Sunday 2 April 2023

Finally, the wonderful Misericords at St Laurence, Ludlow and Get Well Soon Billy Blue Eyes

 First of all, anyone who follows Billy Blue Eyes' church bothering blog, The Church Explorer, will like me be sad to know that he has collapsed and is currently in Intensive Care.  Hoping he is sorted and back home a.s.a.p.  Get Well Soon Billy.


Kittens are scooting about like there's no tomorrow.  Lulu is slightly less comfortable, but she did have her hernia done, and they have their painkiller drops of Loxicom with breakfast and seem fine after that.  I was down for a couple of hours in the middle of the night (again) and all the cats were on the sofa with me - the kittens taking it in turns to go in the plush bed I bought them when they were tiny.  I got a bit more of my book read but honestly, I've got a stack of books to get through a mile high and no time to read. That said, I am putting in a couple of hours a day on the family history, inputting family to Amazon Ancestry.  Retreating into the past like that is always a good coping mechanism for me.


I'll just do brief descriptions for the misericords:



I loved that they had included a beautiful modern misericord of our late Queen, riding side-saddle (as at Trooping the Colour), and we will say that the horse is Burmese, the black mare she rode for 18 consecutive years.  She was a gift from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police).



The Hart at Rest, which was the badge of Richard II (deposed by the first Lancastrian king Henry IV).


The Antelope Gorged and Chained.  This was the personal badge of the saintly Henry VI in whose reign the misericords were carved.  The Pagan Green Men either side were a reminder to parishioners to be aware of loose morals and sin.


Mermaid with (missing) comb and mirror and dolphins (love their rather human teefs!) - an anti-feminine theme as mermaids symbolized seduction.  This particular one may have been paid for by John Merbury, a patron of the living here in 1437, who had this symbolism as his crest.


A rather strange one, since the bat has the head of a young woman.  This symbolises the harpy )(or Eve!) - pretty, but rapacious and craving gratification, who uses her charms to destroy her man.  


This was my favourite - though poor owl, he was he symbol of ignorance and as a creature of the dark, symbolically was seen as shunning the light of the Gospel.   There is a very similar owl at All Souls College, Oxford so one assumes that the craftsmen travelled to wherever a cathedral or large church was being built, and plied their trades.



This lovely seasonal misericord probably represents January or February, when the countryman could sit indoors by the fire and enjoy the profit of his labours the previous year - flitches of bacon and a pot cooking over the fire.  Similar misericords may be found at Worcester cathedral, and a series of seasonal ones at Malvern Priory.


This rather splendid Griffin, with Griffin head close-ups either side, is supposedly the offspring of a lion and an eagle, and rumoured to guard hidden treasures.  This symbol of watchfulness was adopted by Edward III as a badge.  However, in the French bestiary it was symbolic of the devil.


One to make you smile - a drunken tapster drawing wine from a cask while in his left hand he still holds the bung.  Either the trusted servant abusing that trust, or a dig at a monkish cellarar with a drink problem.


Though missing their heads, this carving would seem to be a lesson on the evils of the demon drink, and probably dates to the late 14th C (based on clothing style).  


Beautifully carved bench ends showing two Angels.

And above the Misericords - such craftsmanship in all these beautiful statues and angels.

Many thanks to Peter Klein, whose descriptions of the Misericords I used, word for word in places.


Off to get a paper now.  Enjoy your Sunday.



17 comments:

  1. The word Misericord was a new one to me, and I had to wander off to google for a while. What craftsmanship. Brings to mind the pews with figures like this carved into them. I was fascinated by the ones in Chester Cathedral. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to lead you astray! The craftsmanship in these is amazing.

      Delete
  2. The carving on those misericords is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? When I think of what has been lost too, through the Reformation.

      Delete
  3. These are wonderful. Interesting that the owl symbolized ignorance, when now it's seen as being wise. Very glad to hear the kittens are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A complete change around indeed. Kittens are back to full hurtle mode now.

      Delete
  4. The misericords are beautiful and fascinating. I don't know if you know, but we have quite a collection of them in the cathedral quire, and a book has been written about them if you're interested, available through their book shop.
    Pleased to hear the kittens are doing well.
    Deb in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. It's been a while since we were there last. We went on my birthday one year, despite my m-in-law having passed away that morning (her brother chose the same timing a few years before). It's a long way for a day out now though.

      Delete
  5. Love those photos, and as a Canadian in an area where the RCMP are located I am proud that they gift the monarchs with a mount. King Charles got a new one this .

    Glad the kittens are doing well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just checked out his new horse, hoping for a photo - Noble is a lovely name isn't it and she looks gorgeous.

      Delete
  6. Awful news about Billy Blue Eyes. I do hope he is ok and recovers soon. A shock seeing your blog post about him.
    Those misericords are superb - I have a book on the meanings of them somewhere from my visit some years ago.
    Glad the kittens are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, whatever it was sounds very sudden and intensive. I hope you can visit Ludlow again soon, when it's not so busy.

      Delete
  7. I do love misericords, the ones in Nantwich Parrish church are amazing and so are the ones in the choir stalls in Manchester Cathedral that were commissioned by Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII. We have lost so much of our social history over the years, good that churches often contain reminders.
    I’m so sorry that you and Keith are having such a rough time health wise. I am going through a very similar scenario with John, and know how you both must feel
    Best wishes
    Oddny (Lesley)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley, good to hear from you again. We used to drive through Nantwich on the way to Manchester Granny's. I wasn't into churches then. Never went inside Manchester Cathedral either, but many of my husband's relatives were married there.

      Hope your husband is levelled out again soon. Keith is doing steps up and down the first step of the staircase and can do knee's up pretty high now - let's hope it carries on improving.

      Delete
  8. What does ''church bothering " mean? I tried to look it up but found nothing...also I never knew what misericords were, I think I thought some sort of ancient hymn. This was enlightening. Coincidentally same day you posted this there was an Instagram history post about misericords in Salisbury Cath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah - churches are normally happily slumbering through the weather, and then us folks who want to see what gems they contain, come and disturb their slumber! So - bothering is apt!

      I used to live just outside Salisbury, and know the city well. If I had to live in a townscape again, Salisbury would be my choice. Must look up photos of the Misericords there.

      Delete
    2. Seems to me I recently read a crime/ detective novel [series?] set in Salisbury. If I come across it again I ll pass info on. Much action around the cathedral etc. I'm adding the link for the IG history page, it is quite informative and tho only a minute or less, one can then follow up and learn more. https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqh2svFIXRD/
      @history_alice

      Delete