Monday 24 April 2023

What came home with me

 I was actually fairly controlled . . . So many beautiful colour combinations appealed.  Tam was more frugal still (she and J are saving for a house of their own) and just bought one skein to knit a hat with.  These are my choices.  Sarah from Sussex may be responsible for one decision!!


I love these colours and this was in the reduced bin - only £10.



I love this combination of colours. Socks I think . . . 


Ta-dah - I just couldn't resist this gorgeous colour yarn and it is SO soft.  I know Sarah knits socks with the John Arbon range and they had so many delicious colours on their stand.  


The colour in the bottom right photo is the yarn I bought.  I should have looked at the pattern on the day as it needed 2 mini skeins of a different colour for the inner brim.  I looked up on line to choose these, and found that with postage (that was £4, a little steep) this would cost me over £16!  So the brim will be the same colour, plenty of yarn in the skein for that.  I had to buy circular needles too - had some but when we were moving I hardened my heart and got rid of my wool stash and extra bits I thought unlikely I would use . . .


Another year until the next Welsh Wonderwool, but if you live in the North of Britain, there is Yarndale in the Autumn, at Skipton in Yorkshire.  




I forgot to take photos of the bevy of books and lovely x-stitch kits I got from my dear friend G in Dorset.  She knows what I like!!



Here is Pippi in harness and lead.  I CANNOT let her outside without it, as yesterday she had me horrified when she shot out of the gate and up the lane.  Yes, Tam, of course I chased her - she was heading towards the road.  I yelled her name in desperation and she obviously got the note of panic in my voice, and stopped dead and turned.  Phew.  Yesterday I tried to put this outfit on and got my hands torn to shreds.  Today she was a bit more amenable (though it took a while) and I walked her round indoors until she got the hang of it.  Then we went out around the garden.  It was a bit like taking a fish for a walk, with leaps and lunges, but she can at least go out like this until she calms down a bit.  Lulu keeps close to the house wall and planters and is more worried about Outside.  They are like chalk and cheese . . .  Cat flap currently on lock, for the sake of my nerves!

Right, I have a 2 1/2 day Antiques Fair on the showground this weekend, time to get myself SORTED.

11 comments:

  1. Two and a half days of antiques sounds like good fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will enjoy it BUT Saturday is such a long day - have to be there at 7 a.m. when they open the doors to the Big Sheds (it's a permanent showground and this is where the animals are penned for the Royal Welsh show in July.) Keith wants to come on Saturday so Tam will be bringing him down and I get some respite whilst they're there.

      Delete
  2. Lovely choices of yarn. I especially like the turquoise one though. Oh, don't talk to me about our furry friends who do a runner. Thankfully for you, Pippi stopped when. The panic in your voice was detected. I used to have a terrible time with Gwen. She would come to within grasping distance. And as soon as I lurched, she shoots further out into the road or the field, wherever we were. Like you, I got to the point where it was on a lead all the time. I'll never forget the day I Rugby tackled her. I don't know who was the most shocked, me or the dog. It did, however, seem to put an end to her tactics of. Being a few inches out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pippi knows exactly how to ring my bells! She is quite the cleverest and naughtiest kitten I have ever met! So sorry that Gwen wasn't very amenable either! Never a dull moment . . . Well done on that Rugby tackle!

      Delete
  3. Scrumptious yarn choices, especially Devonia 4 ply which knits up with me on 4mm needles with a lovely drape. I used the colourway Burnished Bronze to knit a shawl scarf (Luzi scarf by knitwear designer Orlane Sucche who is French and has a certain je ne sais quoi!) and it has a lovely lustre too. The Exmoor sock is tougher and woolier. I knitted three pairs of socks with four 50g skeins and I wear them everyday rotating them and hand wash them gently every so often with lathered up bar soap. Good luck with the fair next weekend. Will you have help from Tam? Daughter bought a harness for her one-year-old boy cat when she moved from a flat to a house with garden and she was afraid he would run away and get lost. He is hefted now but the harness also works with her backpack cat carrier when she takes him to the vet on foot and the bus. Feeling thoroughly stretched out and relaxed after a yoga session this morning. I have a new teacher who used to be an army PT instructor - nuff said! Would love S to come along as I am sure she could work wonders with him. Have a good day BB, we are coming up to peak bluebells so we’ll be walking in the woods this afternoon, although they are looking pretty nice right now growing on the bank opposite. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Devonia feels SO soft and I can't wait for my circular needles to arrive and I get get cracking. It was lovely to be able to touch the yarns and even buy patterns especially for a certain yarn. Clever marketing idea.

      It's good to hear that the harness works and indeed is still useful. So glad I got this one on this morning without her murdering my fingers!

      That Yoga session sounds good. I hope that S will decide to come along. Keith has gone on a higher dose of the rotigodine patch for the last few days and it's done his BP no good at all. Today he's gone backwards and asked me to bring the stroller in from the stables to help him get about. It's such a worry.

      Delete
  4. Love your countryside book stash. Those wool fairs are irresistible aren't they, all the hand spun and hand dyed yarn, such talent. I remember trying to walk a cat on a lead once........:)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how different two animals from the same litter can be? (And the phrase 'chalk and cheese' has always caught my ear. As soon as I'm finished here, I am heading to Google to investigate that. That 3rd picture is a wonderful color, to my eye, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dad (Siamese) was more laid back. Pippi takes after their feral mum . . .

      I thought that yarn was just such an intense shade.

      Delete
  6. Although I don't do anything with yarn I must say the skein of purple and bronzy green looks luscious. Katharine Stewart books are ones I dip into about once a year. I was surprised to learn of her intense work at the Admiralty during WWII. Is H. E. Bates the author of The Darling Buds of May?
    Pippi: Oh dear! A cat heading for the road is a tragedy waiting to happen. And with lovely garden spaces to explore at home--why? One can't fathom the mind of a cat! I do think she can become accustomed to the harness and lead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have spells where I need to knit or crochet. The purple and bronzey green just spoke to me. I've not read Katherine Stewart before so I shall enjoy this. H E Bates did indeed write the Darling Buds of May. Don't bother with the latest series by the way, if it comes to your screens. Very badly rewritten with not credible characters.

    Pippi is just such a nutter and knows how to press my bells! Never had a kitten hurtle off like that before. We've been out on the lead this morning but she wasn't happy about it all. Lulu more adventurous now but I really don't want them to disappear into the bushes between us and the back track leading to the Big House as I can't follow them - would have to go round. Yeesh . . .

    ReplyDelete