Is what my brain is singing right now. Oh my goodness, I am absolutely BUSHED. It is all the packing and lifting single handed which is so exhausting. I was tired when Keith and I did Fairs together, and he did all the lifting and packing. On my own - well, I know I will have to call on my offspring to help if I do this Fair again. That in itself is a moot point because new owners have managed to pretty well kill this fair in the single year they have been running it, just from sheer greed. Putting prices up abruptly (20% on our stalls alone and more on the ones in the two posher buildings, especially if you have a fitted stand to hand paintings or display furniture.) There are NO outside stalls up beyond the main buildings now - there used to be dozens - apart from a few under cover in the nearest outbuilding, but they used to go right up to the gate where the traders drive in to set up. There used to be LOTS to the left of the main ring too. Those are getting much fewer in number - a good third down. The two front halls are half and 2/3 empty and it is not a good look. They have managed to get rid of the stalls selling tea/coffee/chips/burgers etc, and the named breed sausages, ice cream - all stalls which had traded their for 25 years or more. The replacements have really hoiked their prices - £3.50 just for a cup of tea!!! Burgers £8.50 - £12.50, canned drinks £3! etc to cover costs.
Anyway, it was good to see old friends and make new ones, and have lovely chats with people, buying or not. I have some pennies towards my MoT and other bills. I am home. Unpacking will happen over the next couple of days and I will ask for help with the awkward tables.
Quite the strangest thing in the Fair. Much as I like the unusual, NOT for me!!!
More personal belongings on my stand - the Richard Bebb (signed) books we book when they were published - he had an open day at his premises and he was signing them then, the beautiful painted enamel white crane pot holder, the beautifully turned lignum vitae candlesticks, and behind, the Thomas Toft platter by Carole Glover, of Charles II in the oak tree. That has gone to live in a beautiful Medieval house, a forever home.
Now I am going to cook myself a tiny meal of leftovers and rice and have an early night.












No comments:
Post a Comment