Tuesday 6 August 2024

Getting more organized

 


Sunday saw me at the car boot sale at Clyro.  I shan't bother with that again - hardly any people through and I sold just four things!  Yet that netted me £50, so that will cover groceries for much of a couple of weeks.  I have a good store-cupboard and plenty in the freezer.   It was a lovely spot though - I had a view of the Black Mountains and Hay Bluff, and actually got inside Baskerville Hall (now a Hotel).  It has the most magnificent staircase which splits into two on a landing, and reminded me of Scarlett and Rhett's house in Gone With the Wind.

I was able to stow boxes of stock away tidily when I got back, though I did it with an overnight break.  The Utility floor is now largely visible again!  I have decided to get rid of a lot of the pre-Covid stuff on a £5 each table  at the Antiques Fair next month.  What's left I will probably give to the Charity Shops.

Tam and Rosie were here Sunday afternoon - Monday afternoon, which was lovely.  I got lots of Rosie cuddles.  She is very fractious at the moment and finds it hard to settle and her sleep pattern is all over the place.  Poor Tam is desperate for longer than one hour's unbroken sleep at night . . . 

I got busy with housework yesterday morning, and also baked a Dorset Apple Cake as I had my friend Nia visiting after lunch.  It was good to see her and catch up on her news.  I sent her home with a good hunk of the cake (it saves me from myself!!)  

Then I sat outside with the Elizabeth Chadwick book The King's Jewel, which Nia had loaned me on her last visit.  It's set in and around Carew Castle, Cenarth and Ceredigion area in the 11th C and is such a good read.  I can heartily recommend it.

I am hoping the Bonsai Hollyhocks will decide to grow now.  They were certainly looking more cheerful outside the greenhouse, so we shall see.

I took a few oddments to the Red Cross in town yesterday - some drinking glasses of Keith's mum's, which I thought had gone years ago.  A few books and some heavy denim jeans of mine which were never comfortable or flattering, and bits and bobs.  I think the two strollers Keith had may have to go to Landfill, which seems a shame, but the Red Cross said they'd had them in the past but they didn't sell.  I will leave them in the car and drop them off at the Tip today as I have an appt. with the Physio in Llandod, and will get the cat food and other bits of shopping I need whilst I'm there.  

I have culled a few more books from Keith's bookshelves for the charity shop.  I would like to have one bookcase less in there, ultimately, but that's a lot of books to shift round.  Half of the bookcase has some overflow cookery books of mine and Tamzin's and she's got no room for them so I'm stuck with them here.  The room desperately needs a new carpet, but it also needs less furniture in it before I can buy that.  My dear friend D is buying a grandfather chair and the lovely old coffer, and I am pleased it is going to the perfect home.  Then I will be stuck with 4 large bags of Tam's stuff to try and find a home for . . . The Utility could well become cluttered again!

My dear friend A has sent me the most beautiful DA rose - Scarborough Fair.  It is very like the Lark Ascending in form, only a soft pale pink fading to white.  It is gorgeous and I am going to plant it in the little square of garden by the drive, so I can see it every time I go out or come into the yard.  She chose perfectly of course, as Keith's ashes will be going to Scarborough.

Well, nearly 3.30 a.m. here.  I should go back to bed.  Danny and Gabby arrive tonight.  I am dreading tomorrow and our final farewell to Keith.  He wanted a no-fuss send off - he told me to put him in a black bin bag and leave him out for the rubbish men to collect!  Typical Keith!  Then I was talking to his cousin, who's also in her 80s, and she more or less said the same thing :)  A family trait then.  

Right, back to bed with Pippi and Lulu.


18 comments:

  1. How nice to receive a Rose named Scarborough Fair as a special gift.
    Thinking of you x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chosen with love. A perfect choice. The hardest part will be planting it as that area is built up with rubble . . . me and my trusty pickaxe will have to get to work. At least I have fresh compost and some well-rotted muck heap to help give it a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A worthwhile day even if you did only make £50.
    You are getting far more organised than I am !!

    Rosie sounds like my daughter was at that age..it gets better..honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it pretty well covered today's grocery shop, and that should last me nearly a fortnight with any luck. That includes the cats.

      I have been so disorganised whilst I cared for Keith, with less and less time to keep on top of things, and I need to try and get tidied up again, especially the masses of family history paperwork which WAS supposed to be getting less as I added folk to Ancestry!

      I will tell Tam is gets better but my friend was saying her daughter was like that too, and didn't really sleep through the night until she was 8!! The lure of mum's bed was too strong around 3 a.m. . . .

      Delete
  4. I was given a rose called Betty's Smile. It brings me great joy as I hope yours will do to you. I put mine in a gigantic pot just in case I move!
    I'm really shocked that the strollers don't sell at the Red Cross. Here they get snapped up, often before reaching the shop floor. If you have the wherewithal, try elsewhere as it's a shame to commit them to landfill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that Betty's Smile is such a special rose for you.

      Well, the Red Cross's loss was another charity shop's gain, as they happily took them and had them on display when I drove past a short while later. I wouldn't have been happy to take them to the Tip. SUCH a waste.

      Delete
  5. You have a very thoughtful friend. It will be such a lovely reminder of Keith. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do Tracy. I have been gifted some lovely plants since we've been here, and each one holds the memory of the friend strongly. Our new home gifts were pretty well all roses too :)

      Delete
  6. Go through the ceremony with the knowledge of a very happy marriage and three children and a granddaughter that Keith saw in the end. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I will Thelma. I am so glad he got to meet Rosie and have cuddles and know that his genes were passed on.

      Delete
  7. The rose is the most perfect choice. Long may it bloom. 🌹

    I hope the day goes well, with no bin bags in sight. It sounds like Keith and his cousin had a lot in common. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will take a photo later.

      The bin bags bit does make me smile. Keith never liked any fuss.

      Delete
  8. I have memorial DA roses for both of my grandparents who were very, very dear to me -- a Windemere for my Nanna (that's where she's from) and Munstead Wood for my Grandad as its colour and scent reminded me of the ones he had in his garden. I think plants/trees are the perfect memorial for lost loved ones...a reminder that life goes on, I suppose. In a more humourous vein, we planted a little crabapple tree for our last dog as she was of a rather persnickety nature ;). Thinking of you and sending you love for the 'send-off'....Melanie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie - what a beautiful choice of roses. There are so few really good white roses but that is one of them. Munstead Wood has such a beautiful colour and fragrance too. Keith loved trees, so we must plant some in his memory. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely gift from your friend. Keith's plan is not so different from my own. Put my ashes in a hole and plonk a lilac bush on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've asked to be chucked on Dartmoor, where no-one would see the tears, and where I would be "home". My dad's Devon roots go back forever.

      Delete
  10. Lovely rose. I wish you strength and calm for the day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful rose which hopefully will bring you joy. I've told my family to not to waste money on anything but the cheapest cremation and then scatter my ashes in the sea. Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete