Thursday 20 April 2023

St Nicholas Church, Norton Canon

 


A beautiful Medieval church with a late 13th C tower.  A rebuild in 1716 was sympathetically done and all the 13th C windows of the Medieval church reused, even the grisaille glass for the N Transept window and SW windows of the nave.  Muggins here overlooked the grisaille glass - only got the heads up this morning, reading my Pevsner for Herefordshire.  But in my defence, I just came across this little church when looking for another!


The 13th C tower with a splayed plinth and pyramidal roof.  You can see the mark of the earlier roofline across one of the lancet windows.



Pevsner mentions a Norman capital in the porch . . .  I was too far away to do it justice.




A very unusual base to the font, which is also 13th C so from the original church.



The Reredos and Pulpit are both Jacobean.




Quite the oddest looking church organ, which was originally powered by young boys pumping a lever (!) but was later electrified, although not until 1998 when it was restored!!


I know this is difficult to read, but I took a photo because the name Carless is a reasonably unusual one and I only recognize it from our old headmaster at Junior School, whose name was Carless.  Of course it leant itself to being changed to Careless. . .



How's that for an unusual name - Gadurgis?  Never come across that before, and his brother is Asa, also unusual.  Sadly, he drowned in NZ.



Beautifully carved capitals.


A subtly worked and coloured banner worked by the ladies of the parish.




Mrs Christiana Carless was careful to look after the poor of the parish in her Will, leaving the not inconsiderable sum of £250 to clothe the "most deserving aged Poor."



It would seem that this was an entrenched habit although John Greene clearly thought that preaching Sermons was more important than feeding the desperate!


These really pleased me, being 13th C stone coffin lids with a floriated cross design.  These were discovered during the rebuilding of the church.  



So, although I didn't go looking for it, I was delighted to have found this little church and can recommend a visit if you are in the area.  

This morning we have a visit to the Parkinsons nurse and then I must get back to the nearly all yellow bedroom and try and finish off the wall (though having moved furniture, I can't quite reach the top now as can't get the ladder close enough.)  I also desperately need to keep going in the garden especially as we have sunshine.

Kittens are wanting my time too - Pippi keeps yelling that she's on the ironing again, LOOK! and Lulu just wants me to throw one of her balls for her.  I have started letting them outside now.  You can see the difference in their characters out there.  Quiet Lulu (a worrier), stays very close to the house wall, climbing in and out of the planters and going behind them.  Her sister, on the other hand, took a look up the side of the house and then decided she would march straight out of the gate and keep going!  Twice she's been out and twice I've had to grab her before she disappears boldly down the track!


At least they're good when they're asleep . . .







12 comments:

  1. "At least they're good when they're asleep!" That made me laugh! You've got such a lot on your plate. I am glad you had an outing in the midst of all of it. I liked following along with you. What a great church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kittens make me laugh - life would be so difficult without them. The church visit was on the back of going to Malvern Fleamarket - I was away super early for once and thought I would indulge myself.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the enjoyable church tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. A special place - so many of these country churches are.

      Delete
  3. Lots to admire in this church. Is that a sun dial above the porch? One of our nearby churches (by the bridge at Greatham - Greatham so named because the river Arun here had a gritty bottom thus allowing a crossing point for the Romans to safely wade across - the Arun being the second fastest flowing river in England) has an external dial to measure the length of the sermon - important for country folk with things to do even on a Sunday. We visited a few wonderful churches on Romney Marsh when we were down that way last week. I used John Piper’s King Penguin book on Romney Marsh as my guide. In this book published in the 1940s he paints and describes about 20 churches so it is a gem of a book. My holiday treat was 500g of Romney Marsh merino fleece bought from the farm and washed and carded ready to spin and knit into a jumper for me. That is next winter blues sorted out. Good to hear the kittens are out exploring. I finally got round to direct sowing in the veg garden yesterday although we have a chilly weekend to come. Son T mowed the paths through the meadow yesterday too. He has a designer’s eye and has made the long path across the diagonal from gate to gate disappear which will make the meadow look infinite. He and S also went on a 15km off-road cycle ride which transforms S back into his old self and it was nice enough yesterday to sit in the garden for tea and toasted teacake. It has been another backward Spring. I am sure you know the poem “A Backward Spring” by Thomas Hardy - one of my favourites. Have a good day BB. I’m having two stitches out (had a 3mm punch hole biopsy taken from my face last Saturday) and then bravely going into work this afternoon. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super church. I love the foliage round the font and the old coffin lid - always interesting to find those in a church. We're in Herefordshire at the moment but been visiting castles this time. I hope the Parkinson nurse's visit was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful work.

    I woul think that the name Asa would be Scandinavian and the surname would also be originally that..but been altered over the years, long time since

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those kittens! i want to reach through the screen and cuddle them. I've kept Rosie inside even though we live a good distance from the road.
    I wonder about the 'voice' of that organ--indeed very odd in appearance.
    I see quilt block patterns in that tiled floor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re the name 'Asa'--fairly common in old New England families. There was a boy in my high school with that name, handed down from generations of his paternal line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting country church. Asa is an old Hebrew name, used here by the Amish. I hope the nurse had some helpful information. The kittens look so very sweet sleeping comfortably!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely country church. The kittens are growing by leaps and bounds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've really enjoyed catching up with your blog and the kittens are so big now. Sending you a big hug.xx

    ReplyDelete