wanted to do it all the same day (and not yesterday morning) and I was too tired on Tuesday afternoon after I gave the lawn the first cut of the year.  So it's down to me.  I have several roses to plant in the next couple of weeks as I asked for roses for my birthday.  Danny is buying me Malvern Hills, a yellow climber from David Austin.  Tam has a short list of 6 to choose from.

    Right, let's look forward to the heat-wave heading our way.  Meanwhile, another two afternoons of the Cheltenham Festival, so afternoons will be spent watching the best Steeplechasers and Hurdlers in the business, whilst I do the hand-sewing part of the little quilt I am making for a friend.

16 comments:

  1. Nice idea with the path but I hope you do not take offence here in what I say. You need to dig the path out and lay hardcore over the membrane tamp it down then lay the chipping over it. The cardboard I presume is for weed repression. You should have also lined the path with the wood first after it was dug out. Saw mill there is one over at Llansantffaed where you can get gravel board to line the path but it will rot over a few years if the ground is wet. You can visit St Bridgets Church as it is behind the sawmillhttps://thechurchexporer.blogspot.com/2014/06/st-bridgets-llansantffraed.html . If you want building materials Jewson in Builth is the nearest and if you open an account the will deliver free. Not sure where the garden centre is around the area, only one I know is the poky thing at Llandindod, The one I went to was at Lionshall. Gardens are hard work, good luck with it. Last horse race I saw was in Scotland and a hose fell at a fence breaking it's leg. Not what My wife wanted to see nor what happened to the poor thing next. Have a good day there. Cheltenham is around half way between where I live & Builth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offence taken Billy, but this hillside has the remains of an old building in/beneath it and digging is incredibly difficult. I suppose you could say the hardcore was there already! I will check out the sawmill. The best garden centre (most expensive anyway)is at Three Cocks.

      Of course, racing isn't without its fatalities, which are truly awful when that happens, but there are plenty of RTA's involving horses too, as drivers seem to think they own the road.

      Delete
  2. The sunshine forecast is very welcome
    Enjoy the horse racing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you getting the new property more to your taste. Must say you have the basis of a lovely garden starting to emerge, but then the garden of your former home was beautiful. Glad the kids are helping. Well done Danny for shifting the earth and for Tam in landing what sounds like a fab job and home and garden. Wonder who she takes after. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more roses coming my way. A lot of work to get it as I'd like it though.

      Delete
  4. You already know that the labor in a garden is endless! I creaked about all day yesterday after a mere two hours of digging and transplanting on Tuesday. I dare not groan too loudly as J. would have a comment similar to Keith's to the effect that the gardening I take on is a matter of choice rather than necessity.
    What is with cats who go outside but rush indoors to 'do their business?' Rhetorical question, of course. Too bad I can't list some of the felines as pensioners who would get a 'donation' toward the purchase of cat litter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I'm creaking today and can't sit down for too long. Keith is right of course, but although I would have preferred a smaller garden, this is the one I have and I want it to my taste.

      The cats are very impressed with the new ablution box, but have only tiddled in it so far . . .

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We've got about an acre and a half here (though some is steep woodland). Freedom all round.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to have a helper! And a future orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with him visiting more often Lizzy!

      Delete
  7. It's amazing what big strong sons can help us achieve in a few hours isn't it, that looks really good. Oh to have young muscles and stamina again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I could do with him here every weekend at the moment! My hips have been (and still are) very painful so I really pay the price for trying to get the gardening jobs done.

      Delete
  8. That was great that your son was home and could help. It is always amazing what those boys of ours can get done in a short time.

    I am envious that you get to work in your garden.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that your snow is soon melted for good Jackie. The working in the garden makes my body pay the price afterwards!

      Delete