Tuesday 11 April 2023

A busy Easter

 


Aren't these beautiful flowers?  Tam gave me them as a birthday present as they all clubbed together and gave me money and I have yet to order the raised bed containers I want for the garden for veg.  Gabby brought along a lovely M&S iced Lemon Drizzle cake, and lovely scented hand wash, and they both gave me wine.  Danny and his girlfriend and her little girl will be here next weekend, overnight.  He may have to make up the spare bed first - E's little girl likes to spread out in the bed and they end up on the floor!  I have the mattress but the bed should be arriving tomorrow . . .


Yesterday was the Bank Holiday Monday Fleamarket at Malvern showground.  The weather was not kind, it rained on and off during the day, sometimes quite heavily, and had rained overnight too I think as the ground was very wet and the sellers had their cars parked on the tarmac and stalls inside in squares.  There was a LOT of rubbish.  That said, I found some nice little bits to bring home.  Sheep bell anyone?


I didn't sleep well the night before - or rather, I did sleep well but not long enough.  I woke at 3.15 (always the witching hour) and was still awake when I got up at 4.30.  Keith wasn't far behind me, but is so slow first thing that we weren't any further ahead when it came to leaving time at 6 a.m.  It became obvious when he stood up that his blood pressure was very low again - it affects his neck (makes it painful) he couldn't even shuffle, let alone walk.  It was probably as bad as it was this morning when it was 71/48 . . . (Back to the GP this week again).  Reluctantly, he decided to stay here.  Just as well as he wouldn't have done very well going round in the mud and long grass on the showground, with his mobility scooter.  When it came on to rain properly, the stalls in the undercover sheds got overwhelmed with people escaping the weather, and no room for folk on mobility scooters.  I didn't linger - I got there 5 past 8, and left 2 hours later.  As I drove homewards, there was a low "cloud rainbow" on the horizon towards Stretton Grandison, ethereal and looking like a fading bruise.  As I drew nearer it got sharper and more colourful and gradually burst into full colour.  I was so early leaving I decided to go bother a church on the way home, and tried to find Staunton on Wye church (St Mary's) but turned too soon, and ended up at Norton Canon, which was worth visiting.  I will do a post on it soon.


These are, I believe, Oxlips.  There were Cowslips on the way to the church, but these by the pathway to the church were twice the size, beefy, and had lots of flowers in a bunch at the top of the stem.  I also saw a Hobby, skimming along a foot above the road, before it swooped up and over a hedge.  I've not seen one for many years though we did have them flying in and out of our copse in the paddock, above the stream.  That was in the days when we still had Redstarts nesting there too.


A beautiful old oak tree split in two, in a field overlooked by the church.

I hope you all had a good Easter too, whatever you were doing.


14 comments:

  1. I rather like that sheep bell - they use them on goats in the Alps too. They are very collectable. I wonder how that oak tree became split in two - lightning strike perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity that someone has used Neat's Foot oil or similar too copiously and the weather is soggy and sticky now. Ach-y-fi as we say in these parts! I have a sheep bell from the Pyrenees which is more like a wide collar with lots of crotal bells on. It has a lovely tone.

      Lightening strike is certainly a possibility for that old oak. It was certainly of a venerable age.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing oak.

    Love the flower pictures.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stood all alone in that field and probably had done for the last 600 years or so - or its companions went before it. The birthday flowers give a wonderful waft of perfume whenever I am near.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flowers. Is the dark purple one on the left a ranunculus? Trudging about a flea market in muddy damp weather doesn't sound like the best day out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it gorgeous? I've just ordered some from Ebay which purport to be close to that in colour. We will see.

      I couldn't wait to get away from Malvern this time. There were so many traders with what I consider to be rubbish. Before we started going there apparently it used to be full of traders with the most amazing antiques from auctions and occasionally house clearances. Those days have gone - we got on the tail end of it, but even those days are just a memory and it has steadily been going downhill with offerings ever since. I really DON'T want to sell rusty dustbin type things! One woman had her trolley full of 1940s/50s deep enamel cake tins. Have I missed a trick?!!

      Delete
    2. Enamel ware is very popular here.

      Delete
  4. Belated wishes for your happy birthday. I'm so sorry to hear Keith's Bp is low again. It's never ending round of doctor's visits these days, isn't it? It does sound as if he made a wise decision, though, not to go to the fair. We had a wildlife experience here at the cottage. A Sparrow hawk swooping from nowhere and taking out a collared dove right in front of me. Good luck for this coming week with Keith and the Doctor. Deb in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His low BP just prevents him doing anything - he can't exercise, and struggles to move at all. We are seeing a different Dr today (the one who I found helpful), so let's hope she will be able to help things without putting him on steroids, which are NOT the way forward.

      Delete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday. Sorry to hear Keith's blood pressure is low again - hope the Dr can sort it. out Glad you had a lovely family Easter and I love the Oak tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to have missed saying ' Happy Birthday ' I'm glad you had some treats.
    I didn't know about Oxslips and I thought I knew lots about wildflowers :)
    Love the sheep bell x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK. My friend P came round on my birthday and didn't even notice all the birthday cards across the sideboard . . .

      Oxlips I have known about for many years - I begged for the Observer's Book of Wild Flowers when I was just 6, so it's been a lifelong passion.

      I got a sheep/goat yoke too - I love country things.

      Delete
  7. Well, we went to the GP today and he has to have a blood test tomorrow. Let's hope they can give him something which helps. That oak tree would be a nice one to follow through the seasons too. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete