Thursday 7 October 2021

A lovely new walk along the old railway line

 


Yesterday's sunrise, which looked a lot more threatening in a picture than in real life - it was a lot pinkier really.



I had spotted a cycle route when we were at Jewson's recently, so Tam and I set out to explore yesterday afternoon.  It is the old Mid-Wales railway line from Builth to Three Cocks, and then on to Hay-on-Wye, which was closed around 1960.


There's a walk the other side of the river too.  There was a lady (out of sight) walking her collie (river bank, farm left).  We'll try that next time.


Ducky Daddles having a rest on the sodden rushes on the side of the river.


There's a sign like this along the river bank in the Gro, where Keith and I walk most days.  It marks the path of the cycle route from Rhayader along the River Wye.


As an asthmatic, it was wonderful to have a non-challenging level walk (and no mud as it was tarmacced) until it joined the main road up by the back of the industrial estate.


Aberedw - a bit more of a challenge!


Lots of hawthorn berries, like drops of blood, on the trees beside the track. A few elderberries and sloes too and I had missed a good crop of blackberries.  NOW I know where to go for berries next year.


It's about a mile each way, plus the stretch across a former field opposite the showground.  


Above and below: looking back towards home - we could walk it easily from here.



    Today has been a busy day here.  Our usual walk on the Gro this morning, and a prescription collected from town. A loaf of bread put on to cook in the bread machine.   I had stripped the bed first thing, and put it in two loads of washing.  Then I had to vacuum the bed (asthmatic tip - it collects any dust mites on the mattress to which many asthmatics are allergic.)  Then of course I had to put the fresh bedding on which is always a chore when it is the red William Morris Strawberry Thief because the sheet is a very tight fit on the deep mattress so you have to fight to get it on.  I think I am going to have to unpick the seams and put inserts in.

    Then as it was dry I tackled the longest bit of the lawn which got missed last time because it came on to rain a fortnight ago and hasn't stopped since.  It was exhausting and even with the blade raised, still a challenge and I had to keep turning the mower on its side to hook out wads of long pretty wet grass which got jammed beneath.  Keith came to help a bit whilst I hoiked weeds and long grass up from the edge where it has long-overgrown the edging of pretty rolled stones. It was abandoned again as it started raining but I've got over half of it done now.  Mowing is a job I gave up at our last home and Keith took it over - now he finds it very difficult so I have had to step up to the mark again.

    Tea tonight was a very quick affair I can tell you!  Right, time to relax in front of the tv and try and make sense of one branch of my family tree on Keith's side.

16 comments:

  1. It's a baking day here too. Definitely the weather for it. I think they've recycled {pun intended} old railway lines along the coast near Llanelli and Cefn Sidan to cycle trails. Love the totem style signpost. A lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing when they do that. Anything going up between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth may be in for a shock though, if they decide to reinstate the old railway line (hope they will).

      Chocolate Apple Cake now in the oven . . .

      Delete
  2. Nothing worse than wrestling with (too tight) fitted sheets. Muscle and ligament wrenching events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mattress agreed with me! Shame, as it's a top quality sheet so I need to get my money's worth from it :)

      Delete
  3. Makes me tired just reading all you got done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mowing was the worst bit - I got a tad hot!

      Delete
  4. Mowing is one of my bugbears too, I have exactly the same trouble as you regarding struggling with lots of wet grass and so much bending down unclogging it all - boohoo! We loved seeing all the pictures of your walk specially the river ones.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, which bit of Wales are you in? We lived for 32 years in Carms, but moved 50 miles away to Powys at the start of the year and love it here. Town is only 2 miles away so on our doorstep.

      The lawn is ok when short and dry but a couple of weeks of rain meant I couldn't do the bit that was already long to start with!

      Delete
    2. We live about 20 miles from your Ladies of Llangollen house. That is why we were pleased that you enjoyed your recent trip there so much.
      Wendy (Wales)

      Delete
    3. I loved it and can't wait to visit again. Our daughter's best friend from school livesin the area.

      Delete
  5. It sounds as though you have been busy! A lovely walk at the start of the post and I love the signpost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always busy RR and our "days off" are busier still!

      Delete
  6. Its a lovely bike ride from Builth to Hay alongside the river, mostly flat all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the far side of the river from the road we drive to Hay on? I like the "flat all the way" part - not that I have a bike!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Wendy - I can't quite stand on a hilltop and wave to you then!

      Delete