Friday 2 August 2024

Chairs - and UPDATES on which have sold.

 


This is the lovely dark Smoker's Bow.  It has a double H stretcher, and is Beech and the turned parts are Ash.  The seat is probably Ash too, as it doesn't have the wild grain of Elm which was traditionally used. Probably dates from around 1900. A lovely patina. £175.

This graceful Smoker's Bow is again Beech and Ash, with a non-wild-grain Elm seat.  I don't know why someone put all that cat's cradle of wire beneath it - perhaps they feared that the legs would become lose at some point (that they certainly aren't!).  It could be removed, but we just used the chair in the kitchen and left as is.  The price (£110) reflects this.  Smoker's Bows normally retail at £180 upwards, but look on line and you might get a shock at what SOME dealers are asking - £900+ on Ebay!!!  Waiting for a mug to come along thinking their chair is something special.   UPDATE:  Ruta, it's yours.  Will email you (I took that post down so you didn't have random emails from strangers!).  Keith's funeral is Thursday but I will arrange something for the following week - can deliver to Aberystwyth, then go on to Tam's.  Thank you.




Here is the very rare cane seated Smoker's Bow.  I'm taking it for professional recaning tomorrow, so it will have a totally new seat to it when offered for sale.  Again, beech and Ash construction, and probably Edwardian.  Legs have lost a tiny bit of height (1/2"?) from being dragged across hard floors, but that's part of its history.  Price £225.



A lovely  Windsor chair - often known as Grandfather chairs - with double H stretcher and fruitwood backsplat.  Late Victorian, in Ash and with an Elm seat with a lovely grain and patina.  Some height possibly lost on legs but that's part of its history.  A really lovely chair for kitchen or by an inglenook.  £145.  UPDATE:  SOLD.  So is the rocking chair I showed you the other day. 

I have another similar, but that has loose legs (it was the one in the sash clamps the other day).  4 loose legs mean that I have to make a cradle, drilling holes in a frame of wood to hold the bottom of the legs in place when it is glued.  Got this info from our carpenter, currently laid up after having a knee op.  I said it sounded a bit outside my remit, so he will do it for me when he can move around a bit better.



Yesterday I had to put my big girl's pants on and go and collect the Death Certificate from the Registrar.  She was a lovely lady, and we got on so well.  I had been dreading it, but she put me at my ease and asked some questions which had me telling her about Keith and our life together, with laughs along the way.  She said she wish we had met under different circumstances as we got on so well.  There is a set up where you phone one number and quote the reference you have, and they will inform all the necessary agencies to inform them of Keith's death, and so that makes life a lot easier for me.  I had written a list of those I had to inform and am glad I don't have to keep saying, my husband has died to complete strangers.  Tam and Rosie were with me.  They went for a walk around the Rock Park and picked some salad from the Community Garden, which we had from lunch with her lovely salad dressing.  We got a few bits from Aldi, and went home.  I had Chicken Katsu Sushi for the first time, and humous with a chilli jam topping, scooped up with Tortilla chips.  Goodness - Keith would have never touched anything along those lines - Manchester born and bred he liked his food plain and simple, no "messed up" food for HIM. . .

We had decided to have a meal in honour of Keith - all his favourite things and a good red wine.  Gabby arrived at lunchtime, having been to the Venison farm near Bwlch.  Must visit there myself as the venison steaks she got were huge.  She and Danny did a huge dish of Potato Dauphinoise and some of those carrots got used up for veg, with green beans. The wine was a 2018 vintage Muga Rioja that she had bought when she had wine vouchers from a previous job.  Oh My Goodness, but it was SO GOOD.  It was like velvet to drink.  Just perfection.  How Keith would have enjoyed it.  There was laughter and tears.  We will do the same again on his birthday to honour him, and I dare say it will be a big chunk of venison on the table on Christmas Day too.

Some of Gabby's friends had sent me flowers, and a Lemon Drizzle cake.  We never got around to eating that - though we bought some ice cream to go with it - so when one of Tam's best friends from school days arrives today, I don't have to bake.  

Right, now I need to polish the kitchen table - didn't want it reeking of Briwax when we ate our meal last night.  At Ynyswen I used to polish the furniture monthly, often on a Friday.  I need to get back into the habit - especially now there is less furniture to polish :)

It will be very quiet when they all go home today, but I have plans for the weekend so won't be stuck on my own in the house. 

I have had some lovely flowers from friends and neighbours.


I ran out of vases - couldn't find the lovely pressed glass vase of my mum's (in attic?) and Gabby and I had to go and raid a couple of charity shops for wide-topped vases (hah, one is a wine cooler!) Such a beautiful display, and of course, more tears as each bunch was delivered.  My dear friend Ann's card mentioned a David Austin rose on the way so that I will cherish and plant where I can see it every time I look out of the kitchen window.





35 comments:

  1. The flowers are lovely, I also ran out of vases and my living room was like a florists. Glad the Registrar visit went well and that number is very useful indeed. It certainly saved me dealing with people who were not listening and reading from a script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up filling it out on line. Think it dealt with his Army pension too but I need to contact them and find out for sure. Keith said I would get something like an eighth of his pension - because we married after he had left the Army.

      Delete
  2. Those flowers are beautiful. I am glad you are surrounded by so many friends and family and the Registrar sounds like a lovely person. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been so many cards too. Keith was much-loved by all who knew him.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful chairs.
    And good to celebrate with a meal together.

    Just a thought..hope you got several copies of the certificate...so many places need originals, and it saves waiting for a copy to return, to send it off again...cuts out much hanging around and worry xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is only one original and that is kept with the Registrar. Everything else is a copy which is acceptable. I found four copies to be sufficient as places are very quick to return them.

      Delete
    2. I opted for two in the end, as the Tellusonce would be doing all the contacting, so Registrar advised about buying more than I needed. His Bank will need one I'm sure, and the Army Pensions Office as well.

      Delete
  4. Love those chairs. Would you believe there was a similar in BiL's home - his Dad used it all the time. BiL threw it out when it got a bit wobbly!

    I got lots of copies of the Death Cert when Col died but with the one-off-notifying thing I didn't need as many as I thought.
    I found everyone very kind when going into various places to notify them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smack legs for your B-in-Law - they are worth good money and glue is cheap . . .

      I agree with you, everyone so kind and helpful when dealing with the notifications. The girls are going to do the Probate for me. Just as well as I am HOPELESS with anything like that - my brain goes into escape-down-a-rabbit-hole time mode!

      Delete
  5. Those flowers are certainly beautiful, as are your antique chairs. If we weren't moving to a very modern house, I would be tempted. Friends of ours also ran out of vases for flowers when their son died from cancer (only 32) and I sent her a David Austin rose which she can see from her kitchen window, I could only find one called Benjamin Britten but as her son was called Ben thought it apt. Have a great weekend, we have to go to Building Society to sort out a passbook account as they are stopping them from next February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They continue to give comfort. It's surprising how you can combine old and new in a new setting. Keith's cousin did it when she got the white-square-rooms little bungalow at the end of her daughter and son-in-law's garden in Cornwall. She had a mixture of old and new and some lovely old paintings, and it gave a nice atmosphere. All down to personal tastes though.

      The Benjamin Britten rose sounded a good choice in memory of your friend's son.

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful chairs -- imagine the stories they could tell! It sounds like you had a wonderful meal with your family...a perfect way to honour Keith and one you can do again and again. ~Melanie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't doubt they could tell some tales. What conversations THEY have been party too! The meal was lovely, and we shall continue to honour Keith in every way, even right down to labelling all those anonymous tins in his workshop! Danny and Jon are going to use it as a sort of tool and equipment Library.

      Delete
  7. I'm impressed you sold them so quick but then antiques do sell. I wobbly legs, I'd have proably just wacked them back in with a mallet after glueing them and ona flat surface sat it back on it's feet with a weight on the seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice chairs and unlike chests of drawers and bigger "lumps" of furniture, most people want/need chairs. I have to say, I am a bit with you on the glueing - but the answer I got was from a Master Carpenter, who does things more . . . classically!!

      Delete
  8. I too wouldn't get many copies of Keith's death certificate. Many places now scan and return them. The one stop inform all service is superb. I only wish it had been there when my husband died. Your chairs and flowers are lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello anon. Hoping two will be sufficient. I am waiting to see how much I get hit for with the Council Tax - I think they give a generous? 30% off for single occupancy.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you and your family are gathering in support of each other and to honor the memory of Keith. Missing someone dear is an on-going, forever response, though it changes subtly with time. Its a bit like rearranging all the furniture in a room: the former pattern intrudes on the new order of things and we tend to blunder at times, groping for the more familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have managed without my family, who have been brilliant. What a very good analogy of the response to the loss of a loved one. Most of the time I am feeling a deep sadness, a real loss for Keith's cheeky character and his ideas and plans. I miss our conversations, about all sorts of things, but I shan't miss him watching Al Jazeera news every morning, as he was a real newshound and liked to hear what was really going on in the world. Having served in the Middle East, he was always interested in the state of play there.

      Delete
  10. The flowers are lovely.

    The chairs are so interesting, but yes, bulky and space consuming. I can see why you want to sell them on. You do wonders w your "Briwax"

    I hope your solo weekend is okay. I will never forget my mom's face [grief, terror] as we said goodbye after the week's stay when my dad died. His death was very sudden, one day fine, next morning ---gone--so mom was so in shock.] I hated leaving her there alone in the house he built for them on Cape Cod.

    Be strong. Work on your quilts! Get some rest.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for some good (and needing a polish I dare say!) old kitchen chairs at Malvern in the months to come. My next challenge will be rearranging the Library so that the Courier firm can take the coffer out. At least I will have a lot more room when it's out and the pretty 18th C settle can go against that back wall.

      Your poor mum - yes, it was difficult when the kids went home, but they have been backwards and forwards this past couple of weeks and I am gradually settling in to being here alone, although I have the girls on my bed at night, purring and keeping close to me. They are all SO glad that Shadow has gone!

      Quilt making will resume next week.

      Delete
  11. It sounds as if the Registrar is the perfect person for the job. Polishing furniture is so soothing I find. It seems to be a practice that has fallen out of favour but I love a beautifully polished chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. A really lovely lady. Nice to have some intelligent conversation amongst the practicalities of the Death Certificate business.

      Delete
  12. The flowers are lovely. You've done the chairs up nicely. My father really liked old chairs and kept buying more, particularly canned ones. My mother tolerated the excess of chairs! Your meal in honor of Keith sounds delicious. I hope your weekend plans go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the flowers are fading a little now, so will have to head towards the compost heap, but they have brought my friends and family close.

      Ah yes, an excess of chairs! I recognize that one! I will be glad to have a little bit more room around the house though, being that I have "stuff" from the children here as well!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful idea: someone who does all the necessary notifications on your behalf. I cannot imagine anything more gutting than having to do that yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be time consuming and I hate waiting around for a phone call to be answered, or be in a long queue.

      Delete
  14. The meal sounds perfect. Glad some of the chairs are sold already. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps the cash flow. One of them paid for the wreath.

      Delete
  15. The flowers look so beautiful. I remember now when mum died there is just one number to contact and they get in touch with all the necessary people which is a great help and saves much distress as you say. I am pleased the family are supporting you so well and you have plans for the weekend when they have gone home. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now tentatively planning a few special days out before winter sets in. I'd love a few days down on Dartmoor but it depends on finances and may have to wait until next year. We'll see. I have plenty to keep me busy here, but crafts are temporarily on hold.

      Delete
  16. Lovely meal, lovely flowers and handsome chairs. Glad you are being looked after
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison. It's just a day at a time right now, but I am beginning to look to the future now.

      Delete
  17. Blogger has obviously blocked my message which included my email but yes I love the chairs and would very much like to buy the one with the wires if it is still available. If so is there somewhere convenient that we could meet up? I live close to Aberystwyth but don't mind travelling your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking forward to meeting you next week. I fear I will have a date with Tam's housework afterwards!! Rosie very fractious and time-consuming and Jon would rather garden than wash up. Have to say, so do I!

    ReplyDelete