Tuesday 5 April 2022

St John's Church, Shobdon

 


This Grade 1 listed church at Shobdon is on the estate of the Batemans in Herefordshire. It was built by at the family's behest between 1749 - 1752 and was possibly designed by Horace Walpole.  The Hon. Richard Bateman was a friend of Walpole's and a member of his "Committee of Taste."  Inside it is an amazing froth of Strawberry Hill Gothic in white and the palest of wild Scabious blues.  Needless to say, Pevsner thinks highly of it.  Unsurprisingly it is very popular as a wedding venue.  What bride could possibly not look her best in such wonderful surroundings? 

The only fly in the ointment is that the 12th C church, with incredibly sculptured stonework of the Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture, was taken down to facilitate the new building.  Whilst the doorways and tympanums (The Shobdon Arches) were "saved" from total demolition, being rebuilt as a curiosity, their situation out on an open hillside has left them at the mercy of every wind that blows and every torrent of rain which has taken a dreadful toll.  I will do a separate post on this.


These wonderful windows were designed by William Price the Younger.


I scarcely need words to describe how pretty it was.


The Pew ends.


One of the many memorial tablets.  This one NOT to a Bateman family member, but the Bramley family. Hard to write that and not think of Apples!




This is the stunning Herefordshire Romanesque font.  Believe it or not, this was chucked in the gardens, deemed unsuitable for the new church.  The four Herefordshire lions are guardians against the powers of evil.  Early in the 20th C it was brought back into the church and reinstated in place of honour.  I should think so too!



The fireplace . . .


You'd need a head for heights with this Pulpit.


Identical chairs were placed both sides of the chancel.


Sadly the sun wasn't out behind this glorious stained glass.

This was the replacement font in the church.  I know which one I prefer.


I am currently having companies out to quote for our replacement kitchen - fortunately, our carpenter is available to fit just as the kitchen can be delivered.  Now, I wonder who we'll go with.  (Possibly NOT today's chap - wasn't at all impressed).

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you managed to visit this church, I was knocked out with it when I first saw it. The pulpit was full of junk when I visited so I could not go in it.
    https://thechurchexporer.blogspot.com/2019/07/st-john-shobden.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got some good photos Billy. No flowers or anything out when I was there. Certainly an amazing church, but my favourite bit was the old font.

      Delete
  2. A stunning church. I really like the pew ends.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so pretty. A little bit of history in the middle of nowhere!

      Delete
  3. So different from any of the churches I've visited - so white and a fireplace?
    I'm with you on ancient font being the better of the two

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the fireplace was right by the Bateman pews! I've seen ancient CI stoves in some churches, but nothing this posh.

      The ancient font is beautiful an the expression on the lions' faces priceless.

      Delete
  4. That jewelwork in those windows! Stunning. I can't imagine that font being tossed aside either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it just? With the sun shining through the light on the floor would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing church. We passed right by it last year and OH refused to stop as he doesn't like church crawling at all - I was not happy. So it is good to see your photos. The font is amazing - thank goodness it survived. I had read about the Shobdon Arches - they sound incredible too!!

    ReplyDelete