Wednesday 28 August 2024

Family time - and ancient photos of moi

  I shall be quiet for a couple of days (unless, of course, I am wide awake in the middle of the night again . . .)  as Danny's here, and Tam and Rosie.  Danny's working from home, but came for moral support as Tam brought Keith's ashes back with her today.  I fully expected to be totally in pieces but no, I am glad he is home, and there has been a little Gallows type humour.  I dare say the grief will hit me later, but today I have them here, in a beautiful wicker basket, and am fine.  Gabs phoned me from Greece to see if I was OK.  She said it's REALLY hot there - 32 deg C or so - about 90 deg F.  TOO hot for me.  

The lovely grey pony had been a stallion till he was about 8.  He was a Norfolk Trotter - a really rare breed.  Anyway, he ended up gelded, as a super riding pony.  I remember he had the softest coat I have ever felt on any horse.  We were having a talk on conformation here and I was talking about heart room and him being deep through the girth.

I remember temps that high back in 1976, and again in another couple of not recent summers.  Pony Club Camp one year had temps like that and I had to instruct wearing rubber riding boots and start the day with my jacket on too, for Inspection.   We were staying in the accommodation block which the grooms used (it was Salisbury Racecourse) and there were bedbugs and my legs were bitten to pieces and I was going mad with itching when the boots went on.  There was no hot water, and I was having 3 cold showers a day. It would have been 1980 or 1981 I think, when I was working for Price Waterhouse and spent my summer holiday at PC Camp.  Happy times.  There's an article featuring me in their in-house magazine - I still have a copy each for the kids upstairs.  I look very young and very slim . . . about 8 1/2 stone I think.



Looking in an antique shop window in Fisherton Street, Salisbury.  I remember I used to collect little sifter spoons (50p a time they were then) and micromosaic pieces - small brooches mainly, which didn't cost much more.


Gosh, that's been a real trip down Memory Lane.  A couple of years later, I met Keith . . . and that's another story.  Have I told you about the £1 mirror?


17 comments:

  1. I think we were all slim in 1976! Gosh that was a long, hot and very dry summer, wasn't it?
    Glad to hear you've got Keith home now. It will make a difference to how you feel, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed yes, I am cross with myself this past week as have been so tired and reaching for sugary things, so 3 lbs has crept back on. It Must Go!

      Delete
  2. £1 mirror? Do tell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did start telling the story before, so will have to find the posts.

      Delete
  3. I remember 1976. Seems like yesterday and 200 years ago... I'm sure it feels good to have Keith home again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just? Yes, Keith is currently on the coffee table . . .

      Delete
  4. What lovely pictures of you. I got married in January of 76 and was huge by the summer as I got pregnant on our honeymoon. Our eldest was born on a day in mid-October of that year.
    So glad to read that Keith is home with you.


    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a honeymoon baby. You didn't have much time to settle into married life before 2 were 3.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear you have Keith back. At one time I lived in Salisbury, was very familiar with the shops down Fisherton Street, thanks for the memories.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot in common Alison. I do miss Salisbury. If I had to live in a town setting, I would choose Salisbury. It has such a wonderful history.

      Delete
  6. 1976 - emptying the bath water for the garden against the killing heat. I am sure Keith is happy on the coffee table, keep him around for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. With our own (sometimes failing) water supply down the years, that has been a regular occurrence, I have to say.

      Keith has now gone up in the world, and is on the sideboard.

      Delete
  7. I still have Colin's ashes here - most - some were scattered at the Cottage. I'm hoping they will be buried with me sometime.
    How lovely to have an article about you and to keep for happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope having Colin's ashes with you is comforting and that you will end up together again. Yes, the PW article is something for family posterity.

      Delete
  8. You look in your element x what wonderful photos and I’m glad to hear you have some company and also that Keith’s ashes are
    safely with you x x Danette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I was. I do miss having horses, though not perhaps when the rain is coming down sideways and all the outside jobs have you soaked in next to no time.

      Delete
  9. I remember everyone going outside in amazement when the first big drops of rain hit the pavements here in 1976. That smell!

    ReplyDelete