Friday 4 March 2022

Doing some research on the history of our new home

 



Anyone who knows me knows how important history and archaeology are to me.  I live in the past, and always have done.  Therefore I felt it was important to learn about the history of our area, and the people in it, and of course, about our new home.  Not that it is a new-build of course, and yesterday when I went down to the Local History Society in town and did some research, I got its full age.  The earliest I had traced the property back on this site was 1785 but it went back further, and there was a baptism in 1732 to a family who owned the estate including this particular spot.  There were wider family also in the vicinity.  


    There were various "hatches, matches and despatches" and one former occupant left:


Wearing apparel               £10. 10 shillings

Horses and saddles           £10

Household furniture          £10

7 cows and calves             £70

Barren cattle                     £50

2 Draught horses               £16. 16 shillings

25 ewes and lambs            £15. 15 shillings

23 barren sheep                £11. 5 shillings

Pigs and poultry                 £10. 10 shillings

Horses' tack & implements

                    of husbandry  £15

Wheat and corn thrashed

               and in store         £25


Some of the estate owners were involved in the church as Reverends, and one daughter married a Surgeon in Builth.  One son was described as a "farmer" prior to his father's death, and then signed himself as "Gent" afterwards (e.g. a gentleman.)

    At its peak, the farm was 139 acres, but the actual old mansion house was in decline and by the 1870s was lived in by a farm labourer - the master of the house and his family having moved across the valley to another of the estate properties which had been left to him after his father's decease. (In separate earlier research I did I found out there was a huge falling out and a Court Case over who had what property and a desperate wriggling of the son NOT to inherit his father's debts by damaging the will.)

    Between the 1870s an 1880s it would appear that the estate was sold on to an incoming family of property and their first daughter was born here.  They subsequently built a grand new house nearby to live in and the "old mansion house" was described as unoccupied in the next census.  It was dropped where it stood, and meanwhile a new grand stable block had been built to serve the New House.  The old stable block and carriage house had already been  amalgamated and a dwelling house made out of the two end portions, although for a good while afterwards our current living room (the coach house) housed the family's chauffer-driven car. 

    Other extensions to the back of this house which show on the 1888 map, were subsequently knocked down and the ground level at the back of our house is up to the level of the kitchen windows.  The same applies to the side gardens, although those have a pathway between the house and the higher land.  As you can imagine, all that building rubble is not conducive to easy gardening!

    So, I had a lovely morning and now have a better understanding of the development of this site and our home.


Witches Butter fungus on a fallen branch.

One thing I didn't mention was that the field opposite used to be an orchard, at the time of the 1840 Tithe Map.  I will assume it was probably cider apples.  Anyway, I have been planting my own mixed orchard here on the little triangular paddock above the house.  Heritage apples have gone in so far, plus some small trees I grew from Heritage apple pips and which came with me from our old home, so it will be interesting to see which parent they take after.  Pears, plums to go in next.  The giant cooking apple Howgate Wonder was planted this morning (bought from Aldi no less), and four Crab Apples (twigs really!) bought from The Woodland Trust.


12 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff, was it quite easy to find all this information?

    Unfortunately the history of my little Lodge is somewhat shorter. Built in 2015 on the site of the old detached garage to the house, occupied by one widowed lady ... and then me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I was looking at yesterday had been written up by a local man about houses in the area, but I had much of it already from my research using Parish Records, Censuses, Tithe Map and other old maps, Newspaper Archives, etc.

    Well, at least your new home is free from the problems that often bedevil older properties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting is the history of your home. Our house is just 101 years old at least as far as the front half goes. The only reason I know that is because of the tax records I asked to look at when we discovered no insulation in the front walls of the house.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your house have any period features Jackie? I imagine you had to sort out some insulation?

      Delete
  4. Good for you to be able to find out the history of your house. Something that I have always been interested in too. Our current house was built in 1964 in an area called the Texas tract, all the streets are named after towns in Texas. The same family lived in our house since then until it was sold to us. Two rooms were added and another bathroom by the former owners. They left us the original paper work .... Before that it was a big open field on a hillside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you know your house's history and it's not so old as to give you any building worries. We have an area in the attic where the ceiling is colder and a little mould has grown but it corresponds exactly with one of the dormer windows, so they probably didn't put insulation in there.

      Thanks for the link to your other blog about your horses. You've had some lovely ones down the years. A lovely Welsh cob you rode when you last visited too. What a shame your sister won't speak to you any more - sounds like she had been building up a lot of resentment since childhood.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for looking at what I have written and your comments.

      Delete
    3. I was so sorry to read about when you were widowed. Such a shock.

      Delete
  5. I admire your tenacity in finding out about your house, it is not something I have ever tried but the I know the older part of our house was built around 1927 because I found an old cold water tank in the loft with the plumbers name on it and a date. Best of all I knew the guy as he only lived across from my mum though I never got chance to talk to him about it. At least the documents you read should be understandable, I lady (in the US)who was researching her family in Blewbury sent me a document to see if I could make it out and it was all in middle English which was very hard. I wonder if your place is named after that Orchard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no tenacity needed Billy as I absolutely LOVE to research, life is about knowledge, and learning, and understanding the world about us.

      Ah, Middle English (like Medieval Welsh) has to be learned. When I was at Uni we did a year of Paleography and some of the documents we had to decipher made you cross-eyed! Yet you would gradually get your eye in and start to recognize certain letters and flourishes and it became more legible. I even did a bit of Latin and quite enjoyed that.

      I am sure if you looked at the old maps of your area (thanks for that link the other day btw) you would know how the area developed and the village/town developed. 1927 is nearly a century now- heck, even the hideous 1960s and 70s houses which were being thrown up as I was growing up (50s vintage) are 50 and 60 yrs old now but to me they still look new! Does that make sense?

      Delete
  6. The planting of a new orchard sounds exciting. As for history the house will provide a novel for you to write, I can just imagine all those people flitting around in their time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving it but digging the holes is such hard work because of the amount of stones in the ground, then clay, and I have to practically stand on my head to dig deeper and wider!

    I think the history of many houses could provide wonderful novels. The real life stories of the family who bought the entire estate is well worth exploring, but they live just down the road and probably a biography has already been done.

    ReplyDelete