Thursday 7 April 2022

I'm busy doing . . . Something

 I hate sitting idle and so have been going through my craft trunks looking for an antique quilt I began replacing the binding on a couple of years back.  I found it at once (amazing luck) and have been watching the Jumps racing from Aintree and diligently slip stitching the binding in place.  It has seen several generations of families using it and is worn right through to the fleece lining in places.  Any actual holes I have mended.  I even managed to find the fine muslin posset rag I had looked out just for this job - though I had to dowse for it.



It is SO soft from a hundred years of use and I can just imagine snuggling down under this - it would drape itself completely over your body. The Fuschia pink I chose for the binding really makes it pop.



Every inch of it is beautifully quilted.  It must have taken the maker an entire winter of stitching on dark evenings.  Anyway, it will be going to the next Antiques Fair I do, as I have to try and cut down on the textiles I have stowed away.

        We had another kitchen chap here today to measure everything up. He was more organized that the first one (who drew everything out on graph paper).  This chap transferred it straight onto the computer he brought with him.

        I had a walk up towards the other church yesterday but my body wasn't really in the mood for it and I came back more tired than I expected.  (Note to self: MUST lose weight!)  I'll put photos up tomorrow, but meanwhile here is a taster:


Ground Ivy.



This flat trolley must have been abandoned many years ago as trees have grown up through the rotted top planks.

Theo puss has been back to the vet (yesterday) and has new antibiotics and if those don't make him poorly, I can add on the anti-inflammatory tomorrow.  He never responded properly to the last lot of a-b's so hopefully these will do the trick.  He's been sleeping a lot and isn't so snuffly.  Fingers x'd.


18 comments:

  1. There is always something to do and our pets need our care as well. That church I featured last week has a river running under it I just found out. Need to go back & check it out sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, fingers x'd Theo is mending - his sinus problem sounds better anyway but the new add-on medication has made him sick . . . Will have to speak to the vet.

      Oooh, a stream under it - is there a Holy Well anywhere in the vicinity?

      Delete
    2. No just the remains of a Abbey which Henry VIII tore down

      Delete
    3. Ah, I'm sure they knew the stream was there, so obviously a reason for building on that site. A friend I was an Uni with did a brilliant Dissertation on Strata Florida Abbey and she dowsed her way round the site and found all sorts of water courses I believe.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! I love seeing antique textiles rescued and repaired. The quilting is amazing. What does the reverse look like?

    Lovely spring photos, for us---very cold dark and grey drizzle here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reverse is the same. One edge is very worn because of so many hands down the decades tucking it up under a chin, but that adds to its charm in my mind.

      Sunshine here again today.

      Delete
  3. PS Maybe list the quilt on eBay to move it sooner, if you really want to give up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of its condition I think it needs to be seen "in the flesh" - the very softness of it is not something you can portray in photos either.

      Delete
  4. The quilt is lovely and the detail work amazing. I have my grandmother's quilt that she made for her dowry, but it is in very poor condition. The fabric is badly frayed from use. Still, I treasure it. I hope your furry family member gets well soon. Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a nice clean quilt (though I think some of the fraying of the fabric is due to someone putting it through a washing machine!) How wonderful to have your grandmother's quilt - something to treasure. Nothing like that passed on to me, sadly.

      Theo seems better, fingers x'd.

      Delete
  5. Do you make your own binding for the quilt, and how do you prepare it for such a delicate job? Curious minds want to know! I am so with you on the I want to lose weight story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I made the binding, sewing one edge on with the sewing machine, and then turning it and slip-stitching the other side. I had to trim the border on the quilt first because it had REALLY gone along one edge and needed straightening up but I used the better bits of fabric to help with its restoration.

    Losing weight postponed until weekend is past as there is a birthday-bash with the kids here, and wine will be drunken . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt and the binding you are redoing is perfect in colour.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The binding was spot on. I had some heavy woven fabric for handles on a bag I made in my patchwork class and that was the perfect match, so I just had to find the fabric to match that colour.

      Delete
  8. I so enjoyed the picture of your quilt. Reminds me of my grandmother,born in 1881, who spent the winter months quilting when she could not vegetable garden. She gave up quilting when she could see her stitches. Said it was sloppy work. I have all her quilts now. Julia in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia. Glad to bring back memories of your grandmother and so glad you have all her quilts. I can understand her giving up quilting when her eyesight wasn't good enough. No bright craft lamps back in those days.

      Delete
  9. That is such a pretty quilt--I think I'd have difficulty to part with it, although it must be more for careful enjoyment than hard use at this point in its long life.
    Having an ailing cat is such a worry--two of our boys, Nellie and Edward are looking rather seedy this spring, coming up on 10 years old. They both have good appetites, so they are getting a bit of extra tinned food every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have nowhere to display it properly that is safe from those dratted cats! It is lovely though, so soft.

      LW is still constipated - think he is scared to go outside because of the big black tom that was hanging around last month. Theo still congested, but not quite o much and has been picking up pens out of the pot of them on the table, and chucking them around!

      Delete