Saturday 24 August 2024

Knee-high Dandelions!

 


I drove to Aber yesterday, firstly to meet up with Ruta, who lives there and had bought one of the Smoker's Bows from me and then to meet up with Tam.  I had a lovely chat with Ruta, and am about to add her blog to my Blog-list.

When Tam, Rosie & Jon arrived we went to Crown (no B&Q in Aber) to get my lovely green paint.  We found that their Crystal Mint was a very close match.  Their prices though!  Just as well they gave a hefty discount as paying the full £60 for it would have really hurt.  As it was, £42 for 2.5 L was bad enough.  Ouch!



Then we went to Tam's allotment.  It is just half a plot, and very overgrown - several people took a look and turned it down, so Tam got offered it. She reckoned they weren't proper gardeners if a few weeds put them off it! She had cleared some, but obviously Keith's illness and having baby Rosie making a fuss each time they went there was a big spanner in the works and she was so disheartened to find the area she'd cleared had come back with knee-high Dandelions. There were also BUSHES of Figwort (Scrophularia nodosa).  I have it here, on discrete and almost gracile stems.  I generally let it flower as the bees love it.  On Tam's plot though it was as tall as us, and about as big round.  Not sure if there is a domesticated variety but by gum, this liked where it was growing!  Even the side stems were as thick as my thumb.  Apparently it has medicinal uses, in reducing inflammation, fighting infection and helping wounds heal. It was once used for treating Hemorrhoids.

Lots of gone-over Willowherb too, but not much grass, which was good (here, I have grass and wild raspberries).  One more session should finish the clearing and I am happy to help again.  There is a sitting area, and a bench at the back, and a polytunnel which needs a new plastic cover, but all in all they have a good little plot as the soil is wonderful.  You may have seen Monty Don thrusting a fork or a spade into his soil and it damn near disappears (oh how envious I am of soil like that - my fork goes in and hits rubble from the demolished mansion).  Well, the soil at Tam's allotment is like that and has obviously been given LOTS of FYM and TLC down the years.  She's got a good one.

Jon's mum came along too, and held Rosie, who was as good as gold, having slept practically through the night before, and we all had a picnic after, sitting in the area by the polytunnel, and munching broken biscuits, chocolate and Jelly Babies.  That hit the spot.  I picked up a handful of windfall apples too, so will cook those up today and bake a cake to take for friends tomorrow.



I drove home through the mountains in wonderful sunshine, really pleased I had been able to help Tam and make a difference.  Today I shall be in my own garden.  Ed bought me up some more stable manure and I can carry on clearing the soft fruit area on the bank.  I think I have lost the baby Japanese Wineberries, but no huge loss there.  I will probably transplant the 3 Rhubarb plants to the bottom triangle, where there is a good depth of soil from rotted leaves from the beech trees.  

I need to clear the rest of the overgrown bits in the garden too, the annual autumn tidy up but that will take me through September.  


Well, this won't do.  Onwards and upwards.

10 comments:

  1. I think we sum this up by saying A Gardener's Work Is Never Done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely drive..breathtaking swoops of hillsides...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read every one of your posts and am sorry I haven't commented for a while due to personal reasons. I do admire all that you have done to make your dear husbands last days comfortable. Now you are meeting family and friends and trying to get joy from doing all the things you love while dealing with your heartache.
    I love seeing your pics of the countryside where you live.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really lovely joint family effort. Your photos are beautiful.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely family day you had, its always nice to be able to help family out. Yesterday we took a break from packing and sorting (NO DATE TO MOVE YET!), to have a day out at Little Moreton Hall nr Congleton. Its a very old Tudor farmhouse and the NT volunteers dress as they would have done then. Fascinating building and we treated ourselves to lunch there too. Today I've done another tip trip and tried 4 shops to find the cat food Miss Sheva has decided is the one for now. Take care. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the roads that lead to Aber - almost all of them are lovely in their way. I have just returned from France, and as always am reminded that we live in a lovely place too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cloud shadows. You live in a beautiful corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The velvet green of a Welsh hillside. Brave of Tam to start a new allotment with a baby. I waited until my youngest was ‘an all day one’ at school in May 2001. I have a photo of K before she could walk sitting in the garden pulling carrots with one on its way to her mouth. A very surprised expression on her little face as she stopped midway when I said “What are you doing?” A few years later and she was an excellent weeder around crops and even better sower of seeds - tiny hands. I love this time of year. The meadow is mown, the kitchen garden is abundant, the dahlias are in full bloom and I’m still picking white sweet peas (matucana is well over), the ground is soft after all the rain so ideal for dividing and moving plants, the roses are still opening and I love the golden light highlighting the grasses. I have Stipa Gigantea, Pennisetum Hameln and Panicum Heavy Metal growing under the pergola which helps me to ignore the pigeon-chewed leaves of the lilacs. Excited about seeing your new room. Edward Bulmer has a green paint called Invisible Green which looks similar to your pic. I love a green paint too and have now used Jurassic Stone by Dulux in three rooms as well as Willow by Paint and Paper library on the half walls of the garden room (didn’t need very much paint so splurged) all linked by Elderflower Tea (Dulux) in hallway, stairs and landing. I have a lot of colour from a big yellow sofa, a squishy pink linen armchair and a sea-blue fabric on my Trafalgar chair plus colourful old rugs, patterned curtains, lots of paintings and pottery and books and lamps and needlework cushions and stools, as well as lumps of Georgian furniture, so keeping the walls fairly neutral but not magnolia-bland works for me. I have just treated myself to a saffron yellow hand-embroidered small oblong cushion (fabric dyed and embroidered in India) for my Trafalgar chair. The fabric I chose for the seat upholstery (by Linwood in the New Forest) has tiny topaz crosses on it which reminds me of the topaz cross that Jane Austen’s sailor brother Charles gave her when he returned safely from a sea battle in the East Indies. Jane used the topaz cross in Mansfield Park when Fanny’s sailor brother William gave her a topaz cross too. Have a feeling the topaz cross is still extant in Chawton Cottage. Rambling as usual, but do check out Petersfield museum for the Edward Thomas symposium being held this year from the 4 -12 October. Many of the events, especially talks, can be accessed on-line. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a very good day, and while you are jealous of Tam's amazing soil, I am totally jealous of your views. I do miss those open and far reaching vistas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to read that you are helping Tam with her allotment. You will all have it in tip top shape very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete