Monday 4 October 2021

Another room tackled

 


    Our living room - the colour it was when we moved here.  The mirror came from a car boot sale and once we'd stuck back on one of the corner finials, it was perfect again.  Everything else came from auction - a tip to you - a fab frame always makes a picture look better than it is!!  The curtains I bought new though, from Dunelm and they are perfect for the room.  However, I HATE dull colours and the room needed some oomph.


    After - as you can see, the paint on the left is still drying!  It has really warmed the room up no end and we're pleased with this colour (Dulux "Copper Blush").  The ceramic-based lamps will now go up to the guest bedrooms.



Imari lamp bases - there are a pair of them - were bought at Oswestry Fleamarket, needing repair.  The Chinese wooden bases had had it (broken).  Replace-ment ones cost us about £15 each. Then I went looking for lampshades.  I found some absolutely stunning ones with gold-coloured interiors and Chrysanthemums on the shade, but they were very expensive and the budget didn't run to those.  These were, from memory, just over £20 each and are absolutely gorgeous.  They're not wired to use yet - that's tomorrow's job.  I can't wait to see what they look like lit up.

     Lighting can make walls look totally different, just with the tone of the shade.  Walls warm and orangey here.


    A much colder look from this shade, which is more greyish with the bulb off.

    Today K had his booster jab for Covid.  This time he was given Pfizer.  It's made him feel a bit tired but that's all so far.  We had to go to Carmarthen for it, only to find we could have actually saved our 100 mile round trip and gone to the site on our showground here in town.  I did try phoning them to see if we could, but the phone just cut off.  Ah well, we went to Charlies whilst we were down there and I got some husked sunflower seeds for the birds (much cheaper there than in town), and I also couldn't resist a big glass storage jar for £2.50.  We had a Gregg's lunch and visited an antiques centre which we once had a Unit in.  We had a wander round and a good chat with the friend of ours who was on duty there today, and then went to see our friend who has a smallholding near where we used to live.  It was SO good to see her again and catch up on news.

    We were going to come home via Brecon to get some shopping there but I shall go tomorrow instead and do our grocery shopping there and go to B&M Bargains for fat balls for the birds (it's the cheapest place to buy them).  The start of another week . . .


 

18 comments:

  1. Looks lovely and cozy Jennie. Bet it feels good to be actually putting some of your personality into the house. I love the lamps and the new lampshades. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia. It's good to feel we are making progress.

      Delete
  2. You are amazing! You do so much. The new wall color is superb, how brave you are. I only do white walls, because of the intense sea glare of sunlight, plus minimal walls in my little cottage, but I'm very impressed.

    Also your lamps --delightful.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith can't do much at present, and he was NEVER the decorator! That was always my job. Glad you like the new colour. I would have thought with your intense sea light, you could use silvery grey or a pretty blue to great effect - perhaps just on one wall to see how it looks.

      Anyhoo, it will be decorated once and after this I will count myself too old and creaking to do it again!

      Delete
  3. I love the light and shadows cast in the first light picture. You've got a good eye for collecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been doing it a long time. We know what we like and you can get away with things which aren't the real thing but good copies. Much of the furniture we have bought down the years needed Keith's skill to restore it, so it came cheaply.

      Delete
  4. Your room looks so much warmer and inviting. I love that the lighting changes the colour of the walls.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that colour you have used and agree that homes need colour (or oomph as you put it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rooms definitely need "oomph"! I cannot abide a house painted mushroom, off-white and magnolia as it is here. They kill the light too.

      Delete
  6. What gorgeous lamps, especially the Imari. How brilliant to bring back things into use and I love the wall colour.
    Something needs doing about the light-sucking grey in my living room but I just can't face the upheaval

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Imari lamps are taking some money to get them all up and running, but the end result will be worth it. The initial cost was £30 the pair, as found . . .

      You must get your b-in-law to lend a hand with de-greying your living room. How I HATE that colour - I am definitely NOT a follower of colour trends in homes. The upheaval is only once!

      Delete
  7. A warm and comfortable colour.
    I will be interested to hear if the birds eat the B&M fat balls..we tried them last year and they turned their beaks up at them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou - we like warm colours. They didn't turn their beaks up at the B&M ones earlier in the year - I was putting 9 a day out! They smell disgusting though and are probably not terribly healthy for them.

      Delete
  8. The fat balls from Poundstretcher are good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne and welcome. Our nearest Poundstretcher is in Llandod - I'll have to check them out. Locally they are £1.50 for 6! so I don't buy those.

      Delete
  9. A lovely warm and cosy colour - I really like it. The lamps are super too. Sounds like a long trip for the booster jab! We've just had this year's flu jab - booster covid jab won't be for at least a month I think. I suspect it won't be A-Z this time though but same as Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long trip - especially to be told he could have had it on the Showground (2 miles away instead of a round trip of 100). But hey ho, we saw our friends and got some good fruit and veg at a sensible price and it was a change of scenery.

      I've got to phone up after 12 to book in for the Flu jabs next week.

      Delete